Celtic Transfer Windows 2022 & 2023

thatā€™s a great bit of business for Celtic

Iā€™d interested to hear fulvios thoughts

Heā€™s also reporting that Moritz Jenz could be away to a German club. Celtic have an option to buy at the end of the season long loan but he hasnā€™t been amazing or anything. Did okay when filling in for Starfelt but hasnā€™t been involved at all for a good while. Kobayashi also got the start when CCV was injured the other night.

Rogic only a last 15 min sub for WBA.

I would have thought that they would have got far more for him.

Is he in the final year of his contract?

Giakoumakis wasnā€™t in the squad today either. It looks like these two will be away. Johnston is already in as a right back replacement and the South Korean chap is seemingly being lined up as another forward option.

The rumour is Oh and one more. Possibly Cho.

no he got a 5 year deal I think. so he would have had 2 left. 5 mil profit isnā€™t bad up front and add ons could make it 7.5 clean profitā€¦ itā€™s very rare you get profit like that on a player. Itā€™s good business I think. heā€™s 27 now and if they kept him heā€™d probably want a bigger wage and itā€™s an awkard age for getting another couple years and then losing money on him potentially as heā€™d be 31/32.

1 Like

Union Berlin a better move than Monza in fairness. He came, he did well, he gave the club a healthy profit and his replacement is already up and running. Thatā€™s the way it is for clubs outside the big leagues these days.

2 Likes

Oh, yes!

2 Likes

Jenz announced his departure on Instagram - it doesnā€™t seem to be embedding for me here. Ange is fairly ruthless when he thinks other players can serve us better, which is a good thing.

10K Likes, 473 Comments - Moritz Jenz (@moritz_jenz) on Instagram: "Dear Celtic family, Iā€™m sad to say that Iā€™m leaving the club after a short time, itā€™s been for me a fantastic period at the club. Iā€˜m very proud and honoured to have been a part of...

Oliver Abildgaard is close to sealing his move from Celtic to Aalborg.

The Danish midfielder is on the verge of finalising a switch to his homeland on an agreement until the end of the season.

Abildgaard has rarely featured for Ange Postecoglou since signing from Rubin Kazan.

Aalborg chiefs are ready to make the 26-year-old one of their top-paid players to secure a transfer.

Sources in Denmark have confirmed Celtic will cancel their agreement with Abildgaard to push the deal through and it is likely to be concluded shortly.

Sporting Director Thomas Bealum is set to beat off competition to deliver manager Erik Hamren the player in a huge deal for the North Jutland outfit.

Abildgaard gone to Hellas Verona.

Transfer business is something that Ange Postecoglou has always taken very seriously.

Working with some small budgets during his time as a No.1 throughout his career, itā€™s easy to see why the Australian is now enjoying the money Celtic have at their disposal when it comes to the market.

Since his arrival in the summer of 2021, the Scottish champions have spent in the ballpark of Ā£40million. Of course, the net spend is actually a lot lower due to the sales of the likes of Ryan Christie, Odsonne Edouard and more recently, Josip Juranovic.

Like most managers involved in the game, Postecoglou feels the summer and winter windows can be a draining time, when in reality theyā€™d much rather actually focus on purely footballing matters.

But with Alistair Johnston, Yuki Kobayashi, Tomoki Iwata and Oh Hyeon-guy all in the building, itā€™s very much a case of all the hard work thatā€™s gone into such deals has been worth it.

ā€œItā€™s important to this football club that we run a sustainable model,ā€ said Postecoglou. ā€œItā€™s not unique to us. In terms of clubs our size thatā€™s what they do.

ā€œItā€™s not about just spending money, itā€™s about spending money we have brought in and being strategic about it.

ā€œIf we were bringing in players who werenā€™t increasing in value then we wouldnā€™t be able to reinvest that into players to replace them.

ā€œAll those things have a knock-on effect and when you look at our current squad we have a great deal of value in that squad.

ā€œIf we do have to replace someone, we will have the funds to replace them with a good player and I think thatā€™s important.

ā€œItā€™s not about how much we spend, itā€™s what we spend it on. Thatā€™s much more important because I take that responsibility very seriously. We are not spending money we donā€™t have.

ā€œThroughout supporters or throughout sponsorships or through our player sales, itā€™s all money thatā€™s hard-earned. Itā€™s not just given to us. We donā€™t just have a benefactor throwing money at us.

ā€œSo, itā€™s important that that money is spent wisely. I think weā€™ve done that in the time Iā€™ve been here and weā€™ll continue to do that.ā€

Elaborating on his first dealings with football transfers, the Aussie looked back fondly to his time at South Melbourne.

He continued: ā€œI think we spent a club record fee of $5000! We got a player from a rival and I remember we did the deal in the back of the presidentā€™s car after weā€™d picked him up from his house!

ā€œDonā€™t ask me his name. It was like when I came here to Celtic - we did about seven or eight signings in two weeks. But yeah, things have changed.

ā€œThinking of my background, Iā€™ve worked at clubs with fairly low budgets which would probably surprise people working here.

ā€œBut even back then I took that part of the role seriously.

ā€œItā€™s about how you spend your money, whether thatā€™s a small amount of a large amount.

ā€œLook, when we were starting in the A-League we had a salary cap where we all spent the same which made it more of a challenge.

ā€œIf I spent my quid better than you spent your quid then Iā€™d win the league. So, Iā€™ve always taken that part of the job seriously.ā€

In terms of outgoings at the club, Josip Juranovic and Giorgos Giakoumakis are the headline names.

The former left last week to make way for Union Berlin in the Bundesliga. His move earned the Hoops around Ā£10million for the World Cup right-back.

On Giakoumakis, his deadline day switch to Atlanta is believed to have pocketed the Hoops around Ā£4million. While itā€™s not a great deal more than they paid for him only 18-months-ago, itā€™s still a profit.

It will take some time before all four of the clubā€™s new boys settle in fully. And for that reason, itā€™s difficult to gage whether Celtic are in a stronger position coming out of January than they were heading into the month.

Postecoglou added: ā€œTime will tell. In terms of our objectives going into this window I thought there were a couple of opportunities to strengthen the squad. Particularly with players identified early.

ā€œWe also knew that, more than likely, we would have a couple of exits in potentially key players like Josip and Giakoumakis.

ā€œSo, I certainly didnā€™t want to be sitting here on deadline day sweating over exits of guys like Josip or Giakoumakis without having identified replacements.

ā€œThe fact we have them already puts us in a really good position.

ā€œWith Josip and Giako going out we have brought in four players under the age of 24 for less money than we have brought in, so from that point of view we have achieved our objective.

ā€œIf they contribute to the level I think they can then I believe we will come out stronger.ā€

If anyone figured that Postecoglou would be bothered by any other clubā€™s business, particularly on deadline day, then their fingers couldnā€™t be further from the pulse.

In fact, the Aussie joked that most of the time he doesnā€™t even want to have to deal with the ins and outs his own clubā€™s dealings.

He said: ā€œIf I didnā€™t need to think about our own transfers, Iā€™d be happy, mate, let alone think about somebody elseā€™s.

ā€œNo, what I think is important is looking at our place and what weā€™re doing.

ā€œWe had some clear strategic objectives in this window and Iā€™m pleased to say from my perspective anyway that everything we wanted to get done got done.

ā€œI think that just shows weā€™re all aligned. What happens at other clubs doesnā€™t really affect us.ā€

1 Like

Iā€™m going to miss big Gio ā€¦ he really brought something different to Kyogoā€¦ type of player that needed to be playing regularly which Ange couldnā€™t guarantee ā€¦

2 Likes

Iā€™m surprised at where heā€™s going. Thought a championship side would take a punt on him , albeit Iā€™d rather live in Atlanta than Sunderland

1 Like

Beale has been devoting a few minutes in most of his press conferences to Celtic and had a bit to say last week about Ange having it easy. Ange having an indirect cut back here. This upcoming cup final will have a nice edge.

So itā€™s Kobayashi, Johnston, Iwata and Oh in.

And Juranovic, Jens, Abildgaard and Giakoumakis out.

Those try before you buy, season long loans with an option to make deals permanent are being used more by Celtic these days. Jens and Abildgaard have been moved on again fairly quickly.

Donā€™t think Giakoumakis has been officially confirmed yet but Atlanta United donā€™t have the deadline European clubs have. Ideguchi might also leave in the coming days. Iā€™d say we were trying to offload James McCarthy too but heā€™s 1.5 years into a 4 year deal and probably happy to remain in Glasgow. Weā€™d have to pay him off. I donā€™t think he was ever a signing Ange wanted.

1 Like

Was there other European clubs in for Raskin or is this Beale saying there was in order to big up the signature ?