Clare Gaa šŸ Thread mark II

Clare 2-9 Cork 0-8 after 31. Jamie Malone goal, heā€™s had a powerful second half

Hayes saves a late Cork pen. 2-11 to 0-9 result.

Serious win for the footballers.

Massive win, almost safe now.

Results have been all over the place so not really. Good position to be though

Hurlers a point to the good at half time in Thurles after a terrible start but sounds like we have found our feet. Tipp will have a stiff breeze second half the pitch is heavy so may not be a big factor.

Thatā€™s a huge win.

Let alone the win, but very positive for the score difference which could be important yet.

1 Like

Bit of daylight visible between ourselves and Tipp today. Theyā€™d a much better platform from 5-9 and John McGrath was a threat that we had no match for in our own attack.

Some good performances all the same and 21 points wasnā€™t bad scoring. Conor McGrath, Tony Kelly, David McInerney, Colm Galvin, and Pat Oā€™Connor are probably our five most influential players and they have all to come back into the side over the next 4 or 5 weeks. As long as the management keep picking on form and creating competition we should be a stronger looking side in June than we have been for some time.

Will be interesting to see what we do at full back in the next few weeks. Dillon simply isnā€™t a sticky enough marker and tends to foul a lot. Patch or David Mc for full back and the other wing back.

Thought Cleary had a solid enough showing showing at 6 and will be kept there while Morey worked hard. Puck outs second half were poor. Too many short ones went astray and long ones gobbled up by the Tipp half backline.

Aaron Cunningham must be running out of chances at this point

Dillon could struggle for his place yet. Will depend upon what they decide to do with David Mc. He has the hurling to play anywhere and you couldnā€™t blame them if they were tempted to consider him for the half-backline. If they do put him at 3, Iā€™m not sure Dillon would get in ahead of two from Oā€™Brien, Morey, and Patch. He brings physical strength and a cool head on the ball, but at this point you would nearly prefer the instinct to drive forward that the other lads have.

The forwards are anyoneā€™s guess at this stage.

I think we can take good things out of today

1 Like

Oisin Oā€™Brien gone for the year with a cruciate injury. Big blow.

Isnā€™t he only back relatively recently after having the same injury?

Thatā€™s awful luck for him. A proper sticky corner back.

He had a knee injury but it wasnā€™t cruciate which kept him out for a couple of months over the winter.

It is not a position where we have great depth to begin with so he is a huge loss.

Thatā€™s disappointing. Our fullback line was relying on him.

Jack Browne???

We really need to give McNamara, Quirke and Oā€™Halloran proper game time between now and the end of the league. We are threadbare at corner back and all options should be given a chance to sink or swim. Not many would have thought Oisin Oā€™Brien would be the player he is 12 months ago. I dont think Shane Mc is up to it and looked nervy against Tipp and would be surprised if he is up to it while Oā€™Halloran is like Morey and a ball player as opposed to a defender.

Browne to me will do a solid if unspectacular job at wing back but doesnā€™t have the athleticism or pace for corner and I would have him wing back ahead of Bugler while Flanagan is also an option at corner he has never inspired me with confidence, just seems to be a step behind in his speed of thought.

Morey and Flanagan as corners would not inspire me with confidence for championship. Could we be looking at a situation where we are having to rob peter to pay Paul and play David Mc corner back to sure up the line. You could argue we have more depth at half back than the full back line to do so.

How about Dillon at corner-back?

He struggles in close quarters as a man marker. He might do a job up against another big strong unit but he gets caught on the wrong side too often in his positioning. I think he would do a better job at wing back possibly where he can use his power and athleticism more but I think me may struggle to make the team come June.