Coronavirus Thread (Markey hates Immigrants )

But you see you’re desperately searching for inconsistencies and flaws with the aim of throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

Of course there are flaws and inconsistencies - but again - in this case, something is very definitely better than nothing. That’s the point.

In the absence of the crystal clear policies of Zero Covid - which were very easy to understand - so no problem with messaging there - pretty much every policy we’ve brought in has had inconsistencies.

That’s the nature of what you’re dealing with when you don’t go full Zero Covid. People complaining about inconsistencies and confused messaging.

But the inconsistencies and confused messaging were what the people on this forum wanted - because to the best of my knowledge, hardly anybody here was in favour of Zero Covid.

Going against the EU after the hard work of brexit is a tendering mallet to thr face of frontline workers

2 Likes

Variants and MHQ are cods. Can we just open up and discuss this over a few pints

1 Like

Have you heard there’s vaccines for COVID19 that are effective against all variants and that the vast proportion of over 50s have received at least one shot in this country? For your information I don’t envisage the hospital system being overpowered again with this illness at least.

2 Likes

I think @rocko put in place a moratorium on the Covid threads for a few weekends? It would be most welcome back.

Again, I disagree. Why is something better than nothing? How is every other EU country getting on with their no MHQ?

A reasonable system would be to test people on arrival and use MHQ on those who test positive. We are using a sledgehammer to crack a nut.

By the way, your argument assumes that variants will do huge damage here. I don’t see any evidence for that either. We are already riddled with a “variant”. The measures that suppress it in Ireland currently will equally act against any other variant that comes in. You assume a variant will come in and be a superspreading event. There is nothing to suggest that is likely.

4 Likes

I caught the tail end of McConkey on radio 1 and he was warning of the risk of a 4th wave due to these varients.

1 Like

We have to get ahead of the variants that don’t exist yet.

George Lee has a bit of a pep back in his step there with news of the Indian variant. Hasn’t been himself recently.

2 Likes

On a boat as a wedding present like with the grey squirrel back in the day.

Exactly. There is no evidence that any of the variants that have emerged are any more dangerous in terms of lethality than the original strain and all the evidence says vaccination works to prevent serious illness against all of them. Once the most vulnerable groups are vaccinated, not alone should MHQ be dropped but most restrictions should be dropped. I would say Ireland is now at that point.

Aiming for zero Covid is a pipe dream, it would be like aiming for zero flu or zero colds. The disease is now endemic pretty much everywhere, it will ebb and flow for years if not decades, and we have to either choose to live with it or stay in hibernation forever. If the risk from variants are worth shutting down society now, they will be worth keeping it shut for decades.

Even though you are a bit of a leftie it’s good to see you adopt a sensible approach on this, but it’s really exposing the far left as complete nutters who won’t rest until they get their totalitarian utopia. Hopefully it’ll be a long wait, but if the last year demonstrates anything it shows how powerful propaganda can be in convincing people of blatantly false narratives.

4 Likes

Holohan is some operator.

2 Likes

:smiley:

1 Like

I genuinely don’t see any issue with a travel ban. There should have been a travel ban at Christmas too and if there was the last six months or so wouldn’t have been as torturous.

I think if we open the whole country up the people living in the country should be allowed the freedom for a few weeks.

By enforcing quarantine/banning travel you are just playing it safe a little bit for fear the worst happens and the vaccines fail or a new variant occurs. Like it’s only for another 3 or 4 months. I really don’t see the big issue at all. Australia have a quarantine, no vaccine and have been living normally for 10 months. I’d happily swap that for the mess we’ve endured.

2 Likes

The Indian variant and the Yorkshire variant are about to become the dominant strain in Ireland

I’d hope not but I’d genuinely lean towards travel/quarantine for four more months than another lock down of sorts in September.

The worry index had taken a serious dip

Yes, amazingly enough I have heard of the vaccines. Despite the vaccine programme ramping up, relatively few people are currently vaccinated. Which means that a highly transmissible variant rampaging through the population can still cause a lot of problems. It would be rather foolish to dismiss this threat. You’d think that after being burned three times already, everybody would be a bit wiser that caution is sensible and bravado is not, but I suppose that was a bit much to hope for in this instant gratification society.

Ah here.

A lot of them rather badly.

The assumption should be that B.1.617.2 has the potential to do significant damage, especially with 3.5 million people or thereabouts unvaccinated. In an environment with uncontrolled spread, I can’t see why anybody would think it doesn’t the potential to do so.

Your assumption is that we should dismiss expertise on this matter. It’s your right to hold that opinion.

We don’t have an environment with uncontrolled spread.

Again, which EU countries are riddled B.blahdyblah?

And finally, MHQ wasn’t introduced based on expert advice, it was introduced as a political reaction. No one in government thinks it makes us safer.

1 Like