Coronavirus - Here for life (In high population density areas)

A bit of positivity starting to creep in here. Tony will have to knock this on the head

Youā€™re one negative cunt all the same.

The most senior doctor in the country wants us worried. Iā€™m just doing my bit

Youā€™re doing something alright.

Positivity rate at 5-6% still not perfect. We were probably at 3-4% last year including PCR mishaps.

Close contacts creeping up again, diminishing returns territory incoming. Nice spring where in 4 to 6 weeks should do the trick.

the law of diminishing returns
thats what drives gate length scaling in transistors

1 Like

Mooreā€™s Law?

well mooreā€™s law was what the industry tried to adhere to ( as in every 18 months the minimum feature of a transistor as in the gate length will reduce by a factor of 0.7 to increase the density of devices on the chip ) but the law of diminishing returns is what ultimately drives the need to scale as ultimately computing power tapers off
I have a handly slide on that somehere i had at IEDM there a few years back

id say conventional scaling ended around 2009 at 22nm when TSMC started manufacturing a tri metal gate device, samsung have one of those multi bridge channel mosfets now with a 3nm gate and after that we are down at atomic levels with one of those multi bridge channel mosfets

we should really get a seperate thread going on this

so we went
conventional mosfet
90nm 2002
65nm 2004
45 nm 2007
32 nm 2009
TRI metal gate FET
22nm 2010
14nm 2014
10 nm 2019
7nm TSMC 2021
5nm TSMC 2022

now we have problemsā€¦ i think its a multi bridge channel mosfet
3nm samsung TD
2nm 2025?
sub nmā€¦ gate all around, structures maybe

1 Like

Ewan has set his sights on Tomas Ryan

1 Like

Mee-hawl said we will be able to meet up outside in the summertime.

Ryan had rebuffed him with this

very disingenuous description of Australia

Thatā€™s such a disingenous answer. As new variants will be new - vaccines will never be ā€œstaying ahead of themā€. Similarly there is no such thing as ā€œerror free testingā€ - sensitivity/specificity occurs in all. Essentially what heā€™s saying is we can open up when we reach unattainable perfection.

Itā€™s absolutely weird that a non-expert like him gets such airtime.

13 Likes

Dara
Dara
Dara!

2 Likes

821/0

821/0

Spot on.

How can a vaccine possibly stay ahead of a variant?

Charlie
Charlie
Charlie!

2 Likes