Cars

Skoda Octavia/Superb perhaps. Iā€™ve been looking at Kia Optimas lately too.

1 Like

What would you consider a fair price for removing a gearbox, replacing a clutch and flywheel, refitting a gearbox and replacing the gear oil ? Id be looking at 280ā‚¬ and thinking, a fool working for nothing

1 Like

I thought that tbh. Thatā€™s obscenely cheap.

He would have a 25% discount on the part aswell TBF. Trade discount in a auto factors is approx 25%.

1 Like

Think thatā€™s bad,I changed timing belts( wet belts on a 1.0 ecoboost Fiesta)
Quoted e1890 - before vat etc from Cork Ford centre,minus water pump,

Got it done including water pump etc for e1,100
Cash from a Ford mechanic,

Still expensive but it was due anyway next year and as I gave my son the fiesta I didnā€™t want anything going wrong and him being in college he just couldnā€™t afford to pay the likes of that

1 Like

Superb are superb

1 Like

Itā€™s crazy,I rang 4 local garageā€™s,fast fit etc to get a quote for changing brake pads on a Suzuki ignis hybrid
Varied from 130 to e220,
Eventually rocked up to a Moldovan chap on Ballinrea Rd ,( Serge)
His e30 labour charge before brake pads price works out half price on the cheapest previous quote,
Itā€™s a lottery

Thought that was a very fair price given the other quotes I was getting, thought ā‚¬2k for the same job was taking the piss, both local mechanics. In the end I picked up an Octavia for a good price, the Honda is still sitting dead outside, some cash for car fella has offered me ā‚¬200 scrap for it

2 Likes

Serge :grin::grin:.And some lads giving out about foreigners.

3 Likes

Two slices of bread for the brake pads id say.

1 Like

Heā€™s a star man ref mechanic work,but since going down the hybrid route years ago I didnā€™t need to call him much,heā€™s a decent skin

1 Like

We wouldnā€™t have the HSE without ā€™ foreigners ā€™
No operations,no one minding our elderly in care homes,
No taxi men to bring drunk Paddy home,
Etc etc

2 Likes

Al correct.

1 Like

And those so called ,
ā€™ patriots ā€™ Coolock says no etc,they boil my pish
Donā€™t get me wrong,
No passport/ work visa
No entry is my motto,
But anyone willing to work and integrate I welcome with open arms,
Muslim,Prod,Catholic,even fellas from Dublin. :blush:

6 Likes

Iā€™ve the guts of 2k to spend on jobs on the car here, so Iā€™ve decided itā€™s time to change.

@carryharry anything in particular to look out for when buying a second-hand hybrid as opposed to a second-hand petrol? Was looking at a SEAT Leon down in Drogheda at a decent price but hadnā€™t realised it was a hybrid.

Dunno if these Hybrids are all that much better value than standard petrol tbh

1 Like

Yep. I wasnā€™t in the market for a hybrid but it was coming in a few grand cheaper than the straight petrol equivalent so was gonna explore more.

Id go for it if itā€™s plug in 100%. Most of your mileage will be really cheap and hugely reduced emissions.
Iā€™m contemplating a second hand polestar.

1 Like

Pass on that last line to Bishopstown credit union for me pls,
Tell em Iā€™ll be in next July with empty pockets

Iā€™m back again to the TFK experts.

I was test driving an A3 today. Car seemed the finest and your man told me straight out that their business model is imports primarily Audis/VWs/Mercs from Japan. I knew some Japanese imports had issues as theyā€™d no immobilisers so were easy to steal, but he assured me this isnā€™t an issue with Audis as theyā€™re still European built. Has anyone gone down this route? I later enquired at a couple of other places selling Audis and they all came back with the same thing (i.e. imported from Japan).