Christy Cooney - Wanker

You can’t control wild muldoon animals. Fences or culling is the only logical solution.

Also look at it this way, the GAA is unique in that the players and the fans have a real affinity with each other. They know each other, they talk to each other on the street, they grew up together, they were coached by these people. I can’t think of any other organisation in which the top players of the game would have the same affinity with the supporters.

Concentrating on Ireland only

• LOI soccer - bunch of mercenaries moving from club to club trying to earn a few bob.
  • Provencial Rugby - mixed teams with a lot of imports that your average Munster Rugby supporter would have no real connection with.
  • Club rugby - pitch invasions happen after AIL/Cup wins because these players and fans know each other and grew up together.

runt ,
im not going to question your statement about the founding of the GAA and its ethos been at the heart of the club, that is correct.
However, the situation that we have seen in croke park with upwards of 50,000 trying to charge onto a pitch is far removed from say a junior club match where a local team has won a title.
I cannot see any argument that says that it should be permitted, end of ! there are too many lunatics at matches as was personified last week and a huge crowd all stampeding to gather around one area ( hogan stand) to see a presentation is not feasible in any way.

If limerick beat cork on Saturday night and I see you “invading” I may partake for the simple reason that it may allow me to get a sneaky grab of your bird’s ass in the ensuing melee …

You can be 100% sure that if Limerick beat Cork on Saturday night there will be a mass invasion (unfortunately I won’t be there).

:clap: for the first part of the post. Some people don’t understand it and there’s no point arguing with them. The only ‘GAA man’ I can see arguing against it is the puke, probably bandage would be against it too, but it seems a fairly clear majority in favour.

they happen after LOI teams win titles too. Are the boys seriously trying to say that Rovers fans wouldn’t run on pitch if they won the LOI. Not a hope.

led by the Foynes / shanagolden crowd no doubt… :lol:

They wouldn’t bet let run onto the pitch. You’re not getting this.

Can fully see your point about charging onto the pitch even if I don’t agree it’s as dangerous as made out but can see how there’s the chance it would be.
how would you feel about them trying the controlled entry to the pitch then? Everyone is told exactly what is going to happen, gates are open and people walk onto the pitch as they would into a major concert, festival etc. Far more boozed up crowds going to these and crushes don’t seem to be a a problem as thousands gather in front of a stage with a band playing.
Losing team, ref etc would have time to get on the pitch atmosphere would be happy, absolutely no problem. Surely this is safer than trying to force an end to an almost century long tradition. I genuinely think if you disagree with this you are wumming.

I was in Dalymount last season when Bohs won the league and the fans all ran on the pitch.

Confrontational and unneccesarily violent attempts to prevent people celebrating on the pitch pose a major safety issue. The language from Cooney and McKenna is Thatcheresque and is an attempt to almost criminalise the majority of the GAA public. It seems the GAA now wish to recreate the situation in England in the 1980’s where fans were caged in like animals. We all know how that ended.

I cannot see how that would happen w/o reintroducing fencing around coker.
That’s an equally dangerous situation waiting to happen as now you will have the fans just charging the entrance gates,
Its not comparable to say a concert as the crowd are entering the field over a period of hours, here you have a mob trying to charge a number of gates ASAP to get onto a pitch all at once ( when final whistle blows)…

the situation we have now is that w/o fencing its impossible to control and then you have the events like 11th july

Its not on Gola, this traditionalist bullshit doesn’t fly with me.

Lovely subtle language from Mickee here

did fans run onto the pitch in Rotterdam in '82?

maybe let the fans on when all the players and officials are safely off the pitch but it is incredibly dangerous at present.

Oh yes, KIB Man “incredibly” dangerous.

Throw up all the near fatalities/serious injuries there have been so over the past 100 years this has gone on for.
I’m sure if it’s so incredibly danergous there will have been plenty of them.

No they didn’t.

It’s obvious you’re against tradition in the GAA mickee but I think you’re picking the wrong target here. Far more valid things to worry about.
They might as well try it the controlled entry anyway. I’d be almost certain it would work, the average All Ireland final crowd is a fairly conservative beast who wouldn’t cause much trouble if he didn’t need to. there’d be fuck all people charging any gates and the wire mesh around the rest of the ground would mean it would be far less hassle to just go with them. Who wants to dirty their sunday best or going out clothes wrestling their way over mesh when there’s a perfect way of getting on the pitch 20 yards down.
As the boys say above it’s far more dangerous to try and forcibly stop it.
Sid’s comparison with the Thatcherite policies of the 80s is very good. There’s no point treating GAA fans like hooligans when it’s quite clear to anyone with a brain, or who’s not trying to wind people up like flano or ncc, that 99.9 per cent of them are not.

Couldn’t be bothered with it any more anyway as I think the likes of runt, sid and wtb have convincingly won the argument.

Martin Sludden would be a good guy to talk with about pitch “invasions” of "celebrating " fans…

:lol: :lol: :lol:

how fuckin twee are you runt?

Hundreds of them did anyway. They beat Sligo and results elsewhere went with them if memory serves. Don’t think they got cup till the next day. Now away with ya this is about sport. If a discussion about Dungeons and Dragons crops up I’ll give you a shout.

I don’t think any of the Louth fans were celebrating