Coronavirus - Here for life (In high population density areas)

The problem is that the majority of parents do not want to send their kids back, it isn’t some,
In our school it was less than 30% were willing to send them in, I don’t think we’re an outlier, but there are solutions.
As things stand it would be robbing Peter to pay Paul, the solution will not be found in a send them all back dictat.

If you have a class of 12 in special ed and you’re teaching to 4 face to face the other 8 will probably suffer as well.

Would a teacher be on their own in a class of 12 or would they have classroom assistants? Schools are open to the children of essential workers here but with no teachers, it’s all classroom assistants looking after things.

It would depend on the type of classroom and the needs of the children.
In a school for children with mild learning difficulties you’d likely have a half an SNA, in moderate and profound classrooms or Autism units you’d have at least 1 SNA at all times.

To answer your question

1 Like

As much as I dislike him he appears the be the only one countering the zero covid advocates.

2 Likes

Maybe i don’t know enough about this but is it really a union problem? When schools were closed and the proposal was to keep the LC going there was uproar. The government backed down and closed all schools, but people were surprised this included special ed services too. Surely the department could have cancelled their bizarre leaving cert plan and kept special ed open? This appears to be a problem entirely of the department’s initiation. Foley is the most hapless minister I’ve seen in a long time. Has the department proposed reopening special ed and the unions refused? If so I missed that.

1 Like

Or at least making the case that its far from easy and mightn’t be achievable considering our situation and that there are real trade-offs involved.

His comment about 1 year travel bans was probably over the top but it’s hard to cut through the utter propaganda and sloganeering bandwagon of the Zero Covid crowd over the last couple of weeks to add an element of reality to it.

1 Like

I’m not saying send them all back dictat I’m saying the SNAs should be back in the classroom and the parents who want to send their kids back can. By most accounts online classes for a lot of these kids do next to nothing so it’s not robbing Peter to pay Paul at all really but surely there could be online classes organised for the kids whose parents won’t send them to school and still have a classroom offering for those who are willing?

1 Like

Yeah, all people hear at the moment is NZ are going to rugby matches we could have that. Absolutely nothing about the cost or practicalities involved.

3 Likes

I don’t think there’s been any discussion of that, SNAs wouldn’t welcome that level of responsibility I’d say, they’re not trained for it I suppose, but I can’t speak for them. It sounds like childcare though more than education.

It’s not going to be resolved simply because unions are painful, I wouldn’t single out the teachers unions in that.
It needs to be micro managed within each school, it’s workable alright and you’d get enough staff in to manage the minority of pupils that you’d have, certainly.

But your earlier post while well intentioned and having people sign petitions etc doesn’t reflect the full reality by any means.
People are outraged, rightly so, but without understanding the minutae

2 Likes

TB has destroyed @Raylan and @balbec here.

@glasagusban and @TheUlteriorMotive must be embarrassed with all the latest mask chatter… They were posting up all kinds of nonsense about cloth masks when first introduced here.

Different virus. The TB vaccine is around since @balbec was in short pants

Nawful dig at Balbec…

Have masks made a tangible difference anywhere?

They have made Chinese ppe manufacturers very rich

2 Likes

As discussed at the time only medically approved masks have some effect but there’s , or was, a shortage on them. Governments needed to put an onus on the production of these but shur a bit of tissue over your mouth and you’ll be fine was the attitude.

If zero covid means having to go to rugby matches I’m happy enough to stay in lockdown.

23 Likes

:laughing: :laughing:

Naked like-grab there. I’ve awarded a like

1 Like

But has the DATA shown them to be effective? Are they actually doing anything?