29 gone in the Park

Halftime
Clare 0-6
Donegal 0-3

Seven points apiece, fifteen into the second half

Full-time
Donegal 0-14
Clare 0-9

Sounded like a meek enough submission, went a long time without a score in the second half and Donegal eventually got their act together

Hardly the same set of jerseys, surely??

Any word on Cleary injury

A badly dislocated shoulder apparently. I’ve done it a couple of times and I don’t remember being in that level of pain from it*

*I passed out when it was popped back in once :face_with_peeking_eye:

Gone for the season then?

Was away so haven’t heard anything re scan results etc. If it wasn’t too bad he could be back after Munster final maybe

Watching back the minor match here. It was a fine team performance, pretty much every player played well and worked exceptionally hard for every ball. Every sun made a contribution too.

Clare from 5 to 9 are all big men for their age and fairly ate Galway when the ball hit the ground or had to be competed for. Mescall was far more prominent watching it back on tv, especially in the first half. We already knew that Gunning and Hegarty were class and while both played well I doubt either was close to some of the exceptional performances the two have given over the part two seasons, i think that Niland’s presence had a part to play in that as they curbed him pretty well to allow the others go about their bidness.

Collins and Arthur hit some lovely scores and had some really classy possessions and turned over a heap of ball too in the first half while O’Brien and Begley fought like dogs inside. Begley roasted his man in the first half and was surprised to see him subbed so early. Thought we had about three goal chances left behind us in that first half, Collins first point he had them opened up with a man left and right but popped it over, while he turned over a puckout 40 yards out and there were two Clare men ahead of him with no Galway defenders tracking and he took a snap shot and put it wide. Begley got a point right after Niland’s goal chance which he possibly could have put the head down as well.
Fred Hegarty’s cameo was something else, hits a hollywood point from 100 yards out and then spent the rest of the half trying to do it again - he won a massive free after the 21 yard free save and block by O’Halloran too.

Galway looked like a team that was used to playing with an extra man at the back all year and weren’t really used to having their short puckouts pressed and often overdid the short stuff when in possession. They were fairly slick at times when they did work an opening and were able to move the ball at pace but their forwards didn’t look like a unit who were too used to scrapping for ball or pressuring it once it was lost. A handful of times aside, once a Clare back got possession they were able to carry it out or play a pass to a runner under very little pressure. The soft run/big wins didn’t help as they didn’t look ready for the test yesterday but they had some classy hurlers and took three excellent goals and yesterday might be worth more to them than another facile victory

5 Likes

3 more All Irelands for Clonlara is good to see as well.

1 Like

If there’s anyone looking for my 2 Clareview end tickets to swap out for city end, let me know.

Clare SFC

Group 1
Corofin
St Joseph’s D-B
KIB
St Breckans

Group 2
Eire Og
Clondegad
Miltown
Doonbeg

Group 3
Ennistymon
Kildysart
Lissycasey
Cratloe

Clare IFC

Group 1
O’Currys
Wolfe Tones
Kilmihil
Shannon Gaels

Group 2
Ennistymon
Coolmeen
Liscannor
Naomh Eoin

Group 3
Cooraclare
Kilrush
Kilfenora
The Banner

Clare SHC

Group 1
Ballyea
St Joseph’s D-B
Inaghmona
Scariff
Kilmaley

Group 2
Sixmilebridge
Crusheen
Clonlara
The Mills

Group 3
Cratloe
Newmarket
Wolfe Tones
Clooney-Quin

Group 4
Eire Og
Feakle
Broadford
Clarecastle

Clare IHC

Group 1
Tulla
Smith O’Briens
Bodyke
Kilanena
Tubber

Group 2
Corofin
Whitegate
Ruan
St Joseph’s D-B
The Mills

Group 3
The Bridge
Inamona
Parteen-Meelick
Ogonnelloe
Newmarket

How can Clare senior hurling have 17 teams?

There was 18 last year afaik.

They messed up the relegation guidelines one year and everyone stayed up. Will be back to 16 next year when they relegate 2 teams.

Was it not Covid ?

No, the old executive messed up and tried to change the rules half way through the relegation round robin. This was appealed to Munster council and they fudged it and relegated nobody. So two down last year and this year to even it out

2 Likes

Some fuckers blame everything on covid

2 qualify from every group?

Correct