Clare Gaa 🐐 Thread mark II

It needed someone with a national profile like Dalo to come out. Davy is an RTÉ darling and criticism of his dad and the regime can be ignored, not now when Anthony Daly is saying it

What’s Colm Collins angle? Didn’t have him down as s stooge, disappointed to see him yet again coming out to bat for caherlohan and the executive. He should keep his mouth shut and stay apolitical.

Assume there is no love lost between him and Lohan.

His original comment was taken out of context I was told. He said Caherlohan was fine
 for football. That’s a far cry from saying it wasn’t a waste of money.
It’s my understanding Collins can’t stand Davy, whether that extends to Daddy I don’t know

The quotes in that Fogarty piece are hardly a second misquote.

Good man, Dalo.

2 Likes

All he says in the article is he likes the pitch in caherlohan. I wouldn’t read into that any support of the regime tbh

1 Like

Youd think Daly would train the minors or under 20s if he was that bothered.

You can’t renovate a building that is rotten from the top down. The building needs gutting.

Then you rebuild.

1 Like

It is out of his hands. He went for the senior job in 2017 and was told in no uncertain terms he wasn’t welcome.

I’d say he would take either team or one of the development squads in the morning if he was given s fair crack at it.

Token Daly mention of his time in the Limerick academy thrown in.

2 Likes

Him and Joe Mc are responsible for the Limerick hurling success story. Show some fucking respect you gurrier.

No mention of pints though, shocked.

I liked this too

That’s just not acceptable. Given what Donal and Gerry had to put up with as well, they totally overachieved in 2018. If more support had been provided to help them find that few extra percent, could Clare have got over the line against Galway in that 2018 replayed All-Ireland semi-final? If they had, would Clare have beaten Limerick in the final?

Fat Bitz’s fuckacting cost them the 2018 all Ireland :grin:

Can someone with a times sub through up Michael Foley’s article

cc @twiceasnice97

No end to Clare turmoil: off-field issues rumble on after county board meeting

Michael Foley
Sunday April 18 2021, 12.00am BST, The Sunday Times
The monthly online gathering of Clare county board began last Tuesday night with a routine thumb through the minutes from the last meeting. Jack Chaplin, the Clare chairman, had reached page five when he was stopped dead in his tracks.

At the first mention of Clare’s centre of excellence at Caherlohan, David Solon from Whitegate asked a question about the state of the pitches and the remedial work to make them resilient enough to survive the season, describing the maintenance down the years as “a monumental cock-up”. Despite over 30 years overseeing these meetings as county secretary, Pat Fitzgerald had been a relatively quiet presence since Christmas. But last week, there was something about the questions on Caherlohan and the pitches that flicked a switch.

His response was ferocious, peppered with repeated requests for delegates to back up their questions with the real figures. “There’s a myth out there about the cost of Caherlohan,” he said. “There’s 56 people at this meeting and nobody has come in to tell me what the cost is. And I’m waiting to hear.

“How much did the pitches in Caherlohan cost? [In 2019, Fitzgerald put the cost of phase one of the Caherlohan project — four pitches and ducting for future floodlighting — at €665,208.] Will somebody tell me because everybody is telling me about the cost of them. Anything that I will give you, I will prove it. Not alone has it been sanctioned by one consulting engineer, it has been done by two. One from Croke Park and one we had ourselves. Will someone tell me, please, what is this enormous sum of money that has been spent on them pitches in Caherlohan?

“I have not reacted to this for a long time, going back two years, and I’m very sorry because this has gone out of hand. I can tell you at this stage I believe myself that it is a witch hunt on myself which I believe is wrong and unfair. Will somebody tell me what the pitches in Caherlohan cost?”

In his defence of Caherlohan, Fitzgerald referred to former treasurer Bernard Keane’s description of the Caherlohan project as the “greatest achievement of his time”. Keane was also dialled into the meeting. “Ask him about it,” Fitzgerald said. Keane stayed silent.

When Solon had suggested remedial works totalling €500,000 could be required to upgrade the sand-based pitches, Fitzgerald denied the pitches were sand-based.

“I don’t know who gave you that impression,” he said.

In his own annual report for 2013, Fitzgerald had said about Caherlohan that “the sand-based pitches are ready”. Last week he said financial constraints had prevented Clare from making that investment. “There is two inches of sand [due to be] put in it,” he said. “I can’t tell you whether they were or not. It was supposed to be put in it but they were never sand-based pitches.”

Still mired in the minutes, the conversation lurched onto problems with the water quality at Caherlohan, previously described in a review of Clare hurling in 2019 as “not suitable for consumption”. Had a test been carried out after that review, asked Solon.

“Well I don’t know about that,” Chaplin replied. “Are we going through these minutes or do ye want to have a debate about what was said in the paper?”

Another question followed a few minutes later. “Has it been tested for sulphur? E-coli?” asked Kilmaley delegate Niall Romer. “When was it tested and is it going to be tested again? Because there’s a health and safety matter here that people seem to forget about.”

In response Simon Moroney, head of the board’s Caherlohan committee, confirmed the water had been tested. “I’m not sure if it’s 12 or 13 months ago,” he said, and that a new test had been arranged. Clare GAA did not respond last week to questions regarding the original report.

The meeting lasted for 80-odd minutes. The mood was sharp, bordering on toxic, the contributions and reactions capturing vividly the span of issues and emotions currently inflaming Clare GAA. At one point in the meeting a delegate can be heard remarking that another delegate on the call should “shut the f*** up”. Later, another contributor implores everyone to remember why they are here, to serve the good of Clare GAA.

The topics ranged from severe questioning of the board to a report from the new strategic review committee on their work so far, and probing the extent of their brief relating to Caherlohan. When it came to the business of governance, Chaplin was asked if the GAA’s national audit and risk committee were riding towards Clare. “They haven’t contacted me anyway,” Chaplin said. “That’s all I can say about it.”

The new audit committee appointed by GAA president Larry McCarthy after his inauguration in February is chaired by PĂĄdraig Ó CĂ©idigh. They are due to meet for the first time later this month. A GAA spokesperson confirmed last week “issues relating to Clare GAA will be on the agenda at this meeting.”

The naming of Ó CĂ©idigh as chairperson is significant. Apart from being a successful businessman and member of the board of Croke Park, Ó CĂ©idigh was also part of the audit and risk committee installed by Mayo GAA last year as part of their improved governance structures. As a senator Ó CĂ©idigh was also among the most impressive performers on the Oireachtas Committee on Transport, Tourism and Sport during the grilling of John Delaney and the FAI. With good governance in county boards across the country becoming an area of intense focus in recent years for Croke Park, Ó CĂ©idigh makes an impressive sheriff.

When his committee eventually train their sights on Clare, stones will be kicked over and more questions asked. About an hour into the meeting Romer pulled the pin from another volatile question about Fitzgerald’s contract as full-time secretary: where was the money coming from since contributions from Croke Park and the Munster Council ceased in 2016? Were Clare GAA “paying over the odds or being denied financial assistance because Pat Fitz is over 65?”

“Get your club to write in about that and we’ll provide an answer for you, OK?” Chaplin said.

“I represent my club,” Romer said. “I know,” Chaplin replied. “But I can’t answer that for you now. I’ll have to research that.”

“Can you research it and come back to us at the next meeting then?”

“Yes I can,” Chaplin said.

Seeking an answer to the question was nothing personal, Romer added. In Clare right now, everything is.

Conlon: Caherlohan centre isn’t up to scratch https://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2021/0421/1211297-conlon-caherlohan-centre-isnt-up-to-scratch/

These Centres of Excellence are some cod.

Tyrone haven’t won an All Ireland since Garvaghy was built. Kerry the same in Currans. Kildare going backwards since their place was built, Offaly the same. Galway football in Loughgeorge another waste of time. Players now want to be like Premier League footballers walking around these shiny new complexes.

All the while Dublin are training in the most basic of surroundings in Inisfallis or St Clares. Bit of humility goes a long way.

1 Like

I think the large price being paid for what amounts to quite a bit of humility and humble surrounds in Caherlohan is the very issue at hand

1 Like