Cork GAA - They're going home! - sponsored by Sports Direct and Super Valu

I’m fairly sure it was. Shades of Zidane alright. The red mist could descend on him and he’d do something stupid. I have some recollection of him getting sent off in a county final they were winning handily for a headbutt.

1 Like

Michael Nolan was the fithiest of the lot by all accounts but an absolutely brilliant player.

Think he was banned for life in the mid 90’s at a relatively young age for nearly killing someone in a North Championship game.

Well he’ll always have that, Dessie. And so will the Waterford fans. Nobody can take that away from ye. Nobody.

Don’t think it was life but he turned up hurling in Dublin for a few years in the mid 90’s. Seemingly after an incident in a North game , he’d to leave. That was the story going round.

They beat Mount Sion in the final in 04 in the Stadium. Think Ken McGrath missed a free injury time to level it? @Fagan_ODowd might remember better. Willie Ryan got the goal for Toome.

2022 Dr Harty Cup quarter-finals

1. Cashel CS v Thurles CBS
    1. Ardscoil Rís v Midleton CBS
    1. DLS Waterford v Nenagh CBS
    1. St Joseph’s Tulla v CBC Cork

** Semi-finals: 1 v 2; 3 v 4.*

1 Like

Twas a handy free for someone like Ken McGrath too

1 Like

I was at that game.

Some of my earliest memories are going watching Toomevara v Doora Barefield and Ballygunner around 1999/2000. Doora Barefield in particular were absolutely fearsome.

I’m in love with the Munster Club ever since.

1 Like

Clare club between 1995 and 2001 was outrageous, I have a few of those games on VCR. It was a bear pit, looking at it now I don’t know how those lads ever managed to play together for the county team. No prisoners taken

2 Likes

Yer man Lorcan Hassett was absolutely unreal

2 Likes

“Doora/Barefield have 12 great hurlers and three all stars” I can’t remember who said it but it was said and true, heady days far removed from what is on offer at the moment. The nadir was '05 though, the tail end of those great teams of the 90’s slugging it out struggling to score, I looked it up there and it was 0-9 to 0-7 in the final. I remember it well, absolute disgust in the stand after watching it

I was at that as a young fella, that was in Semple wasn’t it. Barefield won and ya yer man Hassett was a class player. Think he was captain that day

They played twice, once in Limerick and once in Thurles. Doora Barefield won both years.

I see, I was in Thurles. Fairly sure that was 99

1 Like

The whole Tipp v Clare thing was toxic at the time.

It was but it made for great entertainment & flaking!

1 Like

McMahon was majestic them days. A class act of a 6 who never reverted to filth. Just a real man.

1 Like

I see a list of the various Fitzgibbon squads doing the rounds on twitter.

There is a Cork lad on the WIT or whatever they are called now panel from a club called Randal Og. I can’t say I have every heard of this club, where in Cork are they located?

Assume it is rural as he is doing a bachelors in Agriculture

Dunmanway

Is Doheny’s not the GAA club in Dunmanway or is there more than one? Would be surprised if there was two hurling clubs down in a football stronghold like that