Cork GAA - They're going home! - sponsored by Sports Direct and Super Valu

Really? I’m just basing this estimation now off of challenge match results. They’ve been impressive

Grandson yeah.

Full of shit as always. They’ve been hammering everyone and are faves for Munster.

They’ll be well prepared, well coached. They may win Munster, they may not. I’m simply pointing out that they would not have been considered a particularly ‘strong’ group. Like, for example, anyone interested enough knew last year’s Cork Minors were a ‘strong’ group before they were Minors, especially people in Cork.

Will be interesting to see the U-20 team the next day - no Ben O’Connor presumably, and surely no Joyce? Daire O’Leary injured as well. Maybe Twomey center-back? Looking forward to seeing the likes of Cunningham and whoever from the Minors made it from last year - perhaps only Healy and Lyons?

Likewise, the senior team will be interesting - the Waterford game really through the cat among the pigeons. I suspect they’ll choose something very similar to the Waterford game but realistically that setup/personnel isn’t going to do anything against Waterford/Limerick in Croke Park in knock-out hurling.

That was obvious after the last few years but they still persist with Coleman at 6 and finding places for Downey, Cahalane and O Mahony in the backs, bringing back the likes of Lehane in the forwards, they weren’t good enough before and they ain’t good enough now. Cork don’t have the hurlers, that was obvious from casually viewing the Cork club championship games the last few years, loose, open hurling.

1 Like

The PROC lads reckon we should “man o man” and we have “pace to burn all over” - presumably they haven’t seen our backs play recently.

Are some of the changes being suggested by lads on podcasts, newspaper articles etc by the likes of Mark Landers, Eoin Cadogan and Anthony Daly a bit reactive or simply an indication of how Cork are a right hoop in few key positions?

Mark Coleman to centre forward was one of them, Tim O Mahony to centre forward was another. Both moves see m a bit dramatic at this stage. There was no real suggestions on how to solve the full back thing other than make the best of one of Cahalane, O;Leary and Downey

1 Like

Neutral venue may solve Cork-Kerry impasse - Independent.ie

doubt cork would agree to a neutral venue

sure cork footballers know Killarney as well as Limerick or Thurles. also where does the 2023 clash go ahead if 2022 is neutral?

Mark Coleman to 11 makes absolutely zero sense. Maybe he can do a job at midfield, but not in tandem with Fitzgibbon. O’Mahony at 11 makes more sense, it’s clear from the last day he lacks the nous to be half-back.

Realistically the likes of Coleman (and Horgan and a few others) need to be replaced, but current management won’t do it.

Cork hurling has been as soft as sh1t since every gowl decided to ape Newtown’s style. I really dont see any great change within the county to tbh at any level. Our backs cant tackle and our midfield/forwards are watery as fcuk. And yet the std outside of Wat/Lim is bog std in all counties. Cork could just as easily end up in another All Ire final as be eliminated in Munster.

2 Likes

Aye, I couldnt fathom Coleman to 11 logic at all

Coleman to midfield and Fitzgibbon to 10?

Kerry need to grow a pair and come to PUR

1 Like

If your backs actually were man-to-man, as in a lot tighter on tracking runners off the ball, that would probably help a lot! Very loose against Waterford, fellas strolling back while Waterford had multiple runners getting in support of the fella in possession.

No one goes man to man anymore regardless as the opposition just get local superiority further out the pitch and pick off points or passes inside. Teams use the ball too well these days.

Anyway it wouldn’t help the Cork backs because they have almost no pace.

Cork need to grow a pair and come to Killarney rather than be raising the SIPTU placards

The match was fixed was PUC originally. no issue with that from Kerry

The match was fixed for PUR then so Cork could make a few shillings from Ned Sheeran. No issue with that from Kerry

The match was fixed for Killarney then so a few more fans could attend the match and the munster council could collect a few extra bob. No issue with that from Kerry

The match has been fixed for 3 different venues and Kerry have objected to none of them! I am not sure why you feel Kerry should grow a pair. In fact I think they are showing remarkable patience stuck in a mess created by neighbours

I have no issue with the match getting played in PUR though I feel playing the match in Killarney makes more sense and Kerry owe Cork a match then

3 Likes

Coleman and O’Donoghue have pace

pick your Cork starting 15 Turenne?

Lehane has been good since he was brought back in and his substitution in the league final was strange, there should have been a good few off before him. He’s just a fall guy at this stage. I think that decision also shows up the management.

1 Like

That is only two of six, just proves my point.

Teams mark zonally, but when a player comes into your zone, the back has to get tight to them. And if a forward makes a support run from deep, somebody has to track them. O’Mahony in particular seems to think that that is optional. He’s a serious threat going forward but he was strolling back in defence the last day.

Obviously the forwards need to press very hard as the opposition approach their own '65 to make sure the ball in isn’t easy. Cork do that at times but it needs to be sustained.

2 Likes