Cork Minor Hurlers & Footballers 2010 Thread

So what Cork won, against a far more physical team. Next.

ya cork scored the last 4 pints in 5 minutes. sending off was for two yellows as far as i remember, yer man had been doing a lot of swinging out of his opponent.

clare are only together 6 weeks and are without 5 or 6 players for numerous reasons. they were also beaten by about 40 pints by kerry in a challenge two weeks ago- no exaggeration.

:rolleyes:

strung out are we?

au contraire

i assumed what with the rolley eyes. :blink:

The Cork Minor Hurling team to play Tipperary on Wednesday evening @ 6.30 pm in Pairc Ui Chaoimh is as follows

1 Gary Minihane Courcey Rovers

2 Diarmuid Lester Bishopstown

3 Finbarr O’Mahoney Midleton

4 Dylan Stokes Blackrock

5 Christopher Joyce Na Piarsaigh

6 Darragh O’Carroll Fermoy

7 Tom McGuinness Tracton

8 Nicky Kelly Mayfield

9 Darren Sweetnam Dohenys

10 Shane O’Keeffe Blackrock

11 Stephen Moore Midleton

12 Conor Lehane Midleton

13 Jamie Coughlan Newtown

14 Mark Howard Passage

15 Brian Hartnett Russell Rovers

16 William McCarthy Carrigtwohill

17 Colm Spillane Castlelyons

18 Killian Burke Midleton

19 Keith Buckley Na Piarsaigh

20 Jamie Wall Kilbrittain

21 Rob O’Shea Carrigaline

22 Alan Gould Kinsale

23 Chris Buckley Clyda Rovers

24 Brian Murray Bishopstown

The Tipperary Minor Hurling team to play Cork at 6.30pm on Wednesday April 28th in Páirc Uí Chaoimh is

1. David Reddan (Kilruane MacDonaghs) 2. Cathal Barrett (Holycross Ballycahill) 3. Andrew Ryan (Toomevara) 4. Pa Dunne (Thurles Sarsfields) 5. Seamus Kennedy (St. Marys Clonmel) 6. Brian Stapleton (Templederry Kenyons) Captain 7. John Meagher (Loughmore Castleiney) 8. Davin Flynn (Roscrea) 9. Jason Forde (Silvermines) 10. Dan McCormack (Borris-Ileigh) 11. Niall O’Meara (Kilruane MacDonaghs) 12. Tommy Heffernan (Nenagh Éire Óg) 13. Liam McGrath (Loughmore Castleiney) 14. Aidan McCormack (Thurles Sarsfields) 15. Cathal Horan (Mullinahone)

Subs from:
Shane Hassett (Drom and Inch), David Butler (Knockavilla Donaskeigh Kickhams), Justin Cahill (Kilruane MacDonaghs), Paddy Dalton (Arravale Rovers), John McGrath (Loughmore Castleiney), Ross Mullane (Clonmel Óg), Michael O’Brien (Thurles Sarsfields), Joe O’Dwyer (Killenaule), Liam Treacy (Loughmore Castleiney), Eoin Fennelly (Mullinahone), John Grogan (Cashel King Cormacs), Philip Looby(Drom & Inch), Daire Quinn (Nenagh Éire Óg), John Ryan (Knockavilla Donaskeigh Kickhams), Pat Ralph (Moycarkey Borris)

Good to see a strong East Cork representation as usual. :slight_smile:

I’d be worried, i’ve seen Joe O’ Dwyer play a few times for Killenaule and i can’t believe he’s not playing. They must have an awesome team if he isn’t.

Having said that, Cork have always done well when there is a strong Midleton contingent. Will go down to this, could be a cracker.

Tipperary should win this - I was speaking to some people who were at the Cork-Wexford challenge last week and an experimental Wexford brushed aside a first choice Cork side.

Will be going to this as well Kev, any Tipp lads from TFK going down?

Pat Ralph and Michael O’Brien are supposed to be cracking hurlers as well, both on the bench. :mellow:

not a strong cork minor team. in fact i’d say its one of the poorest ones in recent years. jamie coughlan is the standout player on our team. i’ve heard that the tipp team is particularly strong.

Eh, we’ll see how they do, there are a few decent hurlers there besides Coughlan like Joyce and Lehane. Hallisey and Roger Ryan in particular will be losses, both out injured. Bit worrying to see Moore in there, big fellow but not the quickest hurler.

moore is a big strong honest lad but hes a full forward or nothing. as you said not mobile enough for centre forward. we’ll see how they get on.

unfortunately i wont be able to travel down as weve training wednesday night. as youve mentioned Pat Ralph is an excellent hurler but was dean ryan this year so is prob a bit young yet. On the team that was picked, The full back line looks solid, barrett is a good yoke in fairness and ryan was there last year. Half back line is experienced too. Kennedy was u16 last year-son of john kennedy so good breeding there, Stapleton is Toms brother, 3rd yr on it.would be a lot more mobile than thomas too. Meaghar was corner back last year as an u16. Dont know much about flynn midfield but Forde was on the u16s last year and was good enough for this team also. big strong young lad with good hands. Dan Mc was subgoalie last year and centre forward on the 16s. Very one sided from what ive seen with him with the school but still very effective. Niall is Buggys younger brother and is the best of them o’meara’s. could be minor again next year. Tommy Heffernan is Mikeys brother. Havent seen much of him to be honest. Liam Mc is Noels brother, well able to hurl but everyone is expecting himself and John to be the same as Noel. Aiden Mccormack was on the CBS team, Handy enough in fairness but has a wild streak,liable to lose it just like his uncle redser! Dont know much about Horan from Mullinahone.

Bench is strong enough with Butler,Treacy and O’Brien on the panel last year. Justin Cahill is a good hurler as is paddy dalton, surprised he wasnt starting actually. Theres no doubt its a strong panel however id hold judgement as i think the men over them arent great in the heat of battle and tend to panic a lot.

1. David Reddan (Kilruane MacDonaghs) 2. Cathal Barrett (Holycross Ballycahill) 3. Andrew Ryan (Toomevara) 4. Pa Dunne (Thurles Sarsfields) 5. Seamus Kennedy (St. Marys Clonmel) 6. Brian Stapleton (Templederry Kenyons) Captain 7. John Meagher (Loughmore Castleiney) 8. Davin Flynn (Roscrea) 9. Jason Forde (Silvermines) 10. Dan McCormack (Borris-Ileigh) 11. Niall O’Meara (Kilruane MacDonaghs) 12. Tommy Heffernan (Nenagh Éire Óg) 13. Liam McGrath (Loughmore Castleiney) 14. Aidan McCormack (Thurles Sarsfields) 15. Cathal Horan (Mullinahone)

Subs from:
Shane Hassett (Drom and Inch), David Butler (Knockavilla Donaskeigh Kickhams), Justin Cahill (Kilruane MacDonaghs), Paddy Dalton (Arravale Rovers), John McGrath (Loughmore Castleiney), Ross Mullane (Clonmel Óg), Michael O’Brien (Thurles Sarsfields), Joe O’Dwyer (Killenaule), Liam Treacy (Loughmore Castleiney), Eoin Fennelly (Mullinahone), John Grogan (Cashel King Cormacs), Philip Looby(Drom & Inch), Daire Quinn (Nenagh Éire Óg), John Ryan (Knockavilla Donaskeigh Kickhams), Pat Ralph (Moycarkey Borris)

Cork 2-31 Tipperary 4-22 AET.

Firstly, congrats to the Cork lads, better team imo, stronger, fitter and much better conditioned. Much better hurling team then last years and if the defence is improved could go places.

Stand-out players - Darren Sweetman (proper athlete, big player and fast, and can point from range), Brian Hartnett (great touch, very quick, great attitude, exceptional from the dead ball), Jamie Coughlan (all the same qualities Brian has, plus takes a cracking penalty) and Stephen Moore (big, great in the air, has a bit of hurling and scored some fine points). Conor Lehane was the most talented player on the pitch, incredible leap and ridiciously fast, a future Cork inter-county hurler if ever I saw one.

However, I have to say the management almost threw the game away with their bizarre subs in regular time. They took off Mark Howard right after he got us a penalty, took off Stepher Moore despite the fact that he was destroying Tipp’s center back line and worst of all failed to make a change in the full-back line until the very very end of normal time, despite the fact that it got cleaned out all game. The defence was particularly weak down the middle imo.

To sum up, attack and midfield are excellent, but we need Ryan and Cahalane in the full back line. We do that, and I can see this team going far.

Limerick up next.

Thats great news in fairness. I had to play a game in the end so didn’t go down, but the auld lad pretty much said the same thing as you Turrene, and picked out the same players.

Have seen Roger Ryan play and he’d be an addition to any team, Cahalane is potentially better again but he’ll never play hurling long term.

Its a big big boost for hurling, i know Tipp are still in it, but underage victories over them have been few and far between with 7-8 years.

Shows what challenge games are good for, fuck all in judging MInors. Clare beat Cork and look where that got them.

Elsewhere Limerick struggled to beat Kerry, but thats to be expected, Kerry are handy this year, and will be improving all the time. Waterford had it easy against Clare by all accounts.

Tipp though will still be more favoured to win All-Ireland. They have a strong squad, haven’t been training as hard and also didn’t have as much time together due to Harty etc. I’d expect them to improve alot.

True, but we have 3-4 players to come back in, so there is improvement in our lot as well. Anyway, good win, looking forward to Limerick or Waterford or whoever the fuck is next.

That Hartnett fella must be an outstanding player. 1-7 from play and 1-14 overall is some scoring. Score six points back to back during extra time apparently.

He is good, but very small still. Cracking attitude it has to be said - tbh, the way hurling has gone these days I wouldn’t be hugely confident that such a little fellow can still make it senior inter-county level, which is why I prefer athletes like Sweetman and Lehane for the future.

His goal was fantastic though, well worth watching on GAA 2010 next Monday. It was basically a hurling version of a diving header in soccer.