Coronavirus - Here come the variants

You can understand it at music festivals even if it’s still awful and ruins the atmosphere. Organisers in Ireland take the approach that it’s easier to clean it all up after than put out and service bins.

Phoenix park is the same. Even fine day and the bins are overflowing

Limerick council in fairness have put giant wheelie bins in place along the river and come along to empty them regularly, doesn’t make a pile of difference though, still litter strewn all over the place. And it’s adults responsible in the main

1 Like

Not to absolve them but there are videos of the Guards clearing them off. The helicopter was out last night as well. Litter would inevitably be left in that scenario as people clear off quickly.

Provide more bins and police it properly like last year. There is a line between anti social behaviour and decent public behaviour of course, that should be up to the Guards to put in place reasonably.

It is a bit of a pain that kids have decided to go there though. I assume they are just following what adults were doing as it was the perfect spot for a pint from the Dropping Well and to stay clear away. They won’t be buying anything from the pub now and everyone will lose out if AGS decide to plonk themselves there.

Not sure what the expectation is for late teens and 20 somethings. They have now been told that nothing will open for months for them and they are in last place for the vaccine, with potential vaccine passports being looked at. If they go to the approach of stopping them from being outdoors like that, they will just go indoors. Rather than having scare story adverts on Covid now, communication to the younger audience needs to be more measured.

2 Likes

It’s all true

But they can still pick up their shit and find a bin to put it in,

Irish people are dirty bastards. Cunts leaving glass bottles and Nappies on beaches.

3 Likes

Almost exclusively

i was thinking more of the tent villages left behind. Thats not on organisers

Brittas bay after a day sunshine is some sight…Paddy is an animal …whether it’s food ,hooch or litter …

2 Likes

I agree with you there. But I can see how it happening to a greater degree when they are hounded out. I think that picture is a combination of that and people generally littering. Littering is certainly a problem still, you would have thought the younger woke crows would be a bit better for this sort of thing but there we are.

Last year places like Herbert Park and Dartmouth Square saw drinking but people put their rubbish in the bins provided.

The Dropping Well. It was completely spotless this morning supposedly. Charlie Chawke had staff out on a €20 euro a person who volunteered to do it.

Yeah true. Last time I was at EP was a good few years ago now. I wasn’t in the main campsite but walking through it on the way out it was like a warzone, I was glad I hadn’t been in it.

1 Like

Last year the Bridge were good in having a guy going around taking up rubbish from people. When they put Guinness into a bottle to try and stop the Guards giving out it went a step too far in appeasing the man.

I’d say the majority of that rubbish was drink bought elsewhere. I was down at the Dropping Well a couple of weeks ago having a coffee. The crowd was 20 to 40 somethings having a casual pint or coffee. Problem is that younger kids see that and want in, but they bring a new dynamic. Rule 1 for nightclubs is never lower your age brackets if you have a good thing going.

2 Likes

the dirty brits at it too

Scenes.

1 Like

I searched for the “Travel Expert Advisory Group”. Can’t find any info on it or what it’s make up is. There are other expert advisory groups that are subsets of NPHET, so I surmise this is another one.

So, what we have here is NPHET yet again going beyond its remit and leaking a recommendation before it has consulted with other government departments as it is required to do.

These guys need to be chopped off at the knees at this stage.

13 Likes

Yeah - I tried to google it too and couldn’t seem to find any record of it. Is that normal?

It seems like a complete solo-run by staff in the Department of Health anyway and they were very quick to leak out the recommendation - seemed to have caught even the various other departments on the hop.

If Robert Watt was sent in there to get some sort of control it wouldn’t seem like he’s done much so far.

Attorney General, concerned about freedom of movement within EU but has expressed no concerns about freedom of movement within the state. You couldn’t make it up

10 Likes

People never hand back power. NPHET will continue at this shit until an elected official with even half a backbone will tell them where to go

4 Likes

As I said it’s a NPHET subset. Here’s the relevant provision in the statutory instrument. There’s a few things to note here.

The recommendation on countries to specify is to come from the CMO. Apparently he is being advised by the “travel advisory expert group”. This is a subset of NPHET. For the purposes of this provision, the CMO basically means NPHET too. So, the recommendation came from NPHET and the leak came from NPHET.

Next. Category 2 states are supposed to be where “variants of concern” are circulating". But what appears to have happened is the “expert group” in its eagerness has added all the redlist countries. That’s a big overstep of the mark there.

Finally as widely noted, the minister may specify countries only after consulting with Foreign Affairs (and in practice other departments and the cabinet). But, NPHET has leaked ahead of that once again. This is genuinely outrageous.

5 Likes