Cork GAA - They're going home! - sponsored by Sports Direct and Super Valu

He’s an awesome, awesome player, but losing Sean Finn would probably not hurt us too much as we are blessed to have Richie English and possibly Mike Casey in reserve.

I can see how ye would think that but its only when lads like Finn are missing do you really see their true value. Best defender in game and is like glue to that full back line.

1 Like

I’m not disagreeing with ya, he’s awesome and he’d be a huge loss. But, of the players you mentioned, he’s the one where we have the best replacement

He is sheer class and again, he’d be a massive loss but English is by far the best player not in our starting 15 and I don’t think there’s any other county he wouldn’t start for. He’s not as good as Finn but no one is.

7 Likes

Finn is the best corner back of all time already and he has years left. There has never been a corner back as good. I said this back in 2019 and there were lads trying to tell me that Jackie Tyrell was better ffs :rollseyes:

4 Likes

English got the mother and father of a hole opening v Tipp last yr and was whipped off at half time and not seen again. Hayes’s, for an ex-forward, hurling is limited enough. The one thing Cork got right in last yrs final was to stand off him and force him to hit the ball which he wasted time and time again. His power and atleticism is obviously exceptional as Tipp found out.

I like Tyrell and he was excellent at the things he was excellent at but he was lucky to play in that team, they totally covered his vulnerabilities. I think he is overrated.

Hayes’ hurling while not the most aesthetically pleasing, is very efficient. He does things quick and gives in good ball, cant ask too much more. I think when his legs start to go a bit, he will have another life at 14 and be very good there.

1 Like

Says how good of a team Limerick are that lads are disagreeing over who their biggest loss would be. In my opinion, apart from Quaid, Limerick can afford to lose any two of their players and they’d still be considerable favourites

Tyrell didn’t break into the Kilkenny team until he almost 24? He carved out a very good career thereafter to be fair to him. I can’t imagine many were hailing him the greatest corner-back of all-time though.

Breaking news - Team regresses if they lose a big player

Lovely contribution.

He has an awful lot of all stars and is presented as a great defender on RTE, he was very good imo but would’ve had woeful arse openings every now and then on another team. Imagine him playing for Limerick or Clare back in the day on a prime Eoin Kelly.

1 Like

English got lost under a few high balls but was sick on the day, and was given fuck all protection by the people who were supposed to be reading those breaks, I wouldn’t read too much into that. He’s been superb this year. He doesn’t have the pure hurling of Finn or Nash but is a superb defender.

And, disagree on Kyle, not a natural scorer (of points) from wing-back but his deliveries are top-notch, as is his short passing. How many points did our FF line score last year from passes from Kyle? He had a few aimless wides alright but shur, the game was over, no harm in a couple of potshots at that stage. His crossfield deliveries from wing-back to Gillane are one of our main attacking weapons. He would have a purer delivery than Dan or POL who he replaced in the wing-back spot.

5 Likes

Hayes mightn’t always bit the cleanest ball, but he hits it quickly and hard. He is very easy for his forward to read. He has a great understanding of the game for a guy who is the best athlete in the game by a mile.

1 Like

They won’t know what hit them… again.

Sweet

1 Like

And they march on

I wonder will the kids of cork get homework on Monday. I know some schools didn’t get any to celebrate beating Limerick

Those were actually Limerick school kids mate :flushed:
They weren’t complaining either

1 Like