Coronavirus - Here for life (In high population density areas)

I agree with you that it is certainly not a ‘killer disease’ in the way it was thought at the start and some simpletons still believe. Its absolutely no danger statistically to kids or most people. You keep banging on about that with statistics etc when it seems to be a point nobody here disagrees with you on. The reason for restrictions are as Thomas Brady outlined and I’d agree with him seem to be the only course to take certainly at this stage.

The vast majority of medical people doctors who work every day in hospitals, who know more about this than you and me, seem to disagree with you about the hospitals being overrun and in a functioning democracy we have to go with what they say. You’re entitled to your opinion about letting it rip but it’s a fairly niche one to say the least and an easy one to have when you’re not actually making the decisions.

1 Like

cheers man
i take back that comment that you headed west :slight_smile:

admins, etc?

97% on the PCR false positive means that for every 100 cases there are actually only 3? I don’t fully get the whole issue around PCR etc.

If you accept that 97% of those who tested positive were not infected, then the actual case number for Ireland is about 3,000 so the mortality rate is 50%.

That argument would not help open the pubs.

It’s all nuts. Do you think is there a coronavirus atallatall, Father?

Neither do I, except that the track and trace system means that the bank balance of the track and trace fellas is the only area where there is actual genuine exponential growth

1 Like

I don’t think just letting it rip was ever a viable option, unless you were able to send all the over 50s to Lanzarote while the under 50s went on the piss for a month. Having said that it is a bit of a disgrace that a year into this the hospitals and care homes are still riddled, or perhaps more riddled than ever.

1 Like

Lads nobody I know has died of or with Covid. There I said it

When was it circulating? Even with the chinese narrative it must have been everywhere

You do realize there’s probably about 1.5 million that are either obese, have underlying conditions or are over 65? It’s not like we’ve locked down to mind 10 people.

1 Like

From mid December I think, the big event was 5 million leaving Wuhan in early to mid January to escape it, and Chinese New Year at the end of January. Given how infectious it is I can’t believe it was around earlier than December, we would have seen exponential growth much earlier.

October according to some sources. A pal is a consultant based in derry, their initial training said it was in the US mid summer '19.
Not a clue, any of us.

I suppose it’s possible, maybe the initial version wasn’t easily transmitted and then mutated to a version that was.

Lovely thread

The PCR test runs for a number of cycles - to take @glenshane example say 45 cycles. Essentially what it looks to do during each cycle is double the amount of viral RNA in the sample and then at a certain point this is detectable. The Cycle number at which the virus is detectable and passes a threshold value is the recorded result - the Ct value ie Cycle threshold. Therefore the lower the Ct value of a sample the higher amount of viral RNA in the original sample and the higher the Ct value the lower the amount of RNA. If there is no viral RNA in the original sample (the vast majority of cases) then no Ct value is returned at all.

@glenshane keeps mentioning 45 cycles which is the clear sign of someone who doesn’t know how PCR works - and just parrots internet conspiracies. It doesn’t matter if the PCR is run for 45 cycles or 100 cycles - if there is no viral DNA present then no Ct value will be returned.

He is correct in that samples that return a high Ct value (say in the 30’s) indicate that only a small amount of viral RNA is present on the sample. However, I think it’s incorrect to present these as false positives. The small amount of viral RNA (and its there don’t forget unlike the vast majority of people where there is none detected) could be because it’s the beginning or end of an infection or because of the swabbing technique. They could be infectious or about to be infectious so prudently they’re advised to self-isolate etc.

Bottom line - if you don’t have viral RNA in your throat/nose -then it’s extremely unlikely you will register a Ct value. If you do register a Ct value then there’s something there.

Last point, the majority of “detected” results from labs would be samples with Ct values less than 30 ie high viral load which this argument doesn’t apply to

10 Likes

Wasn’t he using Portugal response as a stick to beat Irelands response with fairly recently? I assume he has done a mea culpa?

Population 4.9m people
2019 deaths from car accidents about 150

Return the calculator pal and get a new one

2 Likes

Me either until yesterday. The man was 70, in good enough health. In hospital for a few weeks.

You poor misfortune, if you want to big yourself up by having a cut at me then you should quote me, instead of quoting someone sort of half misquoting me. If I was being kind I’d say part your problem may lie in being unable to distinguish between a question and a statement. If I was being unkind I’d say you were still seething at making a holy show of yourself a few days ago
If you look at what I said you’ll see that I asked a question and expressed uncertainty about whether or not the 97% figure was reliable.

As for claiming that I don’t understand how pcr testing works… Congratulations on pushing an open door:

Now go away and catch yourself on.

1 Like

Seeing that you now accept that you don’t know how PCR testing works it’s odd that you go on and on about it - throwing out various “facts” which all seem to suit your tinfoil hat narrative that it’s a big fraud. My post was purely to try inform and bring some reality to your stats.

But now that we’ve established you don’t have a notion what you’re talking about we can probably leave it at that and the more sensible posters on here will just just know to ignore your ill-informed repetitive rants.

3 Likes