Cork GAA - They're going home! - sponsored by Sports Direct and Super Valu

Good post but there is an obvious issue when the likes of Fitzgibbon can play like absolute shite all year and still get listed as one of our important players ahead of Meade who actually had a good year. Picking lads based on performances from 4 years ago. No excuse when we have young hurlers with AI medals in their pockets coming through the ranks. Coleman doesn’t have the physique for it either.

2 Likes

I dont think Meade had a great year. Fitzgibbon was poor all year but his potential lot higher than Meade

Harnedy was Corks best player yesterday and he has been plugging away at it for a decade. He can’t have much left in the tank.

5 Likes

That’s a very low bar.

I will go as far as to say that as long as Harnedy and Hoggie start, this Cork team are going nowhere. In fact, it will stifle our progress. Maybe unpopular, but it’s the truth.

3 Likes

Again, this is purely based on what he did 4 years ago, not on what he has done over the past two years, where he has been extremely fortunate to keep his place on the team.

Realistically we might need two new midfielders to compete purely with Limerick.

Horgan played well with the limited decent ball he got yesterday.
In truth, you could have had the three love children of Christy Ring and Henry Shefflin in the front three for cork yesterday, and they’d have struggled badly.
The problem is Limerick are all excellent hurlers, all fit, all fully invested, all pretty quick. All this can perhaps be replicated, but add in that they are all filthy when needed, and all massive, and those two things simply can’t be bought begged or stolen.
The most encouraging thing for Cark is their u20’s are big units. They also look tough. But it’ll take three years or more for them to get anywhere near limerick’s current level.
Only Galway can currently beat Limerick out the gate, as they proved beyond doubt this year, before the Limerick cuckoo got a run at them.

Hurlers are a lot bigger than footballers these days.

The Galway u20’s who sniggered at me last week were massive gym monkey lads, and yet they looked dwarfed by cork.

2 Likes

Surely Cork management have to go after that debacle. Utterly clueless. Anyway at least club championship to look forward to. Limerick supporters season is over, they have to switch back to following rugby.

What’s the deal with Kingston’s contract.

Yep, with the token few carkies on the team.

Fitzgibbon was appalling all year. He really should have been dropped but I suppose they were hoping he could give us one big game. We have a problem where our players in their mid 20’s are good enough inter county players but will probably never have the workrate nor the bottle to actually win All-Irelands.

Looking at U20s to step in, in the backs Roche and O’Callaghan will get games in the league but hard to see them as huge improvements on what’s there already. Connery is too short for the half back line I think but O’Leary is worth a shot. Quirke is a bit small but a fine player. Brian Roche is a good operator around the middle but needs to improve his hurling. O’Brien and Twomey look a good bit off IC standard but have potential. Power is the kind of inside forward we need, I’d actually have him ahead of Connolly.

Unpopular alright considering they were probably the only two players after the game who you could say did well throughout.

Worst thing you can do at this stage
Thinking about it, Cork are probably in the same place as Tipperary right now all be it , the age profile is lower in Cork
That being said, Cork are still carrying a lot of dead wood or least at lot of lads who need a serious change in attitude. You need someone in there that will address that and will remove the dead wood over the next year or two to allow a smoother transition.
You bring the u 20 management crew in now and given Corks history, you could have another strike on your hands in a year or two

Christ above.

6 Likes

The young lad playing centre back for the minors looked a prospect.

Again if your metric for well is points from play, then yeah they did well.

I haven’t seen him play in person in a long time but I would have always thought of Harnedy as a hard worker

He was but injuries have taking its toll. He can no longer do what he did a few years ago (understandable).

1 Like

Was Mike Ashley at the match?