Coronavirus Thread (Markey hates Immigrants )

He was speculating that long Covid in pregnant women could lead to autism in their children. There is absolutely zero evidence for this, it was pure scaremongering at the time and would still be pure scaremongering today.

You may as well be arguing on behalf of Andrew Wakefield.

5 Likes

He suggested studying the effect of Covid 19 on foetal brain development.

He said “we know that maternal immune inflammation is one of the significant risk factors for autism spectrum disorder and other neuro-psychiatric problems.”

That’s an eminently reasonable point and certainly seems worthy of further investigation.

You don’t like it because you want to dismiss that Covid could have any long lasting effects on health.

That’s not a good faith position on your part.

It ends with you making incredibly pointless posts like this one.

It was fearmongering. He made a public statement on a risk from Covid that had zero evidence.

It would be like a doctor saying a Covid vaccine could induce a maternal immune inflammation leading to autism. There is exactly the same level of evidence for that.

2 Likes

The lad that was fearmongering a few minutes ago now dismisses a sensible point as fearmongering.

You couldn’t make it up.

That’s the way this forum has gone lately I suppose.

Lads believing whatever they want to believe based on it according with their kulturkampf views.

Last night we had a poster linking to an article by a crank who says that these variants are only emerging because of mass vaccination.

The crank says this despite the UK variant emerging well before there was any sort of mass vaccination at all.

The same people who like to moan here about “fearmongering” did not consider this fearmongering.

I found this very curious.

It is not sensible for a scientist to speculate on Covid leading to autism in children, and scare the shit out of every pregnant woman in the country, many of whom contracted Covid. It is absolutely on the same level as Wakefield and is on the same level as those suggesting Covid vaccines can lead to autism.

It’s the best example of scaremongering you are ever likely to come across, absolutely frightening to any pregnant woman given the realistic risk of contracting Covid at the time.

7 Likes

It was indefensible what Tomas Ryan did.

2 Likes

Noticeable ramp up on the airwaves today. Scally, Ryan, McConkey and various other ISAG members all rolled out during the morning and drivetime shows.

1 Like

But you haven’t dismisssed the point at all. Maternal immune inflammation is a significant factor for autism spectrum and neuropsychiatric disorders.

Your stance here is effectively that any investigations into the effect of Covid on foetal development should be dismissed outright, because you fear what the results might be.

That’s an absolutely crazy position.

That’s not what the paper says, did you read it and understand it? He was speculating that mass vaccination could lead to more dangerous variants. I don’t agree with him, but apparently according to you it is a scientific hypothesis so therefore logical.

I don’t even know what you’re talking about now, and I don’t think you do.

You’re all over the place.

The Vanden Bossche thing is as clear an example of fearmongering as you can get. You did not call it fearmongering, which feeds ever more to the very strange definition of fearmongering you have.

You need to silence their free speech.

But any virus or bacteria can cause maternal immune inflammation, including the flu or even the common cold. More reason to lockdown forever.

You have no idea what Bossche is talking about. Read the paper and come back to us.

So given what you say there, why is it a bad idea for people to investigate it?

Your last sentence merely returns to your original straw man.

Ah yeah. I’ve no idea at all. Wot eva.

We already know that exposure to pathogens can cause maternal immune inflammation, but it’s exceedingly rare. The flu is the most common pathogen source. It’s not something that medicine shouts a lot about, that getting a cold or flu while pregnant can lead to autism. For good reason.

But you haven’t dismissed the point. The point Ryan made was an eminently reasonable one.

The problem with this forum is that for some bizarre right wing kulturkampf purpose Ryan has become a hate figure.

Therefore a majority of posters dismiss what he says. Despite these posters having a proven record of consistently misunderstanding this pandemic and Ryan having a proven record of understanding it far better than they do.

Football team stuff, in other words. Bitching.

But if the point Ryan made was reasonable, he should have come out long ago and warned pregnant women in Ireland that getting the flu could lead to maternal immune inflammation which could lead to autism in their child. Because there is evidence of such risk, even though it is extremely low. We can speculate that Covid has the same risk, but there is no evidence of this. We can speculate that getting a Covid vaccine has the same risk, but there is no evidence of this.

If you don’t see the problem with what he was saying, I can’t help you further. Maybe go for a few more pints, you are getting absolutely trashed here.