Coronavirus - Here come the variants

what a wonderfully apt typo!

1 Like

You said it was over. Did you just mean level 5 was over or are you pivoting again?

Iā€™m not suggesting anything baselessly. I just donā€™t think that bringing South Africa into the argument is of relevance.

The lockdown in Ireland post Christmas did work. It saved lives. Our hospitals were nearly keeling over. Anything other than a shut down of the society would have resulted in more and more cases. The lockdown was needed at that time.

Iā€™m not for lockdowns as a full time management tool for this. But acute situations have arisen and we needed an intervention against this ferocious opponent in those circumstances. To say anything else in the Irish context of that time defies logic to me.

1 Like

and where was the expanded ICU capacity and test and trace that weā€™d been promised to alleviate this exact thing?

No ā€œLevel 5 lockdownā€ seems to be a bit of a climbdown from what you were previously saying

1 Like

I was ballhopping you lunatic, just having a bit of fun, I canā€™t believe I have to explain this.
I firmly believe it is coming to an end quite soon, gradual opening up beginning in a few weeks, then as the vaccinations continue the relaxation follows,
Itā€™s quite odd how much attention my posts receive

Could people stop bringing up India and Brazil. Do you think either country can tell itā€™s population to work from home? Give everyone a check or pay 20% of the population unemployment?

2 Likes

That was a very specific reply to @The_Most_Infamous, maybe read his post before you get your knickers in a twist,

Thereā€™s good money to be made

Donā€™t let it go to your head whatever you do

So you donā€™t think comparing how a country where a wave of Covid fizzled out without a lockdown to a country where a wave of Covid fizzled out with a lockdown is relevant.

Therefore you donā€™t want to look at the real impact of lockdown.

How did it work? How did it save lives? That is purely speculative. 160k more cases of Covid happened after lockdown, 2.6k more deaths. There is no basis to definitively support what youā€™re saying. If lockdowns worked why were they having daily cases of 1,300 6 weeks after Level 5 had been introduced?

Your thoughts on this seem to be all over the place. You think itā€™s basically over yet seem to be aligning yourself with the opinion that we canā€™t open up until every person is fully vaccinated

1 Like

Ok, Iā€™m not a gambling man but Iā€™ll take up your offer.

Lets say 500 euro then, agreed? I donā€™t want to take too much money off a teacher.

1 Like

The mad bastards trampling each other to swim in a shit infested river in their thousands, they will be told to stay at home alright!

Sure what does ā€˜a countryā€™ even mean. If weā€™ve learnt anything (and Iā€™m not saying we have)itā€™s that covid is no respecter of borders and boundaries

Why canā€™t he think those two things? We are not very far away from most people being vaccinated, and he considers that nearly over. Makes sense to me.

:rofl:

2 Likes

Iā€™m sure we could have done more on expanding ICU capacity. But that wouldnā€™t have been a solution against a virus that keeps doubling if left unchecked.

Everybody includes children surely?

1 Like

500 it is then, if thats what you want.

there will be no equivalent to current level 5 lockdown next winter.thats november through January right?