☘ Celtic transfer window summer 2019

I don’t contend that but I don’t see the issue. Tierney may have wanted to go but I think equally Celtic wanted him to go if it meant £25m. The clause is speculative. I think Celtic should have taken a much firmer stance and if they had asked for £40m then Tierney would probably still be here without any issues or strops.

Tierney leaving has paved the way for Forrest & McGregor to follow suit down South.

Only a matter of time.

I think that’s absolute nonsense in all fairness and completely inconsistent with everything that anyone has said on the matter.

1 Like

Please explain rather than aggressively dismissing any criticism of the board without basis, again.

I’m not aggressive. You’re my friend and I’m disappointed my assertiveness could be misinterpreted as aggression.

I don’t think KT threw a strop or behaved badly or anything. But he absolutely wanted to move - even in his emotional message on Instagram he doesn’t say anything other than that. The price was known months ago, it is consistent with other arrangements with Dembele and Rodgers and Armstrong in recent seasons.

I have no doubt that Edouard and Ntcham have similar release clauses on the contracts they signed last summer.

Maybe so but I don’t think Celtic put up much of a fight. I think they should have said, £40m and we will let you leave. He was on a long term deal and we sold him on the cheap. I don’t envisage him throwing a strop and going on strike if he felt he was being priced out of a move. I don’t blame him for leaving as Celtic aren’t looking to progress when they have the resources available to attempt to.

That’s essentially it, although Forrest is 27/28 now and may have missed his window to leave. Celtic face the same challenges as teams from Holland, Portugal, Belgium, Austria and such places. The bigger leagues can offer fees and salaries to blow them out of the water and players want to experience it.

I think Celtic need to improve their scouting/trading so that replacements are already at the club and ready to step up (e.g. Christie for Armstrong, Edouard for Dembele), or at least be ready to pull the trigger on replacement signings, as well as having an actual plan as to when “assets” are sold so they don’t leave en masse and instead move on in a phased way for good fees.

The latter probably involves giving young players improved terms and long contracts if they prove themselves over 40/50 games. Celtic then know they’ll be tied down to long contracts and will command decent fees if the EPL League comes calling.

1 Like

We should be signing players in advance like we did with Shved, no forward planning, just penny pinching.

Is @Rocko not trying to make the point that the long term contract probably had a release clause within it?

That’s speculative.

Someone like Sturridge would be worth a punt for Celtic, probably want big money though

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/14-free-agents-your-club-18865426

I think if Celtic sign another striker it will be with a view to replacing Edouard down the line. Sturridge would be expensive in the short term and probably not likely to be around for the medium term which is not really what Celtic want.

Be some craic of Mario joined

1 Like

Somewhere like Celtic where he could be a God would be ideal for him

1 Like

I’d say he’d wind the Huns up something unreal

What happened with Paul the tim?

Have you ever been to any of the shithole ingerlish championship towns mate?
Glasgow and Edinburgh have by far the highest standard of living amongst the UK major cities.

Glasgow is a cracking city.

1 Like

Edouard is a better player than him though.

Linked with £900k move for Killie left back Greg Taylor.

Zenit St Petersburg are reported to have made an inquiry/enquiry (delete as appropriate) about Forrest and have metaphorically dangled £12mn in front of Celtic. Don’t think there’s any desire from club or player to deal.

No other rumours of note this morning.

PS, what’s happened to Luca Connell since signing?