Cork GAA - They're going home! - sponsored by Sports Direct and Super Valu

I haven’t seen him play but if he’s good enough, it shouldn’t matter what grade he’s playing at. And to be fair, Cork’s best junior club is still better than the bones of 200 clubs or something ridiculous like that. Which means it’d be madness not to draw from junior clubs.

1 Like

He isn’t good enough, that’s the point.

I understand that. Just if they’re picking him solely on the basis of a few junior club games it wouldn’t be a great indicator

The last time cork lads gave out about a junior player being picked he turned out to be their best player in a decade.

4 Likes

I don’t know much about him tbh, as to his underage pedigree or whatever. If they brought him in just because he’s a big fella and he did well in a couple of junior matches, then that’s probably not the best idea.

But if they saw enough from him to suggest that his all-round game and decision-making are good, and he has a physique which is slightly different to maybe the bulk of the Cork panel, then it’s probably worth a shot bringing him in. He’s still pretty young… he’s probably not going to be starting for them in 2022 but could have long-term benefits the more hurling he gets into him.

2 Likes

I don’t think Cork lads ever gave out about a junior player being selected

1 Like

UCC v Cork seniors tonight might be tasty

1 Like

Think it was Sean og was quoted as saying something about some player from a club no one has ever heard of being selected or something like that.

1 Like

Maybe he wasn’t up to speed on his history, Cork have had many all Ireland winners operating at junior level

St Itas is indeed a tiny club, not many would have heard of it before Shamie

2 Likes

Correct. He was referring to Seamus Harnedy of St. Ita’s. The only Cork player to show a bit of backbone in the All-Ireland final massacre.

3 Likes

He openly criticised Harnedy being picked and based it on the fact he’d never even heard of his club

Yeah, as I said, cork’s best player in a decade.

There is no issue with selecting junior hurlers, we’ve done it plenty for years. Keane doesn’t deserve a call up at all, that’s the problem.

He’s hot n cold though typical Cork for years
No consistency

Keane is the real deal. About time he got a call up.

Does his club mate deserve a call up? Or the Liscarroll lad O’Brien?

AFAIK O’Brien and O’Flynn are already on the panel; the latter definitely is anyway. Point is, they made their way through the underage system and deserve their call up based on their performances for Cork.

1 Like

I think they might be having a look at him for full back. He is a beast. It probably won’t work but it is worth a shot.

Are you still in Singapore?

Cork team to play UCC in Canon O’Brien Cup on Friday has been announcend

1 – Ger Collins – Ballinhassig

2 – James O’Flynn – Erins Own

3 – Sean O’Leary Hayes – Midleton

4 – Sean O’Donoghue – Inniscarra (Vice Captain)

5 – Ger Millerick – Fr O Neill’s

6 – Damien Cahalane – St Finbarr’s

7 – Mark Coleman – Blarney (Captain)

8 – Tim O’Mahony – Newtownshandrum

9 – Darragh Fitzgibbon – Charleville

10 – Ciaran Joyce – Castlemartyr

11 – Colin O’Brien – Liscarrol Churchtown Gaels

12 – Seamus Harnedy – St Ita’s

13 – Alan Cadogan – Douglas

14 – Shane Kingston – Douglas

15 – Luke Meade – Newcestown

16 – Eoin Davis – St Catherine’s