Cork GAA - They're going home! - sponsored by Sports Direct and Super Valu

Hard to tell but I’m sure he has a stupid looking frown on his face & a biro in his hand to emphasize how knowledgeable he thinks he is on modern day hurling tactics.

1 Like

Limerick’s long range shooting is obscene. I know the ball travels farther now but the accuracy and reliabilty of the likes of Byrnes, Nash and Hannon to drive over points as well as the likes of Hegarty who can float wherever he wants between the 40s and swing over points at ease. Even seeing young Cathal O Neill come on and swing over a monster of a point shows that these lads arent just hounding each other in tackling and possession drills but are clearly working relentlessly on proper shooting drills. This is somewhere the rest of the country is far behind in too. Colin Coughlan and his long range shooting like arrows stuck out like a sore thumb last night for the 20s. Obviously you need the physical side to puck the ball that far out but every lad over 20 should have enough range but it is the accuracy and ability under pressure which is impressive.

Look it, those clowns on RTE can have their ipads and microsoft paint circles out if they want with their expected points and conversion rates nonsense but plain and simple Limerick do the basics better than anyone, maybe better than anyone ever. That coupled with a bunch that are physically on another level and sprinkled with some of the most gifted players technically and you have a great team. Throw in a group that will clearly die for each other and a no nonsense manager who looks like he’d kill ya for breathing his air but at the same time throw his arm around you to pick you up and you’ve a near unstoppable team.

7 Likes

Kinnerk along with a gifted bunch of players has brought how to play the game to a new level but like all evolutions it will be countered and bettered that’s what makes the game so enthralling.

3 Likes

Ben O’Connor played centre back for a league game with the Barrs tonight.

2 Likes

Doubtful, no other team had financial backing in the millions.

Surely the Ed Sheeran gigs will free up a few bob for ye.

1 Like

This BS has gained traction recently JP has been sponsoring Limerick since 2004 what happened in 14 years up to 2018 1 Munster title. Your argument has zero foundation. You ignore facts such as a super group of players, a great backroom team and a supportive County Board. It’s up to every other county to get their ducks in a row, it’s not soccer a wealthy benefactor in GAA terms is worth diddly squat without most importantly the players and a proper structure in place.

5 Likes

Interesting.

Yet wasn’t even on the bench last night?

Who paid the likes of Anthony Daly to be involved in the underage set up at the time etc.

We know that was a waste of time & resources. The academy has made a few mistakes in their time, that is up there with the biggest.

3 Likes

Jaysis, Anthony Daly is a grand fella but a hurling academy guru - he is not.

In fairness, he would tell you that himself.

1 Like

Yes, agreed, that aside, point being is that the money was there to pay the likes of him in the first place. Nearly all other counties don’t have that financial resources. It’s great to have structures and an amicable county board but that’s all predicated by financial support

There is money there for sure, but it’s certainly not as unlimited as some people seem to think. While teams are well-looked after, you still have to fight battles for every single penny for underage teams tbh.

And surely the Daly thing, if anything, shows that money doesn’t always buy quality and we have achieved a lot more before & after by spending a lot less on the academy head.

5 Likes

I know that. I know of some good people involved in grass routes underage hurling in the county and have been there for years plugging away at it.

Deflection if money was everything we would have won a lot more from 2004-2018

3 Likes

Certainly not everything but does help

Having money to pay for food for players after training & matches is important. Paying for physios, medical teams as well as implementing proper strength & conditioning programmes at underage is important (this is about informing kids about proper practices, what they should be doing, teaching them the important of recovery, of recuperating from injuries, etc.)

Splurging money on individual coaches is not really beneficial for underage, I don’t think. All the coaches in the Limerick academy are volunteers, bar the head who is full-time. Some are good, some are bad.

Money does help, for sure, but I know from personal experience that stuff is not just handed out for free, there is a lot of recycling and hand-me-downs in the academy, as well being flat out refused for a lot of stuff :rofl: Spike does not like signing cheques.

2 Likes

Can’t understand why they didn’t give him 15 or 20 minutes to ease him in. He’s badly needed.

Not great for the morale of the rest of the panel if he can pick up his hurley for the first time in a few months and get straight on the team. When it wasn’t knock out I think they did the right thing.

1 Like

Is this the first claim that maybe they are the best of all time?