Cork Minor Hurlers & Footballers 2010 Thread

Stokes, Ryan and Murray all played in the opening games of this year’s championship, unless I’m thinking of a different B’Town Murray. Stokes and Ryan both came on.

McCarthy plays in goals.

[quote=“Turenne, post: 454357”]
Conor Lehane, Finnbar O’Mahony and Stephen Moore have played Senior Hurling for Midleton, as has Joyce with Na Piarsigh, Damien Cahalane for the Barrs (assuming he makes himself available), Dylan Stokes from Blackrock and Coughlan for Newtown. Ryan and Murphy from B’Town have as well, as has McCarthy for Carrig. Remember, about half the team is from Junior/Intermediate clubs.[/quote]

Holy shit!!

Ya Tomas MUrray, think its actually a brother. Think Tomas played for Cork as well. Maybe i missed the subs Turenne. I was certain Stokes played the night after the seniors with the Intermedites. Could be wrong.

Overall now looking at it there is plenty experience there. Whats the other Piarsaigh guy, Duggan?

Will you travel?

I’ll be there no doubt. Buckley’s the the other Na Piarsigh chap, not sure if Duggan is on the age, not on the panel for the Tipp game anyway.

If we get Cahalane, Ryan and Hallisey back and everyone’s fit then we have a team that can win an All-Ireland imo, and some serious future stars.

From what I heard Waterford looked a decent outfit against Clare and were well able to use the ball and pick their men out. Although Clare got their selection and tactics completely wrong on the night and there were a good few changes on the Clare team that beat Tipp in Ennis a couple of weeks later…

Young Prendergast was supposed to have been outstanding that night and the full forward Heffernan(IIRC) did a nice bit of damage

Hallissey played for Eire Og saturday night, played well too and got through the game. I see no reason for Cahalane not to play, if he wants to continue for the Barrs i’d say they’d push him. The 'Havem aren’t playing 'till August.

Farmer - It would be totally normal in Cork for a large degree of the team to come from Junior/Intermediate clubs. Newtown were Intermediate 12 years ago. There was a Cork Minor team not that long ago (Brian Corrys age maybe) that had no City Senior club player playing, they did reasonably well too i’d say, won a Munster.

The City clubs are getting very strong though, i can see a day when there is a team full of City players and a couple thrown in from Midleton.

http://js.talkaudiohosting.co.uk/gif/Joker_not_sure_if_serious.jpg

Apparently young Duggan and Cahalane are now involved, as is Eoin Cadogan’s younger brother. The squad gets stronger.

Good stuff.

The Cork Minor Hurling team to play Waterford in Saturday night’s Munster Semi-final at 7.30pm in Páirc Uí Chaoimh will line out as follows:

1.William McCarthy
Carrigtwohill

1. Damien Cahalane 3. Roger Ryan 4. Colm Spillane
    St. Finbarr’s Bishopstown Castlelyons

2. Keith Buckley 6. Finbarr O’Mahony 7. Christopher Joyce
    Na Piarsaigh Midleton Na Piarsaigh

3. Darren Sweetnam 9. Nicky Kelly
    Dohenys Mayfield

4. Stephen Moore 11.Darragh Lordan 12. Conor Lehane
    Midleton Courcey Rovers Midleton

5. Kevin Hallissey 14. Jamie Coughlan 15. Brian Hartnett
    Eire Óg Newtowns’drum (Capt) Russell Rovers

6. Gary Minihane Courcey Rovers

7. Diarmuid Lester Bishopstown

8. Dylan Stokes Blackrock

9. Killian Burke Midleton

10. Darragh O’Carroll Fermoy

11. Robert O’Shea Carrigaline

12. Shane O’Keeffe Blackrock

13. Brian Murray Bishopstown

14. Jamie Wall Kilbrittain

Seven changes from the team that beat Tipp.

Jaysus, thats alot. They areobviously keeping an eye on players though and the development squad. In fairness i believe the football have done the same.

Champions Waterford won’t stand back from highly-rated Cork

By Brendan Larkin

Saturday, June 26, 2010

WATERFORD will include five of the team which won last year’s Munster MHC for tonight’s semi-final against Cork in Páirc Uí Chaoimh.

Luke Egan, Darragh Fives, Paudie Prendergast, Pádraig O’Mahony and Jake Dillon all figured on the team which defeated Tipperary.

Over the last ten years Cork and Waterford have met seven times with victory going to the Leesiders each time. You have to go back to 1950 to record Waterford’s last win over Cork at this level.

The closest Waterford came in the last decade was in 2002 when they drew with in Dungarvan before losing by a point in the replay at Páirc Uí Chaoimh.

“Last year’s victory was well deserved,” said team coach Jimmy Meaney. "There is a lot of work going in the county at club and schools levels and we are beginning to reap the benefit.

“We have nothing to fear going up to Cork. I know we will have to play well to get the win but we are more than capable of that. We’ll have a right go and while we are up against what is regarded as a very good Cork team, we’ll be there or there about at the final whistle.”

Cork are highly regarded and their 2-31 to 4-22 victory over Tipperary in the first round would seem to confirm that theory.

The Leaving Cert. has been occupying most players’ minds over the last six weeks and the coaches have had to depend on training sessions.

Clearly the Cork selectors were not happy with the scores leaked against Tipperary and have made changes in defence.

Said coach John Considine: “We gave away scores very easily against Tipp and also conceded silly frees, and we can’t afford a repeat.”

Damien Cahalane, who missed the opening round because of injury, comes in at corner back while Kevin Hallissey gets his chance at wing forward.

Cork looked the part in defeating Tipperary and if Brian Hartnett can repeat his scoring exploits — he scored 1-14 in that game — the home side could be well on their way to another final.

CORK (MH v Waterford): W McCarthy (Carrigtwohill); D Cahalane (St Finbarrs), R Ryan (Bishopstown), C Spillane (Castlelyons); K Buckley (Na Piarsaigh), F O’Mahony (Midleton), C Joyce (Na Piarsaigh); D Sweetnam (Dohenys), N Kelly (Mayfield); S Moore (Midleton), D Lordan (Courcey Rovers), C Lehane (Midleton); K Hallissey (Éire Óg), J Coughlan (Newtownshandrum), B Hartnett (Russell Rovers). Subs: G Minihane (Courcey Rovers), D Lester (Bishopstown), D Stokes (Blackrock), K Burke (Midleton), D O’Carroll (Fermoy), R O’Shea (Carrigaline), S O’Keeffe (Blackrock), B Murray (Bishopstown), J Wall (Kilbrittain)

WATERFORD (MH v Cork): D Duggan (Dungarvan); J Barron (Fourmilewater), D O’Keeffe (Ballygunner), L Egan (Dungarvan); M O’Neill (Mount Sion), D Fives (Tourin), E Madigan (De La Salle); P Prendergast (Lismore), G O’Brien (Roanmore); P Mahony (Ballygunner), E Murphy (Dunhill), C Curran (Dungarvan); J Dillon (De La Salle), C Heffernan (Ferrybank), S Roche (Mount Sion).

Read more: http://www.examiner.ie/sport/gaa/hurling/champions-waterford-wont-stand-back-from-highly-rated-cork-123481.html#ixzz0rx7AaUH8

Mother of god almighty, what a game of hurling i went to see tonight. Definitely the best Minor game i can remember. I’ll get back to it in a while, but Cork and Waterford can look forward to having a healthy number of players coming through from these teams.

Skill levels were at an outrageous level, glad it was a draw as it would have been too much for anyone to lose this.

We must have been watching different games Kev, the skill levels were only alright from what I saw, not much clean catching and some poor touch throughout. Some poor hurlers on display as well, mainly for Waterford though. Some cracking scores tbf.

Cork really threw it away, a good bit better then Waterford imo, much stronger bench and a little bit better up front and in midfield. Those two goals were very very soft, we also put some awful shows wide at the death of normal time before the goal. Two lads midfield were very good - Kelly has a great strike of the ball, Sweetnam is a lovely hurler to watch, all skill, gets his head up, great distributor and a big mobile athlete. Considering he has another year at Minor he has future Senior inter-county hurler written all over him. Backs were ok - Cahalane worked hard, Lester did well at times and Joyce was MOTM imo. Lehane, Hartnett and Coughlan (to a lesser extent) were good but I think there is probably more to come from our attack. Finally some dodgy calls on the line - Hallisey barely looked like he picked up a hurley for months, O’Keeffe should have started and bringing Stokes on for Buckley was bizarre.

:lol:

What would the buses be like in and out of Waterford City on a Wendesday night? (heading for Cork naturally)

mostly single deckers

What was the final score…is the replay for this Wednesday???

What did Hartnett score?

:smiley: