Cork GAA - They're going home! - sponsored by Sports Direct and Super Valu

Cork could go either of two ways now. The basic tools are there and the graph should be upward. They need to start dominating games more and should make a good run of the league next year and instil a bit of ruthlessness.

On the other hand, they have to visit Ennis and the TUSGG in the championship next year. Munster will be a bearpit once more.

It was perfect for him to come on. Pat Ryan has done a lot of good things but some of the calls yesterday were strange. I also fee they need to up their work rate.

I was shocked Jack O Connor came on. A pure panic move. Hasn’t hurled a meaningful ball for Cork in ages. That game against KK in the semi is a long time ago. Now he was lively, and caused some bother but that easy miss summed him up.

Padraig Power is far more composed and is a more of a target man, a more like for like with Connolly. And when Dalton, Barrett and Harnedy went off and the makeshift half forward line was put in, you needed some structure.

4 Likes

Darragh Fitzgibbon was blocked down by John Conlon at one stage in the second half yesterday out around the Clare 65 on the Hogan Stand side and just stood there, making no effort to redeem himself. It looked like the head was gone but in fairness he scored a great point not long afterwards

Cork needed to wear contact lenses that make every opponent they play have green jerseys on.

Bad decision but I’m sure PR is making these decisions based on what is happening in training, where the likes of Power, Roche and Twomey must be struggling.

Seanie McGrath said power was ripping it up in training

https://twitter.com/limerickclg/status/1815302132490277348?s=46

The replies :smile::smile:

It is hurting. A big county and they will be back.

https://twitter.com/sabhat_sean/status/1815346365100077401?t=uoDWMUmpE6aRnDrprrKEbw&s=19

2 Likes

Sarsfields boys looking out for each other?

He didn’t manage mark Fitzgerald, that wasn’t his job. I think you’re talking through your hole here to be honest.

2 Likes

What was his fucking job then?

He scored as many points as Fitzgerald did for a start. But hey, I suppose Fitzgerald should have been marking him and not giving him the freedom of the park.

David Fitzgerald could have had 2-8 what part of this are you not getting.

1 Like

And you’ve decided this is Coleman’s fault for not working? Maybe cork didn’t want him following Fitzgerald all over the field?

Coleman had a great game. When most of the the Cork team were out on their feet or shying away he led the way. Proven a lot of critics wrong, including myself, this year. He’s finally back to his best after a few rotten years playing a role not suited to him.

1 Like

So you would not mark a man who possesses the ability to damage through the middle which ended up contributing to one of the goals. Keep going. You have a view I have mine. Coleman is a fine soft ball hurler but as noted lacks the dog to win back trophy matches. Only for the Downeys they would have been bate out the gate.

You can’t man mark everyone. Limerick don’t man mark Tony Kelly and they wouldn’t man mark Fitzgerald. If Coleman didn’t follow Fitzgerald all over the pitch it’s because he didn’t get instructions to do so. I thought he had a good game yesterday.

The majority of teams set their plans around Limerick as opposed to Limerick worrying about them. Limerick have been happy to let Kelly roam and it has been successful. I can assure you Limerick are not going to let two lads drift in and around midfield to the half forward line and expect to win the game. Cork play a man on man style of hurling. You can hit a lot of ball and look good but not do your job, a Limerick wing back of yesteryear was good for this. The simple fact is Fitzgerald should have won man of the match if he tacked over the opportunities he was given. Coleman was on him and was non existent for a period of the second half. I also think he lost him for the Kelly goal but I could be wrong.