Coronavirus - the deadly virus that no one dies from

Id imagine it’s the age profile of those effected.

Civil Liberties me bollix, earring a fucking mask, what does it stop you from doing? Would you have us all coughing and spluttering our way around Dunnes, while people especially susceptible to the worst of this virus never leave the house?
Just cop on about the masks, it’s a small imposition on your life, you make plenty of sense but that’s just ridiculous, it’s not a case of stealing your civil liberties.

2 Likes

The cases numbers now reflect a high percentage of people with no symptoms.

At the start, people who were legitimately sick and likely had the virus couldn’t get a test unless they were gravely ill.

It’s highly likely the case numbers were WAY higher than reported earlier.

anyone who was going to die from this thing is sadly gone already, we have savage community transmission now, we just have to get on with it, no one is dying anymore

2 Likes

You wouldn’t get that in England, there would riots in the streets

I disagree.

Decent hand hygiene and proper cough and sneeze etiquette should be plenty. I think having to wear a mask (or any bit of cloth, tissue or underpants) on your head every time you go anywhere is a big imposition.

Yes - I imagine so. But it also demonstrates that increase in case numbers is not a doomsday scenario and countries appear to be better able to protect the most vulnerable.

You don’t get that message in the current spin though.

2 Likes

Is being told to constantly walk your hands also an imposition?

I don’t want to go any more into this but I consider your stance over face masks ridiculous, it is not an infringement of your civil liberties, it’s a common sense approach and doesn’t hold you back in any way from going about your day,

2 Likes

I just read the thread. The author points out that the danger is that these will spread to older and more vulnerable sections of society. Thus this is a warning to take action now in order to prevent rise in deaths.

No it’s not. Washing your hands is good personal hygiene and prevents any number of diseases transmit.

I’d have no problem with a mask in a nursing home, a meat plant etc. I wore one last night for 12 hours and will again tonight. I just think mandating them (especially as there is no standard whatsoever for them) OTT

As I pointed out at the time with all the headlines about “surges” and “record cases”, it was an exaggeration.

It certainly wasn’t good, but some pretty simple reading of the data and comparing to the new amounts of testing (yes Trump was correct on this, though he’d have just preferred for the tests to have gone away rather than explain it properly) from March and April told you a story.

Look mate, do you actually believe for a second that people are still following the hand washing etiquette that was all the talk back in March, do you even believe that more than half the population are walking their hands more than a few times a day? I don’t. And unless there’s somebody supervising most people don’t use the sanitizer either in my experience. Is it an infringement of your rights to have somebody ask you to sanitize?
The mask is a decent defence and it’s there for all to see, just get over your civil liberties, it’s a tiny thing, you don’t have to like it but it’s a comfort for many to see it, that is true.

As I said, mate, I believe hand hygiene is enough. There are hand sanitizer stations everywhere now.

And I think having to wear a mask to, essentially, be a member of society is wrong. If someone points me to evidence that they are necessary to save lives (and if they are, why weren’t they mandatory at the height of the pandemic?) I’ll reconsider.

I’m wearing one cos it’s the law, just like I’m following all these other nonsense restrictions, but I believe it’s over the top.

Whoah there horsey… let’s be careful what we’re wishing for here

6 Likes

The WHO, public health officials and the media were screaming about the “surge” and “record” number of cases in June and July.

But a simple reading of the data told you it was a nonsense.

There were over 8,000 deaths on some days in mid April, which was the peak death period, on April 17th the global deaths peaked at 8,563. At 1% IFR (the mid level) that would have been at least 800k cases a day in some period over March or April. At Ferguson’s calculated average IFR, that was over 1.3m cases. The peak number of reported cases before April 17th was 83k.

Globally we didn’t get to over 100k cases until May 20th.

Things are certainly moving up again on deaths, but we are still at 80% of the peak deaths from April. I would guess that April deaths were actually under reported in fact, we added 216 deaths in Ireland at the end of April for example, the data hasn’t been wholly changed to reflect it.

I actually had a stern word with myself on Tuesday after I caught myself daydreaming and only washed my hands for 14 seconds.

1 Like

you are getting complacent

That’s why Ronan Glynn has banned me from bringing my children to my niece’s 6th birthday party.

The masks have made people stop using the sanitizers and keeping 2m apart in shops. They have been counter productive.

5 Likes

yes, i noticed that, a total cod at this stage