Coronavirus - the deadly virus that no one dies from

You’d hardly have the tea and coffee poured.

1 Like

Arts good - Sport bad

That makes absolutely no sense

my post or their strategy ?

Haha I know, bizarre

Their strategy.

Sorry mate I should have clarified.

1 Like

I don’t think it would bother anyone except shapers.

7 people at a house = bad
7 people at a house with a cello = good

12 Likes

The data published on this in Ireland is shocking, I know you gave up @Fagan_ODowd with the counties, it would be very interesting to see the recent data.

It looks to me like Dublin is down to around 20% of reported cases now, which is way down from nearly 50% previously. Be interesting if you excluded Kildare, Laois and Offaly but I couldn’t be bother going through their daily reports which don’t even correlate to the totals.

Looks to me like sports teams simply need to come up with a “controlled” strategy.

No harm in doing it, all teams should try it. Cinemas are using tech now where they restrict where you can sit.

Do it for 2 hundred people and try it for 5 hundred too (I suspect we won’t get higher for a while).

Local clubs should look at it too. It seems to me once you have the foot in the door with them that they struggle to close you down. They are trying their best with pubs though mind.

As an aside, yesterday’s restrictions look like they don’t want to directly close down any business, but they don’t give a crap about ancillary businesses. They can worry about them later on from the magic money tree. Even by just advising people to work from home again, they are putting small cafes that serve offices back in trouble. I’d love if the likes of Donnelly was asked that.

1 Like

Local coffee shop owner is in the paper today saying just that.
This will cripple his business again just as it was getting back on its feet.

1 Like

Welcome to Lockdown LOK

They don’t think about this stuff.

They locked down those three counties and were then talking about business supports only a couple of days later. They knew localised restrictions could be advised (though the NPHET made it up on the hoof as well) but weren’t prepared for a rounded approach.

They don’t even have their medium term Covid strategy in place. That should have been completed with the Programme for Government. How can you make spending plans when you don’t have that completed?

1 Like

I would imagine almost every cafe, shop, sandwich place, restaurant and coffee shop in Dublin 2 will close down in the next couple of months. If any of them reopened in the first place. Same goes for the IFSC. Most of those places in those areas closed up at 5 or 6 in the evening before as they relied almost exclusively on office trade. Probably 90% of their business is gone now and will be until next year for most I’d say.

2 Likes

A Brenda from Facebook type was ahead of me in the que and she stated in no uncertain terms that we are facing into the worst recession since 2008.

Been an awful harvest there. Weather hit hard at the wrong times. Protein shit, moisture dreadful, straw pathetic. Not a sight of malting to be got.

Tough time for the tillage farmer this year. Massive losses.

We go again.

2 Likes

It’s a real kick for the likes of Coffee Angel.

I saw the owner during the lockdown documenting how he was trying to keep things going, getting in the car for deliveries etc. Now he’ll have spent this money to come back and closed again, with smaller footfall during the last couple of months but holding on as best he could.

There’s a place I go to where I’d be friendly with the owner. Their business relied on three core elements - Trinity students, tourists and civil servants. People say that you just have to adapt but you can’t with your main three pillars gone. Even aside from the mess up on re locking these places down, a lot of the business supports do little for them.

1 Like

These egg heads probably never got on their club minor teams and are still bitter the auld lad dragged them away from the books to train

1 Like

Ewan is on the case, regarding new powers for Gardai

That egg Donnelly on the radio there saying parents aren’t allowed to watch their kids play. :roll_eyes:

1 Like