Clare Gaa šŸ Thread mark II

I believe that Pat Fitz was in Wexford Park today rather than at the footballers match v Down.

The contempt that man has towards football can only be admired. Some neck on him

2 Likes

:smile:

He went where he was needed. Bad job if a man canā€™t go watch his sonā€™s game at the weekend.

Iā€™d say he is livid with the footballers progress.

1 Like

Heā€™ll be even more livid if the hurlers win a big game in the championship this year.

There will be a serious writeup in the annual report

They can take him tats a disgrace

Stop Joe. Ye wouldnā€™t open the curtains in the Bridge if Kerry and Dublin were playing football in the back garden

Hurling is our game

I have a summer of clare hurling planed

1 Like

Great to see Clare contesting and winning balls in rucks consistently. It is something which we have been terrible for a number of years. Played some nice heads up hurling at times and our workrate was the polar opposite of last week.

Morey, Cleary and Fitzgerald were excellent in the backs while Reidy and Shanahan had their moments in midfield while the forwards line put in a big shift. Shane Oā€™Donnell did a lot of foraging and grafting when he came out the field second half. Lovely cameos from Cathal Mc and Jason McCarthy as well. McInerney is a lovely finisher and a real composed ball player, probably lacks a bit of killer pace to be a 70 minute hurler at this level but is an excellent impact sub.

After a very flat performance last week things look very much on the up with Pat Oā€™Connor, Conor Ryan and Pat Donnellan coming back to full fitness in the next couple of weeks while David Mcinerney returned from travelling on Thursday and Colm Galvin is back part of the panel. With the Ballyea lads to return by the end of March the panel is nicely taking shape. Will be interesting to see how the team develops as lads arenā€™t playing as much to a plan and should be far fresher and have more energy as the year progresses.

1 Like

New management seem happy to persist with the short passing game, tbf KK just couldnā€™t handle that tactic today.

1 Like

The management will have the lads playing a mix. They will coach them to make good decisions and use of the ball, be it short or long depending on the game. Simple heads up hurling, will take time for the team to take shape and leaders to really emerge but i think we will have a decent season but are probably still a bit off winning an A/I. But they will have them sharp and well set up. The one hallmark of Moloney/Oā€™Connor has been their ability to learn very quickly from mistakes and rectify them.

Morey looked good today. He is surely ahead of Browne in the pecking order?

Browne only played corner back last week due to a lack of other options. It was either him or throw in someone like Quirke who has just joined the panel. Pat Oā€™Connor, David Mc, Oisin Oā€™Brien, Paul Flanagan et al were all unavailable

Browne is a wing back at I/C level and will be hard pushed to make the team unless he is in very good form. Browne has very good defensive instincts, is dogged and is a leader but he lacks athleticism at I/C level. He has been a very solid wing back for the past two seasons but simply doesnā€™t have the pace for corner back.

I think they want a much more direct and fast paced game. Thereā€™s still passing but itā€™s not as lateral or slow. Lads are already getting on the front foot a bit quicker.

I think the short passing is conditioned into the players more than anything else. The less experienced the player the faster and better their decision-making seems to be, and the more direct they tend to play.

Wouldnā€™t fault his effort, he is dogged alright but seems to be always on the wrong side of referees.
Is Bugler nailed on at wing back? Dunno if he has the engine for it anymore.

Again Bugler is only in the team presently due to the Ballyea lads not being available and injuries. I would be surprised if he is still starting in a months time.

1 Like

David Fitz staked a major claim to a spot today. Real barnstormer of a performance.