Coronavirus - Here come the variants

My parents know I was down there. I’ll be meeting them today.

They are working and meeting people each day so they can accept it. I’m not sure how they would feel if they were cooked up listening to RTE scaremongering all day.

3 Likes

A public health nurse confronted my wife in the school one day, enquiring as to whether she would be taking the swine flu vaccine for the kids. My wife said no, because another nurse warned her against it. The public health nurse was infuriated and told my wife that she was a disgrace and an unfit mother, the other half left in tears.

1 Like

Lots of European countries have curfews (France national curfew 18.00 to 06.00 I think I read), tighter limits on distance you can go, requirements to carry a form specifying the reason you are leaving your house etc. Ireland has had longer states of “lockdown” but it has been less stringent than many of the lockdowns across Europe at various stages.

No other country has followed that model and Sweden itself has backed away from it. I’m not bothered going into it any more really.

If you want to comment you should inform yourself first. If ivermectin did the same as vaccines why wouldn’t we just produce loads of that and open up? Honestly, that’s really silly. You’re not in any way thick, you’re a smart guy so you can inform yourself better here if you decide to. Then make your mind up. But don’t make your mind up when you seem to know nothing about it.

Comment away. Know that it makes you look like a crank. You want to whinge about restrictions but won’t do the one thing you can do to help ease them. You want to complain about the situation, but by your actions you are prolonging it. Does that really make sense?

You’re right it is an important debate.

There’s good reason for that.

Here’s the reasons I see to get the vaccine:
1 to protect your own health
2 to protect the health of others
3 the ease restrictions and get us back to normal life

1. You’ll say you’re not afraid of Corona virus. I’m not either. But I’d rather not get it. It can have some nasty long term effects for some healthy people. These are proven. You’d prefer the risk of something that is proven can have really bad long terms effects to something that has been rigorously tested and judged safe. That’s bizarre to me.

2. Vaccines stop you getting sick, they aren’t certain about transmission yet but it’s highly likely that at the very least it reduces transmission. I expect it will reduce it massively. So getting it protects others. The big risk of covid is the health system being overwhelmed, because of exponential growth. If you take the vaccine you reduce that risk, so getting it protects others. You’re telling me you’d prefer not take it and end up being put on invermectin in the hospital instead, so you’d actually prefer to be a burden on the health service. More people vaccinated reduces the risk of variants. If you and a lot more people refuse to take it it increases the risk the of the virus mutating, and undoing the protection that vulnerable people derive from the vaccine.

For all four reasons, refusing the vaccine is, in my view, hugely selfish.

1. Again this affects everyone. Restrictions end when enough people are vaccinated. You want restrictions to end, but want everyone else to do it for you. Once again, selfish.
6 Likes

Excellent post mate in fairness,

I don’t want to repeat myself but with regards to the vaccines, surely their whole purpose should be to provide immunity from the virus and stop transmission of same.

The current ones available from Pzizer, Moderna and Astra Zenica don’t claim to do that. All three pharma companies are also indemnified from any side effects - which I thought was odd.

Isnt it ideal for these corporations that supposedly in order for their product to work everyone has to get them. I don’t believe that has ever been the case previously and I don’t believe its necessary for a virus with a 99.7% recovery.

Where does it end though? For every variant of a coronavirus are we going to lockdown the country going forward as the precedent has been set without a new shiny vaccine?

Israel who are way out in front with regards to vaccination are already referring to a 3rd and 4th booster shot.

Whatever happened to people losing weight, taking vitamins, exercising etc - are we just going to have to take new experimental vaccines forevrer or face being outcasted from society?

I don’t like where we are going as a society with the vaccine passports, its a very dangerous precedent and it will create savage inequality.

Ultimately, we don’t know enough about these vaccines to say if they’ll even be benefical. To be laying everyones futures in their hands in my opinion is niave in the extreme.

To your final point re me being selfish, I’m not advocating anyone to take the vaccines first. I’ve told people within my family the opposite in fact - ie stay clear of them.

4 Likes

New drug out from Merk called Molnupiravir and is showing stellar results in trials combatting covid. No more excuses, open up the country now!

1 Like

Where are you getting the notion that the vaccines don’t provide immunity? That’s the whole point of a vaccine and all of them are demonstrating high levels of immunity as in greatly reducing moderate to severe illness. The J&J clinical trial had 435 people with symptomatic Covid, not one of the group that got the vaccine was hospitalized or died. Half of the 40k in the trial had comorbidities, so were candidates for serious illness.

3 Likes

Look, to me those are mostly tangents, none of them are reasons not to take the vaccine.

We don’t have vaccine passports. That’s an unfounded fear in my view, we do not live in Israel, thank god.

I spelled out five different reasons above why I think not taking the vaccine is selfish. It doesn’t make you less selfish if you advise other people not to take it.

Taking the vaccine helps other people: it helps protect them from the virus, it helps protect the health system from you being a burden on it, and it helps all of us get out of bloody restrictions faster.

Not taking it is completely, utterly, and entirely selfish. You get no benefit from it, and you’ve decided to put your unfounded fears over the good it does to the rest of society.

Im sorry pal but there it is.

2 Likes

You’re deluded if you think vaccine passports are an “unfounded fear”

As sure as there’s a tail on a cat, an attempt (hopefully unsuccessful) will be made to introduce some form of same.

2 Likes

You sound like the sort of fella who’s terrified about ‘them’ getting your PPS number

Its too early to tell for definite mate. High levels of immunity isnt immunity. I think boosters will be needed before next winter and then there’s always going to be new variants.

You can’t tell me anything about long term side effects of these vaccines - they’re not around long enough, fingers crossed they’re fine, but we’ve seen in the recent past problems with the Swine Flu jabs that arent apparent initially.

The Revenue Commissioners and my medical insurer have my PPS number.

Nobody else needs it nor shall have it.

1 Like

I knew it :rofl:

I sincerely hope the vaccine passports are an unfounded fear mate.

Unfortunately, given this is a global pandemic - what Israel are doing in terms of a vaccine passport has every chance of being rolled out here by the summer.

Its an awful precedent to set and road to go down.

A fine post but please note that Japan has followed an extremely Swedish approach and considers it to be very successful. You’re also setting yourself up for a big fall over this vaccine passport business.

I don’t think there’s any chance of that.

2 Likes

Hopefully I’m completely wrong on that. The below from Reuters suggests otherwise I’m afraid.

Its certificate now rather than passport*

Where does it end mate? Thats my biggest concern.

The way they’re currently viewed by some southern countries is that if you are vaccinated you can travel freely, anyone else can travel freely from a safe zone or with a negative test.

The difference is minimal, though. A vaccine passport and a negative test are only small degrees apart.

I personally think it’s abhorrent, but it will be a thing.

2 Likes