Compulsive Liars are hilarious

[QUOTE=“Bartosz Bereszynskiego, post: 1021351, member: 9”]He confirmed the second one was a lie in today’s Irish Independent, pal. He told that made up tale to Paul Kimmage in the lengthy feature interview in the Sindo last Sunday week but clarified the position today for whatever reason.

I’m a very astute judge of character and called him out for being a bullshitter that day on the Ryder Cup thread (McGinley could be a TFK member).

Using deduction and basic cop on and given this precedent, I’m also concluding that he didn’t actually shoulder an opponent off the pitch and knock him so far that he ended up in the car park, clattering himself into a Ford Capri and being removed unconscious.

The elevator story was clearly made up.[/QUOTE]

It wouldn’t surprise me if you are from Garda stock, @Bartosz Bereszynskiego. Your investigatory skills are outstanding

:eek:

[QUOTE=“Bartosz Bereszynskiego, post: 1021315, member: 9”]Paul McGinley.

His story about knocking out a dirty opponent when playing with Ballyboden.

His story about his quip to Tom Watson.

His story about the American golf fan in the elevator after he was name Ryder Cup captain.

A creepy compulsive liar.[/QUOTE]

Not sure about the American Golf fan one but this one is a complete lie;

PMcG: I came over to see my mum and dad for a few days last April when they were up in Donegal. There’s a big head called Horn Head not far from their house and I used to walk it every morning. I’m coming down the road and over the cattle grids and there’s a fellow putting sheep into a trailer.

“You’re that McGinley fellow, aren’t you?” he says.

I said, “Yeah.”

“You’re the captain of that thing . . . what do they call it?”

“The Ryder Cup.”

“Yeah, that’s it, you have to manage McIlroy and all them fellows.”

“Yeah,” I said, “it’s a team of 12. We’re playing against America.”

“I suppose it’s a bit like my job here,” he says. “You’re herding sheep the whole time and you don’t want one to go astray, do you?”

I said, “You know what? You’re not far off.”

[QUOTE=“Julio Geordio, post: 1021379, member: 332”]Not sure about the American Golf fan one but this one is a complete lie;

PMcG: I came over to see my mum and dad for a few days last April when they were up in Donegal. There’s a big head called Horn Head not far from their house and I used to walk it every morning. I’m coming down the road and over the cattle grids and there’s a fellow putting sheep into a trailer.

“You’re that McGinley fellow, aren’t you?” he says.

I said, “Yeah.”

“You’re the captain of that thing . . . what do they call it?”

“The Ryder Cup.”

“Yeah, that’s it, you have to manage McIlroy and all them fellows.”

“Yeah,” I said, “it’s a team of 12. We’re playing against America.”

“I suppose it’s a bit like my job here,” he says. “You’re herding sheep the whole time and you don’t want one to go astray, do you?”

I said, “You know what? You’re not far off.”[/QUOTE]

He comes across as a weirdo compulsive liar in that entire Kimmage piece.

Can you copy and paste the elevator part?

You’re Irish?!

Yeah.

My ancestors are Irish too!

Really?

We even have an Irish Ryder Cup captain now!

And so on. McGinley pretending he had a conversation with an American golf fanatic in a lift who spoke to him about McGinley being awarded the captaincy but didn’t realise he was actually speaking to McGinley himself.

Part of the “I’m not a big deal, I’m actually very modest…” persona he’s peddling.

[QUOTE=“Bartosz Bereszynskiego, post: 1021380, member: 9”]He comes across as a weirdo compulsive liar in that entire Kimmage piece.

Can you copy and paste the elevator part?

You’re Irish?!

Yeah.

My ancestors are Irish too!

Really?

We even have an Irish Ryder Cup captain now!

And so on. McGinley pretending he had a conversation with an American golf fanatic in a lift who spoke to him about McGinley being awarded the captaincy but didn’t realise he was actually speaking to McGinley himself.

Part of the “I’m not a big deal, I’m actually very modest…” persona he’s peddling.[/QUOTE]

PMcG: Yeah, there was a lovely story . . . I missed the cut that week in Abu Dhabi, my head was all over the place, and I go home and get my diary out for the two years. I had a big meeting with the Tour about the dates and the picks and where I needed to go and we decided that we were going to treat ourselves and go back to San Diego as a family for the Easter holidays.

PK: And this is special because San Diego is where you met?

PMcG: Yeah, and the kids love it there. We’re staying in a Marriott (hotel) on the I-5 freeway. It’s not that luxurious but we have inter-connecting rooms and access to the business lounge on the top floor, where you can have your breakfast free in the morning. We go to bed and wake up the next morning at 6.30 jet-lagged, so I tell Ali I’m going upstairs to get some doughnuts and coffee.

PK: To the business lounge?

PMcG: Yeah. So I put on a pair of shorts and a t-shirt and some flip flops and get into the lift and it goes up one floor and this guy gets in. He’s suited and booted and has a briefcase and is full of the joys of spring.

“Hey buddy, how you doing?”

I said, “Grand, yeah, how are you?”

“Is that an Irish accent?”

“Yeah, I’m from Ireland.”

“Oh my God, I love Ireland. My mum’s from Ireland. I live in Boston and was brought up in a Catholic Irish school.”

So the lift is going up and he’s going on about Ireland and I notice he is wearing a Ryder Cup tie from Medinah. So I change the subject:

"Were you in Medinah last year?’

“I’ve gone to the Ryder Cup for the last 20 years,” he says. "It’s the greatest event of all time. The best Ryder Cup ever was the one in Ireland in 2006, it was just amazing.’

So we get to the top floor and as we’re getting out of the lift I ask: “Will you be going to Gleneagles?” He says, “Hey man, of course I’m going to Gleneagles, we’ve got an Irish guy as captain, how could I miss it?”

(McGinley laughs)

So we go in and we’re getting our coffee and he says “Are you going to Gleneagles?” And I said, “Yeah, I might go.” He says “Buddy, see you there.”

PK: You never told him?

PMcG: I never told him.

PK: That’s a great story.

PMcG: Well, it’s one of those stories that sums up (the difference between) Tom Watson and me - that would never happen to Tom Watson in a lift in San Diego.

Its actually an okay read.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/golf/ryder-cup/paul-kimmage-interview-ryder-cup-captain-paul-mcginley-forged-in-gaa-furnace-30584751.html

I found this line rather odd. He is a professional golfer yet he books a hotel because of the free breakfast. Far too much thought was put into this lie from the spoofer

It certainly wouldn’t happen to Tom Watson in a lift in Tullamore.

The conversation would be

“Hey Buddy”

“howya, are you an American”

“yes, indeedy”

“bing, this is me, gluck”

1 Like

[QUOTE=“Esteban de la Sexface, post: 1021386, member: 2695”]It certainly wouldn’t happen to Tom Watson in a lift in Tullamore.

The conversation would be

“Hey Buddy”

“howya, are you an American”

“yes, indeedy”

“bing, this is me, gluck”[/QUOTE]

Are there even any lifts in Tullamore?

I think it was as Bandage saying he was trying to play the I’m only an ordinary fella card, I was staying in the Marriott but its on a freeway and not that fancy.

Kimmage’s reaction is brilliant: That’s a great story.

His reaction to the sheep story was ;

PK: I like it, very good.

As in, this is clearly a story you’ve made up.

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT7DEqmxnbj0v4oPwO12YzhQUfa5m_2xV-CL__CmWeSDKV_07cb

just googled it, there is one for definite.

http://www.property.ie/commercial-property/William-Street-the-Mall-Tullamore-Co-Offaly/42022/

[QUOTE=“property.ie”]We have first floor and second floor ofice space available to lease in the very centre of Tullamore. There is an elevator to the first floor so this area is wheelchair accessible
[/QUOTE]

:D:D

Did he actually say that?

[QUOTE=“Julio Geordio, post: 1021395, member: 332”]His reaction to the sheep story was ;

PK: I like it, very good.

As in, this is clearly a story you’ve made up.[/QUOTE]

Indeed. The whole piece reads like that though. I imagine Kimmage was happy for McGinley to spoof away for the benefit of the article he was going to get out of it - as you say, it’s an entertaining read. But his responses throughout as McGinley is bullshitting away are pretty telling too. Somebody like @glasagusban wouldn’t have the smarts to pick up on this.

The golf was on the telly one day. McGinley was playing but while waiting for his opponent to put, McGinley was applying lipstick or something on his lips. Clearly gay as a lord.

[QUOTE=“Julio Geordio, post: 1021383, member: 332”]PMcG: Yeah, there was a lovely story . . . I missed the cut that week in Abu Dhabi, my head was all over the place, and I go home and get my diary out for the two years. I had a big meeting with the Tour about the dates and the picks and where I needed to go and we decided that we were going to treat ourselves and go back to San Diego as a family for the Easter holidays.

PK: And this is special because San Diego is where you met?

PMcG: Yeah, and the kids love it there. We’re staying in a Marriott (hotel) on the I-5 freeway. It’s not that luxurious but we have inter-connecting rooms and access to the business lounge on the top floor, where you can have your breakfast free in the morning. We go to bed and wake up the next morning at 6.30 jet-lagged, so I tell Ali I’m going upstairs to get some doughnuts and coffee.

PK: To the business lounge?

PMcG: Yeah. So I put on a pair of shorts and a t-shirt and some flip flops and get into the lift and it goes up one floor and this guy gets in. He’s suited and booted and has a briefcase and is full of the joys of spring.

“Hey buddy, how you doing?”

I said, “Grand, yeah, how are you?”

“Is that an Irish accent?”

“Yeah, I’m from Ireland.”

“Oh my God, I love Ireland. My mum’s from Ireland. I live in Boston and was brought up in a Catholic Irish school.”

So the lift is going up and he’s going on about Ireland and I notice he is wearing a Ryder Cup tie from Medinah. So I change the subject:

"Were you in Medinah last year?’

“I’ve gone to the Ryder Cup for the last 20 years,” he says. "It’s the greatest event of all time. The best Ryder Cup ever was the one in Ireland in 2006, it was just amazing.’

So we get to the top floor and as we’re getting out of the lift I ask: “Will you be going to Gleneagles?” He says, “Hey man, of course I’m going to Gleneagles, we’ve got an Irish guy as captain, how could I miss it?”

(McGinley laughs)

So we go in and we’re getting our coffee and he says “Are you going to Gleneagles?” And I said, “Yeah, I might go.” He says “Buddy, see you there.”

PK: You never told him?

PMcG: I never told him.

PK: That’s a great story.

PMcG: Well, it’s one of those stories that sums up (the difference between) Tom Watson and me - that would never happen to Tom Watson in a lift in San Diego.

Its actually an okay read.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/golf/ryder-cup/paul-kimmage-interview-ryder-cup-captain-paul-mcginley-forged-in-gaa-furnace-30584751.html[/QUOTE]

A lad going to Ryder Cups for 20 years and wearing a Ryder Cup tie doesn’t recognise a fairly well know pro golfer

I want to believe the story is true and that it proves golf and the Ryder Cup is not a sport and is corporate entertainment where spectators are there for the occasion and free food and drink

[QUOTE=“TheUlteriorMotive, post: 1021427, member: 2272”]A lad going to Ryder Cups for 20 years and wearing a Ryder Cup tie doesn’t recognise a fairly well know pro golfer

I want to believe the story is true and that it proves golf and the Ryder Cup is not a sport and is corporate entertainment where spectators are there for the occasion and free food and drink[/QUOTE]

Kimmage should have nailed him on this one. He let him off the hook. Poor journalism.

Sign me up.

Alec*Ferguson is over to speak at Dublin Chamber of Commerce dinner in a few weeks

*Alex calls himself Alec

He left it for the reader to conclude, pal.