Cork GAA - They're going home! - sponsored by Sports Direct and Super Valu

A lovely story. Congratulations Aoife and Colm :heart::heart:

Colm is a winner on and off the field.

So is Aoife.

Pat Ryan new Cork Manager
Great appointment.

Hopefully his first duty as manager is telling Furlong, Pat Mull and Pebble to fuck off back to their clubs.

The quickness of that would make it seem like Kingston was pushed?

3 Likes

Correct.

Time will be the judge of that.

I wonder if Cork wil lever get back to the pack

1 Like

The right man. Hopefully it goes well for him.

This is big.

I mean it really depends on the backroom team but he’s the one they all wanted. Has the pedigree at underage, played a decent style of hurling.

1 Like

He’ll be loyal enough to his 20s lads at least and he will test to them to see if they have what it takes early. They fooled around with Joyce in the league not giving him 6 and they barely gave Connolly any game time regardless if he was coming back from injury. And that was for our two most promising players. Loads of young fellas got no chance. I would expect him to release some dead weight fairly quickly. Mark Keane should be high on the list anyway. Ryan and co had those 20s teams like they were playing for their dinner and spin home. Hopefully he has free reign to bring in who he wants to help him out and I hope to god his own personal health holds up too.

Will be interesting to see what Ryan plans to do with his three years. Will he attempt some huge culture change along with significant panel cuts/additions or just aim to get a 5/10% improvement out of the group that he has with gradual personnel changes?

In terms of actual personnel, it’s hard to say what else there is out there to bring in. Colin O’Brien has apparently been brought back into the training panel, Jack Cahalane/Brian Hayes are out with the footballers. Brian O’Sullivan was the standout U-20 last year, so surely he’ll be brought in? Perhaps Dalton? Not sure there is much else out there that isn’t already on the panel.

Trained with them a bit after the 20s was over I think

2 Likes

There are so many players from those 20s teams that will benefit greatly from this appointment.

At the back Eoin Downey and Ethan Twomey will surely get a run.

In midfield Quirke, O’Connell, Connery, O’Sullivan and Brian Roche should all get a fair crack at the whip.

Up front then there is a litany of quality underage players including Power, Cahalane, Flynn, O’Brien etc.

This is not including the likes of Joyce, Connolly and Barrett who are already experienced senior inter county players.

Obviously the most important thing is that these guys can catch up to speed with the S&C required at senior level - all of these guys have been on the senior panel in 2022, and some in 2021 so you’d hope that they might be able to bridge that physical jump. I think that jump is too soon in 2023 for a lot of the players mentioned, but the likes of Pádraig Power, Ethan Twomey and Eoin Downey should be able to compete next year IMO.

I also think there’s every chance that Jack Cahalane and Brian Hayes will turn their heads towards hurling. I’d be surprised if Cahalane does not.

6 Likes

Or a cork con yuppie

Needed an outsider not a chap who will do the county boards bidding
We will be in the same shitty position in 3 years as we’ve been in for a decade plus

Outside management who won’t take any shite
And demand high

Outside manager will never work in Cork, why would you need to look outside, nobody in that huge county able for the job, go way outta that.
It’d be a dark day

1 Like