☘ Celtic transfer window summer 2019

Would you get out of it @Bandage

What happens if he gets badly injured? Liam Miller, God rest him, was on the treatment table for years with Celtic being very patient and nursing him back to fitness but as soon as he had a good run of games and man utd came for him he was off. Back then it was rumoured he was getting €1m signing on fee. You couldn’t blame him. A year before that he was probably thinking he’d be back to Cork finished with football without an arse in his trousers, then suddenly he was financially secure.

In then end it was probably a good thing for his family seeing what happened to him, leaving a wife and kids. He got loads of stick at the time for going to utd but in the end did any of that really matter. I couldn’t understand people being upset back then that he was going.

Likewise with Tierney, fair enough hes supposed to be on €25k a week with Celtic but he’ll be on €75k a week with Arsenal and probably gets €2.5k signing on fee, that’s over €22m over the contract. He’s most definitely financially secure now, his family is sorted, you cant blame him.

Its a big difference to Rodgers bailing out mid season although that didn’t bother me at all. I knew he was a wanker after he had a pop at me in Tallaght.

Good luck to Kieran Tierney I say…I also have a sneaky suspicion that he didn’t really think too much of Neil Lennon as a Manager but that’s just a feeling.

3 Likes

Id say it was a hard decision, more than most footballers. He goes to the games he’s not involved in with his mates and is in the crowd. His Ma and Da travel to the games with the local CSC, he is a proper fan. I say it was seriously tough on him

1 Like

£25k a week for his 6 year contract is £7.8m. That’s before his bonuses and Adidas money. And on top of what he’s earned to date and ignoring what he could earn in his next contract. I’d say he was financially secure already.

All bolox, he was gone at the first opportunity.

A twee statement from Tierney.

He’ll be fucked if he gets injured next week and career is gone. He has a nice signing on fee from Arsenal now if anything goes tits up.

I think you’re overstating how fucked he’d be if he got injured next week. He’d still have that £8m to soften the blow.

I don’t think his primary reason for moving was money anyway.

I don’t think Tierney would have forced through the move had the bid not been accepted so I bear no ill will.

He’s at a club who actively look to push their players out door for big fees and generally only reinvest a quarter of that back into the playing squad.

If we want to be keeping players like Tierney then the mindset of the board must change. The public pronouncements from the manager and board was that we were open to selling Tierney all summer. The club did not put up a battle to keep him.

Playing for Celtic is generally boring, that’s the main issue I think

1 Like

You’ve a lovely soft side to you, looking out for the financial security of Kieran Tierney’s extended family. Ah I’m only messing. I’m 37 now and have understood how professional football works for around the last 18 months or so.

Tierney is obviously a Celtic fan but he clearly wanted to go too for professional reasons. His postgame stuff with the megaphone and the Green Brigade looks a bit silly now in hindsight.

Celtic have lost (amongst others) the following in the last year:

Rodgers, Dembele, Tierney, Boyata, Armstrong, Lustig, Roberts.

They’ve replaced them with (amongst others):

Lennon, Bayo, Bolingoli, Jullien, Elhamed, Connell, Shved.

That’s a significant collective downgrade. I know @Rocko will be very quick to defend the board as usual but Lawwell needs to get the electronic banking details out before the end of the month and facilitate the signing of 3-4 players or @Cicero_Dandi is spot on.

2 Likes

The fact the fee was known so publicly and so early in the process suggests that 25m was in his contact. He didn’t change agency last year because he wanted to spend the rest of his career with Celtic and thought that a change of agent would help him with that.

I’m largely indifferent to him now. I understand him leaving but it was his choice and that’s very clear from the Celtic statement and even from his given he doesn’t address the point at all.

His entitlement and his choice to go. But it’s not a failure on the part of anyone to keep him.

Oh I agree.

Lennon made comments last night about wanting 5 players. Unclear on how serious be was but he mentioned two full backs, a striker and wingers.

We absolutely need two full backs. The wingers depends a bit on Sinclair I think and whether Arzani is a viable option this year.

I’d like to see us replace Edouard with the next man up the way we had him ready when we lost Dembele.

Stephen McGowan reporting that Leicester came in with a £20mn bid for McGregor yesterday but Celtic didn’t want to sell him in the same window as Tierney and Desmond wouldn’t entertain selling to Rodgers.

The EPL is a behometh and, as much as Celtic fans think Celtic is the be all and end all, players want to play in it and earn the money available in it.

1 Like

Hadn’t even seen that yet. That would have been catastrophic. Glad to see Dermot standing up to the snake.

There is a contributor to this very topic who has regular face to face meetings with Mr Desmond. I will make sure that our feelings on the required investment are made clear to him.

1 Like

Would you get out of it. Do you think he will do any of that stuff with Arsenal. He is a fan and that was from the heart.

Hes been offered €22m as opposed to 6/7, he will still celebrate if we get 10 in a row, he certainly isn’t a rat

2 Likes

Will you be proud if he goes on to play well for Arsenal?

You little fanny.

I hope he goes on and does well for Arsenal.

3 Likes

Either way I don’t think Celtic put up much of a battle to keep him. He may have wished to move on but I think Celtic also wanted the money too. I don’t blame him, I think we will struggle to retain our best players when the board consistently show a lack of ambition.

I bear him no ill will. When you look at the conduct of Dembele, Boyata, Van Dijk, Rodgers etc in recent years, I think Tierney was very dignified and professional throughout the whole saga.

2 Likes

It was very clear from Tierney leaving the training camp, his explosive row with PaulTheTim, the Celtic statement, the Tierney statement, the silence from Tierney over the summer, the quotes from Lennon, that he had decided he wanted to leave if Celtic got the required money.

I agree with your second point.

Unfollowing PaulTheTim on social media was a low blow by Tierney.

2 Likes