Coronavirus - Here for life (In high population density areas)

That should really have been proof read before being published.

This is nearly over. For the remaining 7 or 8 weeks do something positive. Lads could aim to get fit, lose weight.

1 Like

People are saying this is nearly over but we need to press down on the throat now and finish this thing off.

To anyone who has actually opposed this so far then continue to do so.

1 Like

The BCG vaccine was found to provide little or no protection against the development of bacillary disease, yet the vaccine carried multiple listed side effects. Also, in our lifetime TB has been a non-event due to improved living conditions, etc., so you’d question the need for the BCG in the first instance.

In 2019, the notification rate for TB was about 6.2 per 100,000 population (source: HPSC). In almost 80% of cases, the main risk factors present were the patient was either a high endemicity resident or of high endemicity origin, or they were a contact (i.e. extended contact). So, for an Irish-born individual, whose origins are not in a high TB area, and who has good living conditions, the chances of contracting TB are almost zero.

We do know from the BCG vaccine insert that, in less than 1 case per 1,000, the vaccine can result in inflammation of lymph nodes, sometimes with abscess, infection with the bacteria from the vaccine can spread throughout the body (including the bones), seizures and convulsions (source: BCG Vaccine SSI). Now, the question remains is a bacterial infection in your bones, with seizures and convulsions, etc. on a par with TB and the well-documented long recovery associated with the disease? The odds, however, are that you are much more likely to get a severe reaction from the BCG vaccine than you are of contracting TB.

2 Likes

In what way is it a cunt of a country?
It has issue like everywhere else, but unemployment is low and whilst expensive to live in coastal cities the quality of life is by and large excellent
You have a boiling tension with the religous population which will explode soon and like every country on the SE med it can be a bit mad but apart from that I must say i thoroughly enjoyed the 6 years i was there…
now…you do have this mental mix of people from europeans to yemenis to ethopians to arabs and historicaly there was an Ashkenazim Mizrakim divide but that is dying out.

As i said before the kopat holim health service which is a very high standard of minimum equal healthcare for all with a primary care center in every village and appartment block is something miles away from us but not something that can be attained

its far from a cunt of a country to live . unless you are dirt poor and have to live near Gaza in Sderot or Ashqlon or are in some horrible part of jerusalem that has arab villages in the middle of housing projects…

living in a settlement is only for lunatics of the very poor… but those people are in every country

5 Likes

Yes, we need to do what nobody has ever managed to do before and defeat a coronavirus. We will achieve this through face coverings, experimental biologics, lockdowns, and by staying glued to the TV for further instructions :rofl:

1 Like

You picked me up wrong. I am referring to people to continue to put pressure to open up. Schools should be back in the morning.

1 Like

I know you’re all about the labels, so what should we label you following this nasty little outburst? “Xenophobic”, or do we call a spade a spade and go with “antisemite”?

1 Like

That’s a strange example if you don’t mind me saying,
The BCG is no longer given in Ireland,

1 Like

I see there is a new lay deal being agreed this week. Along with a restoration of pay for high earners.

What stands out is how poorly nurses are paid in comparison to teachers.

1 Like

Always thought similar? 30 to 60 type scale

Maybe it’s just the way the indo have presented it. But I thought the same.

Not the place to get into a debate in Israel, but here’s a recent example. It’s a truly fucked up country.

Yes and no. The HSE continued to implement a BCG programme up until 5 or 6 years ago, while TB cases had been low for many years. They were quite happy to give the vaccine to babies only a few days old to use up existing stocks.

The BCG vaccine saved millions of lives (is that fair to say?)
Now if it outlived its usefulness that is a matter of opinion I suppose, but how many people are suffering in Ireland from the side effects today roughly? And how long does it last in storage that it was being given to use up stocks?

Vaccines are science and medicines greatest gift to the world, many of us probably wouldn’t be here today otherwise.
In the context of this current vaccine you can certainly refuse, but I wouldn’t think that problems with previous vaccines is a good excuse.

You could say the same for rape

1 Like

I’m not sure it is. In the late 1960s, the WHO carried out a multi-year large-scale community-based double-blind randomised controlled trial of BCG vaccines in India for TB prevention. The purpose of the trial was to evaluate the protective effect of the BCG vaccine against bacillary forms of pulmonary tuberculosis. The WHO concluded some years later that “the present study has shown that the BCG did not give any protection against the development of bacillary disease.” (source: Bulletin of the World Health Organization, 1979)

That is not even remotely true. Sanitation systems are front and centre in relation to science and medicine. For science alone, electricity is probably science’s greatest gift to the world.

3 Likes

are there other vaccines for TB?

Because I doubt it’s controversial or questionable to say that vaccination against TB has saved millions of lives.

Just wait until the house parties actually start

Keep telling them they can’t even drink outdoors and that they will be locked up till summer and see what they do.