Coronavirus Thread (Markey hates Immigrants )

AZ is only 60% effective against delta, apparently. Most/lots of our older and at risk people got AZ. Therefore, 40% of our older/at risk people are susceptible to delta.

I think vaccines do decrease severity of illness also, but if delta whipped through the country (say if we opened up fully tomorrow) then it would get to those older people pretty fast. It’s still a big number of people.

So there is a real reason for concern out there still.

They will probably put off opening on July 5th now. The media have set the stage. There is a real risk that government could be outflanked by NPHET again and people will be saying what about July in addition to what about last Christmas. It is a given that indian variant will become dominant strain and may result in an uptick in case numbers but government will probably have to show it happened organically under current restriction level and not one that occurred as a result of NPHET advice on 2nd July that they ignored. We are really in a tug of war now between politicians and politicised medical civil servants. Holohan last night took to twitter not long after Varadkar said young unvaccinated people can travel. What is most galling is that there seems to be no end in sight even as the push for herd immunity grows by the day as there will always be a variant of concern and an abundance of caution. This despite other countries edging ever closer to 2019 levels of normality.

AZ 92% effective after 2 doses I thought? Based on the Public Health England findings

1 Like

I thought I saw 60%. Perhaps not. Let it rip so!

Incidentally if they do want to drag out current level of restrictions it will probably be final nail in the coffin for many in the hospitality trade. People will take their money and green certs to other countries.

3 Likes

What did he say? Link? If he’s contradicting the government he should be fired, or at least have his phone taken off him.

Ah we’re grand so. Fire away.

In all seriousness, I’d prefer to see full crowds at croke park and other outdoor events before pubs.

Are restrictions not lifted up north? Thought ye were ahead of us up there.

He made a number of statements in thread above. He didn’t contradict Varadkar here or mention travel specifically but said to limit contacts, avoid crowds etc. Holohan said over weekend that young unvaccinated people shouldn’t travel. Varadkar came out and said they can.

They are clearly at odds with travel as you can see form paras 3 and 4 below with both having a view totally at odds with the other.

1 Like

They’re at odds on a lot.

I think it offers 60% protection against infection and 92% against hospitalisation.

Evidence is showing it is far more effective

https://www.astrazeneca.com/media-centre/press-releases/2021/covid-19-vaccine-astrazeneca-effective-against-delta-indian-variant.html

https://www.pmlive.com/pharma_news/pfizerbiontech,_az_vaccines_effective_against_delta_covid-19_variant_after_two_doses_1371713?SQ_DESIGN_NAME=2&

https://www.pmlive.com/pharma_news/pfizerbiontech,_az_vaccines_effective_against_delta_covid-19_variant_after_two_doses_1371713?SQ_DESIGN_NAME=2&

This article says 60% but it’s one doctors opinion

Tony will be asking Nolan to put together a few excel spreadsheets to tell Toby what he wants to hear

That guy is a bit of loon isn’t he. Think he’s had previous for being shown to be completely disingenuous.

Is he the guy who believes in Aliens?

you forgot racist

From reading wiki he appears to be a mcdonkey type character whose expertise is in obesity, its link to cancer etc and not infectious diseases.

I’ll stick to what Luke has said on the effectiveness of the vaccines

I dunno tbf he ran for the democracts, where did you see that