Cork Minor Hurlers & Footballers 2010 Thread

Sounds like it was a cracker, but not a whloe lot going on in terms of defences.

Waterford had a comfortable in second gear, but Clare were poor.

Meanwhile the Cork minor footballers’ injury problems are showing signs of abating ahead of next Wednesday’s Munster MFC semi-final against Tipperary. Captain Daniel Fitzgerald is set to return to the squad having overcome a hamstring problem and a viral infection, while Kevin Hallissey and Roger Ryan are both back in the frame as well after recent shoulder and leg injuries respectively. Midfielder Damien Cahalane is an injury doubt though with a thigh problem. Kerry boss Pat O’Driscoll has injury worries before their Munster MFC semi-final against Limerick in Newcastlewest also on Wednesday night. Corner-back Pa Kilkenny (quad) and wing-forward Marcus Mangan (shoulder) are serious worries while wing-back James Walsh (ankle) is another doubt.

Where is this one on? Home advantage will make a huge difference.

Semple Stadium, big pitch will suit Cork.

The Cork Minor Football team to play Tipperary in the Munster Semi-final on Thursday, May 12th, at 7pm in Thurles.

1. David Hanrahan (Douglas)

2. Derek Crowley (Clann na nGael)

3. Matthew O’Shea (Glengarriff)

4. Diarmuid Lester (Bishopstown)

5. Tomás Clancy (Clonakilty)

6. Jamie Burns (St. Finbarr’s)

7. Jamie Wall (Kilbrittain)

8. Damien Cahalane (Castlehaven)

9. John O’Rourke (Carbery Rangers)

10. Kevin Hallissey (Eire Óg)

11. Mark Sugrue (Bandon)

12. Alan Cronin (Nemo Rangers - Capt.)

13. Kevin Sheehan (Mallow)

14. Shane Duggan (Na Piarsiagh)

15. Brian Hurley (Castlehaven)

16. Shane Masters (Kilmichael)

17. Darren Murphy (Ballincollig)

18. James Goggin (St. Finbarr’s)

19. Roger Ryan (Bishopstown)

20. Daniel O’Mahony (Carrigtwohill)

21. Luke Connolly (Nemo Rangers)

22. Dara Ring (Canovee)

23. Dan McEoin (Ilen Rovers)

24. Sean Ryan (Newcestown)

Looks quite weak, Ryan and McEoin on the bench and no Fitzgerald.

Put some money on Tipp I’d say, not sure on what kind of team they have though.

A much changed team. Hallissey from Eire Og is a serious prospect, he’s a big addition. We have a gut on the extended panel and he thinks they are being very strict on form, and its been picked on training

No fucking way is Alan Cronin still underage for minor. Blatant cheating and making him captain too just to rub it in.

:smiley:

He’s a far better player than the “other” Alan Cronin.

Cork 2-5 to 2 points up.

2-7 to 1-2 at half time.

Cork 2-12 Tipp 2-9 FT.

Good comeback by Tipp in the 2nd half, Kerry will win the final handy.

No doubt Mullach.

Cork/Waterford this Saturday in Cork - what is the Waterford team like anyone? Hangblaa?

The Cork minors beats KK in a practice match a few days ago by 5-6 points.

I’d expect it to be decent, going by recent U-16 teams and the colleges results. The strong clubs like Ballygunner seem to be going well as well underage, this usually is a good thing all round.

Cork are handy though, so going along normal lines they’d be slight favourites.

They are a very good team, with a lot of last years lads backboning them.

They beat Clare by 8 in the first round.

Philip Mahony and Jake Dillon on the forwards were very good last year and should be a handfula s they are both physical forwards who can hurl. Mahony played senior hurling last year for the county cahmpions Ballygunner. There is a Prendergast from Lismore playing midfield that is excellent and also played senior for Lismore in last years county final. Martin O’Neill who played wing back the last day is a regular on the MtSion senior team.

However, after the u21 debacle this year, I think it is 17 years since we have beaten a Cork team in an underage match, so its far from straight forward, particularly as we are travelling down to the Pairc…

Has the makings of a good game… Will post the team and their clubs when it comes to hand.

Good man. The fact that its saturday might help Waterford in the travelling stake. I think travelling up to Cork on a very warm summers evening isn’t an easy thing to do. The U-21’s looked jaded before they started. Being a saturday should mean they’ll be up for a meal and everything and well settled in before going down the Pairc.

Being a saturday will shove up the crowd i hope as well, especially the travelling crowd. Having a good few Minors with Senior Club experience is worth a fortune. Cork wouldn’t that many with it. With a few players from Midleton, Rockies, B’Town and Na Piarsaigh, its very hard for those lads to play regular senior.

Looking forward to it now.

What time?

[quote=“caoimhaoin, post: 454354”] With a few players from Midleton, Rockies, B’Town and Na Piarsaigh, its very hard for those lads to play regular senior.

Looking forward to it now.

What time?
[/quote]

Why so ? Ballygunner and Lismore would be stonger than those four clubs currently and they still find the sapce to blood a couple of minors every year.

There is plenty of experience in the Waterford team, with players like Jake Dillon winning an all-ireland college senior title as a 15 year old (minor again next year). Then you have Cormac Curran and Darragh Fives who have also played in big colleges finals, so its all a help, and its something that Waterford underage team never had in the past.

Its a 7 or 7.30 throw in, i think.

I doubt they’d be stronger than Piarsaigh, maybe the same, but the other 3 ya your right. Its kinda just the way, i suppose those clubs would all have bigger picks. Now one or two of the Midleton lads may have played, i’m not 100%.

Midleton are very very young as it is, and have had plenty county MInors in recent times, Rockies have an Intermediate team so its natural enough unless your an absolute superstar to do some time there. Bishopstown have a fairly settled young team, hard to break into that.

Your right about the Colleges though, it makes a massive massive difference, kills the fear a bit and prepares you for the “Big day”.

Conor Lehane, Finnbar O’Mahony and Stephen Moore have played Senior Hurling for Midleton, as has Joyce with Na Piarsigh, Damien Cahalane for the Barrs (assuming he makes himself available), Dylan Stokes from Blackrock and Coughlan for Newtown. Ryan and Murphy from B’Town have as well, as has McCarthy for Carrig. Remember, about half the team is from Junior/Intermediate clubs.

Stokes, Ryan and Murphy haven’t played Turenne. I mean championship now. Bishopstown had nobody under 19 or over 24 according to the paper after their game. Stokes played Intermediate recently.

I wouldn’t have been sure about the Midleton lads. Cahalane has played alright, forgot about him, he played last year as well.

Who’s the Carrig MCCarthy? Is he the corner back?