Coronavirus - Here come the variants

If you’ve been locked up for months what’s your natural impulse? If you lockdown there’s invariably gonna be a surge when you open up, which sends you back into lockdown
 Unless you have the gumption to see those numbers eventually plateau . See Boston as an example
 huge Spike but instead of locking down what they put in place tight restrictions that kept businesses open and eventually people fell in line and got used to living with them 
 Lockdowns are boom bust , it’s an endless cycle. And it’s our only action because of political cowardice and and substandard health service.

3 Likes

I think putting San Marino and Andorra on the quarantine list could be a game changer

4 Likes

Sister is a teacher. Got a text to say 20 vaccines available first come first served yesterday. Nearby hospital. From the principal.

Few said fuck it and went.

April Fool text an hour later.

22 Likes

I don’t know if it’s his idea, wasn’t he giving out about how slow we were in opening businesses back up last summer ?

Terrific banter

1 Like

He’s secretary of the department and it’s a DOH initiative

They are testing more people now than ever. Stop the testing

The initiation and implementation of that was a shit show. Now it was clearly the medics and politicians driving the bus but he should have had a lot of oversight of such a sensitive measure. He’s always struck me as true believer neoliberal with a high opinion of himself. Despite him having a high profile I’m not aware of anything that can be credited to him, good or bad.

@Tassotti called it a year ago tbf to him

Even more of these pop up test centres for asymptomatic people.

2 Likes

I’d imagine there’s two main factors in why the numbers are stubbornly high. The false positive rate is by best estimates somewhere between 0.5% and 1%. This is a really superbly accurate test but if they test 20000 a day as they have been, then you are looking at 100 to 200 people out of 600 who actually just don’t have it.
Second factor is schools are open.

More transmissable variant is obvious reason.

2 Likes

A lot of people have packed in social distancing.

Who could blame them.

2 Likes

It was great to see droves of people out walking today but yet adhering to social distancing. These courageous people are the ones saving lives :clap:

After a year of this shite it’s astounding that some lads still can’t see what’s in front of them.

1 Like

Cork is an interesting case. The same phenomena seen elsewhere must apply - lockdown fatigue, schools back, construction back to some extent. A fair amount of college students too plus some ‘deprived’ inner city areas with dense housing and low respect for authority. Yet yesterday was the first time in a while it’s had more than 20 daily new cases :man_shrugging:

Back to the first wave today. Queue to get into SuperValu and a massive gang of yutes in the car park.

1 Like

First time I had to queue to get into a shop for a long time myself today

I have