Cork Minor Hurlers & Footballers 2010 Thread

0-24 (Cork) to 2-18 (Waterford). Replay Wendesday week in Waterford.

Got 3-4 points, was brilliant with ball in hand but we didn’t quite get enough ball into him.

:lol:

I thought it was a draw

Is he very light?

How did Prendergast hurl for Waterford???

Tiny altogether but lightning fast.

We were at different games, i disagree on almost every level. They got a standing ovation after the game, people were all around us saying the same as me. The radio shows RTE included were getting texts about how top notch it was. There was a buzz outside about it. Are you really that picky and negative?

But your a glass half empty guy, i’m a half full guy. The touch and pick up abilities of alot of players was stand out, the point scoring excellent.

1. Totally wrong, at the end of both regular time and extra time if anyone was going to win it Waterford were, this is a very good Waterford team. They never bottled it in anyway and got some lovely scores. They had 2 or 3 smashing forwards, but generally were a much bugger and more direct team. There was a contrast in styles. Agree Corks midfield was better. The 1st goal was soft, 2nd was a superb free, absolutely top notch, bounced it in the perfect place and at pace and spin, it was very skillful what he did.
  2. Totally agree, but there is senior potential all over the place, Lester, both half backs, both midfielders, Lehane, Hartnett (despite being quite enough), Coughlan, Wall that came on and the 2 defensive subs that came on, 20 & 24 i believe, serious players. Cahalane is too slow, they should try him center back, he’s a trier, but he was burnt a few times. He won’t make it at football either with that pace.
  3. Buckley was in bits, he couldn’t go anymore. He was gone in regular time, didn’t have anything left, he couldn’t chase back. It was obvious to everyone, they gave him a chance for 2nd wind and he didn’t get it.

Chris Joyce is some hurler. Waterfords No 13, 11, 5, 7 & 6 were all super players, but No. 18 that they brought on was the best of the lot. Looked only about 15-16, he came on down near us.

EDIT;Cork footballers is next sunday, sorry. Wednesday night it is. Disgusted i have a fucking game, i’d give you a lift otherwise Turenne.

Can’t say I noticed him Puke, the Cork midfield was largely dominant throughout though. Dillon, O’Neill, Fives and Mahoney all had their moments for Waterford.

Did not want it enough for me Turenne. Coughlan seemed to have more cutting about him, Hartnett doesn’t seem to like the rough part of the game. But Waterford copped the Cork tactic of leaving oceans of space in front of Hartnett and dropped their half back back, the big Midleton lad Moore did the silly thing and followed him back. Haven’t seen much of Moore, so i don’t want to judge him too fast, but is he there for just size Turenne?

Is he a brother of Kevins? Russell Rovers wouldn’t be traditionally that strong would they?

Can’t be arsed arguing with you Kev, but there are some poor hurlers on that Waterford team. At least two of their starting forwards for a start. Inferior bench. Cork are stronger 1 to 15.

You also missed my point about Buckley, fine take him off but not for Stokes, who I felt sorry for - his confidence is clearly shot from the Tipp game.

Moore played much better against Tipp - unfortunately he has this habit of putting his hurley up to bring down the ball from the air which is easily copped on too. He is a decent player anyway, has a bit more hurling in him then Lordan and O’Keeffe.

I wouldn’t doubt Hartnett’s heart or effort - however he needs a certain type of ball because of his size. Scintillating when he has the ball though.

Fine, but overall they are a fine team, not sure what you expect from them. They had one or two big lads that are not going to go much further, but overall they were a fine “team”. The team thing is something you consistently seem to discard. Cork definitely have more potential seniors, no doubt, but Cork lost alot of the physical battles tonight, because (thankfully) they seem to be going with out and out hurlers, and thats great.

But i’m looking on this game as a stand alone game as well as an eye on the potential players down the road. This is important as i believe a All-Ireland Minor would breath alot into Cork hurling at this time. There was no “poor” hurler on that pitch tonight.

Your begining to remind me of Colm O’ Rourke and Pat Spillane. :rolleyes:

Kevin’s younger brother. Russell Rovers would be an average Junior A team that play a nice brand of hurling. Shanagarry/Ballycotton wouldn’t be a big hurling part of East Cork.

He’s a freak on the ball. As good as Joe Deane was back then, only faster. But not as brave.

Apparently the replay is July the 7th. Think the fuckers would have it on in Dungarvan.

Regarding future Cork Seniors on the Cork Minor team, Sweetnam and Lehane are the main canditates, and possibly Joyce as well. All three are athletes with plenty of hurling - I’d put money on Lehane being our senior wing-forward 3-4 years down the line in fact. My problem with Coughlan and Hartnett, extremely talented players that they are, they are so fucking small - one wonders if the game of Hurling has changed so much that players of the stature have become redundant regardless of size.

Maybe the Cork County Board could bribe them to have it in Pairc Ui Chaoimh again?

Presuming everyone is fit, the team I’d like to see the next day:

W. McCarthy

D. Cahalane D. O’Carroll Ryan (otherwise C. Spillane)

K. Buckley C. Joyce F. O’Mahony

D. Sweetnam N.Kelly

R. O’Shea S. Moore C. Lehane

J. Coughlan M. Howard (otherwise B. Murray) B.Hartnett

Duggan should be in the squad as well imo. I liked the balance of our attack when Howard was in full forward against Tipp.

Cuthbert rings Cork changes for Kerry clash

CORK boss Brian Cuthbert has made three changes to his starting 15 for next Sunday’s Munster MFC final against Kerry in FitzGerald Stadium, Killarney.

Roger Ryan has been drafted into the team at right corner-back, but is set to undergo a fitness test later in the week to decide whether he is able to take his place for Sunday’s game.

Darren Murphy also comes into the full-back line in the left corner while the final change is also in defence with Sean Ryan brought into the team at left half-back.

The three players to make way are Derek Crowley, Matthew O’Shea and Diarmuid Lester who formed the full-back line against Tipperary in the provincial semi-final. There are six positional changes made as well by Cuthbert with Damien Cahalane moving to full-back, Jamie Wall shifting to right half-back, and Tomas Clancy switching to centre- back.

Elsewhere, Jamie Burns starts at midfield alongside John O’Rourke, Kevin Sheehan will play at full-forward and Shane Duggan moves to left corner-forward. There are three new names among the substitutes with captain Daniel Fitzgerald recovering from injury to be part of the Cork squad, and Stephen O’Mahony (Gabriel Rangers) and Kevin Sulligmati (Nemo Rangers) also added to the 24-man panel.

Kerry manager Pat O’Driscoll has made one change for the game, drafting Waterville attacker Barry Dwyer into his team at right corner-forward with Gavin O’Grady moving into full-forward and the injured Sean Keane being the player to lose out.

There are two new faces to the Kerry panel from the team that played Limerick. Sean McCarthy (Legion) and Marcus Mangan (Milltown/ Castlemaine) are added to the subs list.

CORK MF: D Hanrahan (Douglas); R Ryan (Bishopstown), D Cahalane (Castlehaven), D Murphy (Ballincollig); J Wall (Killbrittain), T Clancy (Clonakilty), S Ryan (Newcestown); J Burns (St Finbarrs), J O’Rourke (Carbery Rangers); K Hallissey (Éire Óg), M Sugrue (Bandon), A Cronin (Nemo Rangers); B Hurley (Castlehaven), K Sheehan (Mallow), S Duggan (Na Piarsaigh).

Subs: S Masters (Kilmichael), M O’Shea (Glengarriff), J Goggin (St Finbarrs), S O’Mahony (Gabriel Rangers), K Sulligmati (Nemo Rangers) <_< , D Ring (Canovee), T Hegarty (O’Donovan Rossa), D Fitzgerald (Kiskeam), D McEoin (Ilen Rovers).

KERRY MF: P McCarthy (Rathmore); P Kilkenny (Glenbeigh/Glencar), D Culhane (Ballylongford), F McNamara (Austin Stacks); J Walsh (Knocknagoshel), L Bastible (John Mitchell’s), J Hickson (Annascaul); D Somers (St Senan’s), G Durrant (Dingle); M Reen (Rathmore), T Hickey (Desmonds), G O’Leary (Kilcummin); B Dwyer (Waterville), G O’Grady (Glenbeigh/Glencar), E O’Connor (St Michaels/Foilmore).

Subs: D Horgan (St Mary’s Caherciveen), J Moynihan (Rathmore), C O’Leary (Kilcummin), T Morley (Templenoe), S McCarthy (Legion), C Cox (Listowel Emmetts), A Thompson (Kerins O’Rahillys), M Mangan (Milltown/Castlemaine), P Boyle (Ballyduff).