Coronavirus Thread (Markey hates Immigrants )

They’re all wearing the white vestments on craggy island now.

1 Like

doing what Heinrich Holohan says

1 Like

I’ll repeat what I’ve said countless times over.

Look at the data from the north.

7 deaths in 65k cases in the u40 category.

If they wanted to delay the reopening until July the 19th, you could moan about it but say ok. It’s another 2 weeks and by that time all over 60s who took up the vaccine will be fully vaccinated and at that point the chance of anyone dying or getting seriously sick are miniscule (if we are led to believe what we are told on vaccine effectiveness).

What NPHET are proposing and govt swallowing does not stand up to scrutiny.

Most of the population will soon have some form of vaccine protection and the ones who don’t have been proven to not be at any great risk of serious illness and death of the virus. That is corroborated by the data. Anyone who denies this is a very sinister and dangerous individual.

12 Likes

Chuckle

cc @glenshane

2 Likes

Did I ever tell you the story about a Kerryman…

1 Like

He’s right though.

It’s for the birds that domestic economy should be closed when international travel is open. Insane.

Eamon is a bit of an eejit.

1 Like

hate to rake over old coals but you were gleefully thanking a poster here last year for passing you on my details by PM…

1 Like

I know its a contradiction in terms but he should be careful what he wishes for. Irish tourism at this juncture is really seasonal and boils down to 2 months July and August. If there is insufficient demand for air travel to Shannon and Cork which there isn’t really already Dublin will become the only operational airport in the country. In the absence of domestic demand to sustain the hotels, restaurants, pubs of west of Ireland they will face fierce economic hardship as they rely on low season tourism from US and other countries. Closing down international travel with the likes of Air Lingus losing €1m per day will further isolate us from rest of the world and for Airlines to develop new trading partners and routes that take decades to build up.

1 Like

I’m not overly perturbed either way about international travel but the domestic economy and society has to take precedent.

There seems to be a false dichotomy created by some that it is an either or. Its not. Both can coexist. There was also a narrative that lead to the ushering in of MHQ on the premise that people can fly into the country and we cant leave our county, eat indoors, go to a match. I think international travel is key to underpinning any domestic economy. 180,000 jobs directly involved in it and 250,000 jobs related to FDI.

But it is not just economic reasons. Down through the generations we have had many people who have had to emigrate for one reason or another. There are many Irish people dotted around the world who haven’t been able to come home in last 18 months to see loved ones, go to a funeral or visit a sick relative. We cant become a cold house to them either. Many of them will one day return and also form part of our society.

7 Likes

Domestic society and domestic economy simply have to take precedent though. One becomes before the other, it simply has to.

Who will want to visit Ireland in its current state?

No one is the short answer to that but they can open together.

We cannot have a divide and conquer situation either. We have seen that a bit already between certain sections in hospitality. Already there are talks of Digital Green cert being used to facilitate hospitality that was intended for travel. I see no reason why international travel and hospitality sector, events, colleges, workplaces cannot all open under those same parameters simultaneously.

I think we should open the pubs.

3 Likes

But they’re not really. International travel is getting more discretion than domestic society and economy in two weeks time.

It’s for the birds.

I haven’t been home in two years. But I have you guys!

2 Likes

What sort of nutters are still getting tested for this ? You’d want to be awful cunt to get one at this stage.

5 Likes

We have the misfortune here of being able to look after our own house in terms of domestic economy but have to act multilaterally when it comes to international travel and EU agreements. If anything the latter is like the north star in showing just how crazy the current status quo is here and how eventually we will have to find some balancing act as the outcomes from each are incompatible.

1 Like