Chorus vs Sky vs Freeview

sky sent me out a free hd box because Iā€™m such a good customer. Jaysus itā€™s some upgrade on the Sky+ box I had. Unreal.

Fucking seething here, just found out that there is no virgin media service in the area where the new house is. As much as people complain about them they do have the best broadband service. I am guessing Sky is better than Eir?

For broadband? Same thing. For TV, Sky is better, but EIR has free EIR sports

Anyone with SKY, who doesnā€™t have the HD box, should ring up SKY and demand one, generally it should work. Give them the usual spiel, etc.

I am more concerned about the broadband really than the TV.

EIR & SKY both use EIR broadband, as do Vodafone and a few others. Virgin & Magnet have their own lines as well as a few others. Depending on where you are, Vodafoneā€™s mobile broadband might work for you at reasonably high speeds

Am fucked so. No Virgin Media services at all in the area where the house is. So am stuck with the EIR broadband. :frowning:

My Sky(eir) broadband is very good in fairness never have an issue with it. After a certain speed itā€™s all equal really unless youā€™re doing some serious internetting

I have eir broadband and find it excellent

Internetting is serious business. :slight_smile: How long do Sky take to come out and do the installation?

About a week, but they do that thing where they say weā€™ll be on Friday, but itā€™s a secret at what time.

Yeah, once youā€™re on the fibre stuff itā€™s hardly noticeable. Virgin definitely have the best broadband but their tv package is shite.

If itā€™s a new house to you they will need to get line installed even if previous occupant had sky broadband there. There is a fair lead in time for this maybe 6 weeks

Is that the same of the TV as well, it will take them 6 weeks to hook me up?

Not sure about TV wouldnā€™t say so picture comes from dish rather than through phone line. Itā€™s a joke really. When I got the house there had been a Sky broadband connection for years up to fortnight before I moved in. But when they cancelled account the ā€˜lineā€™ cancelled with it and they needed to order it from eir so reliant on an eir engineer coming out to instal

That shouldnā€™t be the case if there was already a phone line. They should do all that from the exchange. I did my switch to Sky in a couple of days (a couple of years ago).

You need an agreement from previous householder to continue using the same line was the information I was given (too late)

Thatā€™s bullshit. Once they can access the socket in the house they can reactivate the line from the exchange. Iā€™d say you just got some jobsworth who was bored of listening to your rugby anecdotes on the call.

1 Like

You were probably able to poke the line out with your hook nose you coooont

1 Like

Another terrible rugby jibe