Coronavirus - the deadly virus that no one dies from

0 dead
61 cases

Its still a cod

2 Likes

The Clarecastle colored school?

I don’t know that one, is that where the Ballyea lads go now?

Further detail on Waterford cases. One of them is a youngster who went to Magaluf, didn’t self isolate when he came home. Went off playing soccer and three clubs are now in quarantine

some craic

Surely can be fined/punished?

If the curtain twitching here is a precedent they’ll demand for him to resign from his job

Kid on a leaving cert type holiday

Wuhan should remain in lockdown until every single place on planet earth is back to normal. It would be a great to see some solidarity from them instead they seem to be having a huge party.

1 Like

He’d want to be getting a boot up the hole.

1 Like

The parents are as bad these days.

3 Likes

The biggest issue with the virus it seems now.

this virus doesn’t discriminate

It has burnt out. It is no longer a major threat to life

Covid linked to heart issues, according to Irish hospital study

Even patients with a mild case of the virus can be left with cardiac problems and chronic fatigue

Susie Kelly used to cycle, do weight-lifting and care for her children Darragh, 19, and Corey, 9, but she has been left with crippling joint pain

ASPECT PHOTOGRAPHY

Niamh Griffin

Sunday August 23 2020, 2.00am BST, The Sunday Times

A 67-year old doctor who had Covid-19 in May, but was asymptomatic, has now been diagnosed with a serious heart condition — just one patient among many with what consultants call “long Covid” symptoms.

Now the Mater Misericordiae University Hospital is conducting a six-month study of Covid-19 patients to trace heart problems and chronic fatigue connected to the virus.

Researchers in America and Germany have found that even young athletes can suffer heart damage after a mild bout of the virus.

Jack Lambert, a consultant in infectious diseases at the hospital, who is also a professor at UCD, said: “We are seeing cardiac cases; we have patients with ongoing inflammation of the heart post-Covid; there is damage to the cardiac muscles. There are also people with ongoing brain inflammation, and chronic fatigue.”

He warned that being young was not a protection against long-term issues.

Lambert said: “We are often seeing people who had mild Covid — and were not even in the hospital — ending up with these persistent complications: cardiac and neuropsychiatric complications.”

He said that anyone who is experiencing unusual fatigue should discuss the possibility of it being Covid-related with their GP.

The doctor is Adrian McGoldrick, who was working at nursing homes in Kildare when he was tested following contact with a positive person. He said: “I would not still know I had had Covid-19 if I hadn’t been swabbed.”

McGoldrick, who is involved with equestrian and other sports, returned to work as a GP after the isolation period but developed problems seven to eight weeks later. He said: “I was struck down with the fatigue. I tried to go down to half-days but within four days I could not get out of bed.

“People think that if you are asymptomatic that you sail through it and you won’t have any problems long-term, but that is not the case.”

After undergoing multiple tests, a cardiac scan last week found myocarditis.

He said: “It means your heart is inflamed; it is quite serious. The potential risk with it is that you can get an arrythmia so your heart is beating irregularly, you get a cardiac arrest and die from it, or you can go into heart failure from it.”

McGoldrick’s experience chimes with research from the University of Frank- furt, which found that 60% of the Covid-19 patients studied developed this heart condition after their recovery.

In America, so many college footballers who have had the virus also have heart issues that doctors told the ESPN sport channel last week that they are considering cancelling the autumn season.

“If people are having symptoms like me of fatigue, even if they are not symptoms of Covid, they need to be aware, get investigated and make sure they don’t have myocarditis,” said McGoldrick.

He added that the HSE should make cardiac MRI scans part of the treatment for public Covid-19 patients.

In Waterford, Susie Kelly, 45, an emergency department nurse, is also coping with the after-effects of Covid-19. She was ill in March. She is back at work but still has severe joint pain and chronic fatigue.

Until getting the virus she was a regular at a weight-lifting club, cycled and went to Pilates classes as well as caring for her two children. “I want to tell people this is not the flu, it does not get better after 14 days. I am still waking up with joint pain, I am still getting drenched in sweat. And the joint pain is indescribably bad, I wake up every few hours to move around because the pain is so bad,” she said.

Kelly said even simple actions such as report-writing were difficult as her joints cramped up. “I hobble around the house after doing a shift, I’m taking afternoon naps. I used to cook every day, now we often have takeaways because I’m tired.”

Post-viral fatigue is common with any virus, but she said that after the sixth week she was really worried. Five months on, she does not see any improvement.

A member of the Long Covid Support Group on Facebook, which has more than 17,000 international members including dozens of Irish people, she said her situation was not unusual. Many people in the group are healthcare workers.

The two cases I personally know of are still flattened by it two and three months later.

Yeah I know a lad about 50,he’s very fit out walking and swimming all the time.His lungs are fucked,when he laughs he gets a fit of coughing. He was given the all clear about 3 mths ago.

Not to be awkward but anyone I know who got it recovered fine. Most were young in fairness.

One lad in his 50s at work reported a sore nose for a few weeks after it alright.

1 Like

:rollseyes:

Some people are fucked from it and others barely know they’ve had it, we’ve known this for months.

I