Cork v Tipp - Munster Hurling Semi-Final

who was that kev? i didnt see him now. we were on the wash side of the steps. Twas like going out at home such was the number of tipp lads. The Wash was like the County bar in Thurles during the Galway game

He went for one of the umpires, looks a ill-disciplined little idiot.

I see a few photos of it on a mates facebook, it looks like right craic alright. I was down there on the Sunday night after a Tipp Cork game (possibly 06) and engaged in high-jinx on the steps. Great laugh.

he was full forward all of last year too.

I know, I was wondering why I wrote debut.

Does anyone think Tipp will still be that bad in two months time?

Can’t believe that the tipp management kept telling O’Brien to drift off Gardiner…Gardiner was launching ball after ball down on top of Aisake under little or no pressure

Hennessey certainly has ability but would worry about his mobility when the ground hardens and pace quickens…Can’t see him making it in the half forward line, possibly as a half back

No but they are a long way off where they were last september and it is very hard to turn form on and off…The likes of Noel and Shane McGrath and O’Mahoney looked miles off the pace…Even though they aren’t that highly rated both Kerwick and Woodlocks energy and graft were missed by tipp…

Credit to Brendan Maher who kept on hurling despite the fact that his half back and forward line were being cleaned out…

It says a lot that John O’Brien is still a regular starter on that team imho. He’s as windy as you’d ever come across. I think he’s a fine hurler in many regards but he’s often completely anonymous. Of course, you only have to look to Callinan to see an even better example of it. Callinan is clearly a class act, but yet again he was nowhere to be seen when Tipp came under the cosh. Of the teams that have won all-irelands over the last twenty years it’s hard to think of any that had a centre-forward who was so far removed from winning a bit of ball when they needed it. Niall McCarthy for all his faults would work like a small donkey for seventy minutes and would never dream of floating around the place looking for ball to run onto.

I know Tipp have a different style of playing their forwards but such an absence of primary ball winning ability in the half forward line has repeatedly hurt them in big games, and Callinan is one of the primary culprits. Is it a case of them being utterly committed to playing the way they do or is the case that they just don’t have anything else?

Jesus, they seem to be over doing the panic in Tipp, that the result set them back years??? Bit over the top. The giving out of development squads is ridiculous. Maybe they need to promote more hurlers (we had the O’ Connors, horgan etc) they had more athletes (with notable exceptions like Kelly, Maher x 2, Cahill) going on sunday. But i wonder about Callinan, Hennessy and all these fellas. Too fast and powerful at Minor & U-21, but thats not enough at Senior.

See here

Michael Cleary had a go in some paper as well. They’re an odd bunch.

No doubt they will put this reaction down to the high standards which have yielded them almost as many All Irelands as Offaly in the last thirty years.

Here’s Babs at it.

Whatever you say about ex-Cork players they never do things like this. I’ve seen in from Offaly, Clare and Galway in small doses, but Tipp are “bet all” for it.

[quote=“Watch The Break, post: 470836”]
Michael Cleary had a go in some paper as well. They’re an odd bunch.

No doubt they will put this reaction down to the high standards which have yielded them almost as many All Irelands as Offaly in the last thirty years.[/quote]

Yet more than Clare, Waterford and Limerick put together.

Where did you see that, remember by any chance?

Babs is just a bitter fucker who is still living in the 60’s.
Kev, there were plenty of ex-Cork hurlers with plenty to say in the last few years so give over.
Of course people are going to ask questions and be unhappy after shipping their heaviest defeat to Cork in 70 odd years.

Yet less than Offaly, Cavan, Tyrone and Warwickshire.

Timing of this Tipp dose of reality is fortunate

Diarmuid O’Flynn

IN ANY overheating economy, the most prudent measure is to take deflationary steps. It could be argued that following last season’s progression, where they ran Kilkenny so close in the National League final in May, then the All-Ireland final in September, the hurling ‘economy’ in Tipperary had become bullish in the extreme.

On the back of those performances, on the back of successful underage teams of a few years previously, expectations had risen in the Premier county, and with good reason. Without question, this was rising stock, and everyone wanted their share. What now, however? Was it just a bubble, and if so, has it been burst? Well if there was naught but hot air there in the first place, then yes, it’s over; Tipp will win a game or two in the qualifiers, but when it comes back to the real action again, the quarter-final stages, they’ll fail again.
But was it just all hot air, or was there real substance to the rise of Tipperary? The latter, I believe. Point to remember here, and most of us were guilty of overlooking it in the lead-up to Sunday – this is still a Cork team of real quality. Remember, even with a stunted preparation Cork could have beaten Tipperary last year in Munster, lost by just a goal; in 2008, they SHOULD have beaten Tipperary, were threatening to do to them in the first 20 minutes what they actually did last Sunday, until a superb Eoin Kelly goal brought Tipp back into it - even at that it still took a penalty save in the second half to see Tipp safely home.

So, Cork weren’t that far off Tipp to begin with. Then you look at how the ‘new’ guys performed for Cork, at how the ‘old’ guys performed – some in new positions - and you see that this was an improved Cork, a much improved Cork, on last year. Quite obviously, Tipp weren’t ready for those improvements, weren’t ready for this increased Cork challenge, and they paid the price. Be even slightly off the pace at this level at this time of year, mentally or physically, and you fall, often very heavily.
This was a wake-up call for Tipp, a sharp dose of harsh reality, and its timing is fortunate. Had Tipp got over Cork they certainly would have got past Limerick, into a Munster final on an ever-rising tide of expectation; there, they would have been expected to get past either of Waterford or Clare, but what if they hadn’t? How much time would that leave them to recover before an All-Ireland quarter-final against what would probably be decent opposition? And if they HAD won another Munster title, how ready would they have been psychologically for a Cork-like challenge in an All-Ireland semi-final?

Now they know; that major deflationary measure has been imposed on them but in time enough for them to recover. Their All-Ireland ambitions have been bruised, battered, no question about that, but Tipperary can make a full recovery. Will it see them to September?
Not necessarily, so many good teams there now, but it will see them back in the game. And really, their shareholders should expect nothing more.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/blog/post/2010/05/31/Timing-of-this-Tipp-dose-of-reality-is-fortunate.aspx

Not if you include U-21 & Minor. I see Tony Griffin’s book is very even-handed with no critisisms of the set-up in Clare.

:rolleyes:

Warwickshire have a strong tiddlywinks tradition, I’m including that as well.