Cork GAA - They're going home! - sponsored by Sports Direct and Super Valu

It is. Not junior

Should be 12 team senior. Next grade Intermediate Premier of 16 teams in my opinion. Fr Oā€™Neills will walk Senior A next year if everyone stays fit. The rest glorified Intermediate teams.

Ah here. Bride Rovers, Blarney and Newcestown will have a big say in Senior A.

1 Like

Are Carrigtwohill in total free fall?

1 Like

They will have a big say too.

1 Like

Iā€™ll let @fenwaypark and @Turenne chime but in the mid to late 90s when cork were in the doldrums the intermediate grade in cork was unrealā€¦the junior A east cork championship had better games than the senior championship and you had situations where teams like Killeagh, cloyne maybe castlelyons went from junior thru to senior in a few yearsā€¦of the 7 or so east cork fellas on the 1999 team I think only mickey o connell actually played senior club at the time

2 Likes

I remember Kileagh beat Mallow in an Intermediate final after a replay. Think their was 14,000 at it.

2 Likes

This Senior A is a cod fo me. Likes of Fermoy, Mallow, Cloyne fooling themselves thinking they are Senior standard.

did Mallow ever win the intermediate in the end?

it was only brought in to stop Imokilly winning

1 Like

Landers was talking about that game the other week on the podcast, said they were on the ropes in the drawn game if it had went to extra time and win the replay comfortably

No Kanturk beat them in 2016 by a point. Hugely struggling now.

intermediate was some grade back then
the senior was basically midleton, sars, erins own , the city clubs and divisions, it was fairly shite
in intermediate you had ballyhea, st catherines, newtownshandrum , carrigtohill, castlelyons , youghal, agahada, ballincollig and then teams who might not be 100% there but would be hard as nails on the pitch like cobh, kilbittan, Delaneys, tracton, newcestown, etcā€¦ cloyne and killeagh came thenā€¦ also youā€™d have say the second teams of Glen and Piarsaigh, it was ferocious stuffā€¦ straight knockoutā€¦ massive crowds

never got over the line so, how are they motoring in football?

Up Premier Senior after winning Senior A yesterday.

You are forgetting Delaneys. If they had got up early 90s could have won a senior in my opinion.

2 Likes

added Delaneyā€™s for @Corksfinedtboy
Barry Egan , some player

1 Like

I was at the Carrigtwohill v Delaneys intermediate final in the early ā€˜00s, the crowd was massive. The senior football final was on the same day but that canā€™t have been the reason. Actually, was it a replay?

How are Delaneyā€™s fareing these days?

I was at an Intermediate county final featuring Douglas and Aghada in 2000 (before Douglas became a ā€˜superclubā€™).