Cork GAA - They're going home! - sponsored by Sports Direct and Super Valu

That’s interesting. Especially the bit about Micheal Martins son wearing a Jersey commemorating the Kilmichael ambush. I was really looking forward to the squirming from the likes of martin and varadkar around these centenaries given their criticism of the modern ira. The civil war centenaries will be great craic for it.

A couple of throw back teams

https://www.corkbeo.ie/news/local-news/gardai-looking-thugs-who-stole-18225583

Kevin Long Newcestown don’t remember, but I was away probably, some talent there

And Kieran Morrison

Kevin Egan was supposed to be a big talent until he became an addict.

1 Like

Massive talent. Had it all.

brother of Barry??

Yeah.

Kevin Egan was a superb hurler, bit small for a centre back. He’s brother James was a class operator. If that delaneys team had gone up 93 or 94 they would have rattled the senior county.

2 Likes

Delanys lifetime chairman is a great oul character, painted his gaff a few months ago in Ballyephane a few months back,Pat Barry’s dad

2 Likes

was there a lad Mcelhnny who played with them as well
i remember cobh beat them by a point in an interemediate championship game in 1999 in Lisgoold - there were a fair few blades been lowered all over the pitch

There was, 2 brothers Mark and Declan. No offence but sums delaneys up if they managed to lose to cobh with the team they had.

what kind of shape they in now?

Bad junior team. Barely can field a team.

sorry to hear that

redmonds near gone too

1 Like

ah yeah both teams would have been toxic enough , you can imagine the product- cobh beat youghal then before kev’s friend Alan Beale destroyed us in the QF

lot of teams gone there - we’re junior now also - there as a savage intermediate championship in cork back in the late 90s/00s @fenwaypark would have great knowledge here - it was better than the senior one - remember the team there that beat waterford in 1999 after not winning a game since 92 - it was backnoned by intermediate players from east cork ( ok they all played for imokilly) - we’d daly and derek on it ( so that wouldnt have been a bad cobh team back then that beat delaneys), donal og, sully, landers, deane, timmy…

2 Likes

Newtown were intermediate at that time aswell. Remember been at the intermediate final where they beat Cloyne.

Killeagh, Castleyons, Bride Rovers, Carrig, Aghada were all intermediate around then.

I remember the gold watch tounament when most of these were junior. They were halcyon days with Charlie Mcallister , Tommy Canavan (rip) the men in black.

You could do anything in those matches and not get the line. The fights were legendary with lads using it to settle a few scores before championship. It drew massive crowds.

2 Likes

How did hurling in cork lose the bite .

The success of newtown and later cork seniors with a game based more on possession is primary cause imho. People will always follow what is successful and this style was gradually introduced at all levels and grade.