☘ Celtic transfer window summer 2019

Some quotes from Lennon on Sky:

"(Jullien) is close, yeah.

"It’s a player that we’ve identified for a long time, even before my time here, hopefully we can get that one over the line soon.

re Turnbull: “Yeah, we are still in negotiation. Obviously there has been a little bit of a hitch on the medical side of things but both clubs are still in negotiation.”

Asked if the club had written off the transfer, Lennon replied: “Absolutely not, no.”

Good stuff.

Rumours of a few clubs in for Sinclair including Sheffield United. A straight swap for that Baldock lad would be win win for everyone.

Don’t know if there is anything to the Jorgensen links but it would be brilliant if we could get him in to partner Jullien.

Can that Zanka/Jorgensen chap play right back too? I’m not overly keen on Baldock.

I’d like that Romain Perraud chap but I guess he’s only if Tierney leaves.

He probably could but I don’t like centre backs playing anywhere other than centre back.

I’m still scarred from the days of Strachan where we had the likes of Caldwell and O’Dea filling in at midfield and full back.

Not overly keen on Baldock either but if it gets in a right back and offloads Sinclair then its two birds with the one stone - nothing to stop us from looking at another right back too and loaning out Ralston.

We’ve been linked with a few left backs - Perraud, Lowe, Boli Mbolo, Taylor - I would severly hope these are only back up/alternative options to Tierney as we have no cover there. I certainly don’t think Lowe is anywhere near starting quality.

We should be in a position for a net spend of £15-20m this summer - forget loans - they are part of the reason we have so many gaps to fill. We don’t need to sell Tierney, we can move on Ntcham and a few other fringe players as well if we need to raise anything additional. I’m pretty ok with the midfield and attack - I would prefer a starting quality left winger came in and hopefully that can be done if Sinclair is moved on and maybe another holding midfielder if we can move Mulumbu, Kouassi, Bitton on.

Who are Baldock and Perraud? What clubs are they with and what positions do they play?

Baldock Sheffield UTD ex MK Dons, right back

1 Like

Baldock is a right back/wingback who plays for Sheffield United. He has a year left to run on his contract and was their starting right wingback last season. Think he is 26.

Perraud is a left back for Lille, spent last season on loan at the other club in Paris, think they play in Ligue 2. He is in his early 20s.

1 Like

Great to see Barry Coffey from Nenagh get the start tonight in pre season. @Rocko

1 Like

Perraud looks a good player. But he’s a left back so can’t see him being signed unless Tierney leaves. He’s too good to be a sub in Scotland.

Some more detailed quotes from Lennon. Positive enough on the signings. Looks like there’s a definite price for Tierney anyway and I’m sure Arsenal have been told that.

NEIL LENNON hopes £7million Christopher Jullien will join up with Celtic in Austria in the next 48 hours.

The Hoops boss revealed he is close to making the Toulouse stopper his first summer capture.

And Lennon also confirmed he still wants to sign Motherwell’s David Turnbull - despite his medical issue.

Jullien is back in France awaiting the green light to join Celtic after agreeing terms on the deal.

Lenny said: "We are getting close with Jullien, Hopefully we can get something sorted in the next day or so.

"We have been tracking him for a while and we like we what we see with him.

"Negotiations have gone well, so it’s a case of getting the paperwork sorted.

"I like him. He’s a dominant type and very powerful.

"We are just looking for a bit more pace and power in the team to add a jag to the squad.

"He’s a quality player and he’s had a couple of really good years in the top echelons of French football.

"Hopefully we can get it over the line - but it’s not done yet.

"If we get it done, we’d look to get him to Austria as soon as possible.

“If he comes in in the next couple of days, we’d look to get some work in him before he plays.”

Lenny also hopes to seal a deal for Turnbull - but admits his big move to Celtic is now in the balance.

Celtic are now looking to renegotiate the initial £3.25m deal but Well are standing firm after talks.

Turnbull could yet stay at Fir Park - with discussions expected to continue today.

Lennon said: "There has been a glitch with the medical as you know.

"David might need have to go through some short-term pain for long-term progress.

"We still want him here - me and the club as a whole.

“It’s still ongoing, there’s still discussions going on between the clubs.

"But we’re still positive that we want him here.

"It’s between the two clubs to try to get some deal sorted out.

"The situation is through no fault of David’s. It was just something that was unforeseen.

"We are still backing the lad and we want him to be part of the club, regardless of the injury.

“Discussions are ongoing with Motherwell and hopefully we can get a positive resolution.”

Lennon still hopes to add half a dozen new players to his squad - but wants genuine quality.

He said: "I want to see the right bodies not just new bodies.

"That’s why negotiations are that bit more difficult.

"We’re determined to bring real good quality in and I’m really positive about that.

"We’re not just signing players for the sake of it.

"We’re taking our time, we’re not in a rush. We’re trying to get quality in and that sometimes takes a bit of time.

“But we know that time is of the essence for the qualifiers, but we’re working very hard in the background to get the players we want.”

NEIL LENNON has told Arsenal they’ve got no chance of landing Kieran Tierney for £15million.

SunSport understands Celtic are already looking at other left-backs - with Rapid Vienna’s Boli Mbombo the No1 target.

But Lenny insists the Gunners’ opening bid for Tierney was nowhere near Celtic’s valuation.

He said: "Arsenal are aware of what we value the player at.

"He’s on a long-term contract, he’s an asset and we don’t want to sell him.

"There have been no more bids that I’m aware of.

"It’s going to have to take a lot more than what they’ve offered the first time around to give us a decision to make.

"I’ve had a chat with Kieran as it can be a difficult decision and bit unsettling.

"I’ve been there myself so it’s important that we support him regardless of the outcome.

“His fitness progress is slow. It will be a couple of weeks yet.”

Lennon wants left-back cover even if Tierney stays and Belgian Mbombo - rated at £3m - is of interest.

Nice full-back Romain Perraud is also on the list of targets but the French side don’t want to sell.

Reports now that the Turnbull deal is off and Celtic will try go back in for him in January. Motherwell not willing to negotiate on splitting the payments. (He needs 3 or 4 months off apparently).

Confirmed by Motherwell.

Not really bothered too much about the Turnbull deal but let’s not beat around the bush here. It’s a £3m fee, Celtic still wanted to sign him despite the medical issues. So effectively the move is off over a few hundred grand. If they really wanted him they would take the punt on him or else pull out but seemingly it’s down to the money.

Of course it’s down to the money. That’s what all transfers are about.

The Motherwell statement references him being out “for an extended period”. It’s fairly obvious that would have a material effect on his value and on the structure of any payments. (And we’re talking 3m+ here, not “a few hundred grand.”)

Think the gap was £2.5m in the end. Celtic were only willing to pay £750k or thereabouts upfront versus the original £3.25m. The gap would be bridged by appearance related clauses once he was fit. I think Celtic’s stance is fair enough.

1 Like

Ireland’s Luca Connell at Celtic Park. I expect every Irish person has done the Celtic Park stadium tour at some point but I suspect this is more transfer related.

1 Like

And Luca is English/Scouse

Fair. It’s Mickey Mouse stuff.

We’re talking about a 3m fee agreed.

When the injury became apparent was it a case of Celtic looking to take him for free or was the case of them looking for a discount of a few hundred grand?

Just pay the fee if you believe has the goods. If the injury is that much cause for concern they should pull the plug entirely. Celtic have used it as a mechanism to lowball Motherwell and quite rightly Motherwell have told them to ram it.

It’s about restructuring it. Less up front. More after X appearances. Because he’s now a much higher risk than he was before.

I’m not surprised that they couldn’t come to an arrangement so potentially Motherwell aren’t being unreasonable either. But the idea that Celtic should just pay the full price up front that was agreed before his knee issue became known is absurd. And it’s a crazy argument to be pursuing.

3 Likes