Coronavirus Thread (Markey hates Immigrants )

You’d have to really feel for her. I link in this other point from you because I think it’s related.

How do you respond to each of these points in a covid world? What level of restrictions do either necessitate?

I think myself the UK should have maintained some mitigation measures, masks, some safety measures for pubs or clubs. Is long covid enough of a reason to maintain significant levels of restrictions? No. Would some minor mitigation measures be enough to protect this lady? Probably not. It’s an impossible balance to strike, I think Ireland and the UK have both gotten wrong at opposite ends of the spectrum.

Looks like the vaccines don’t work.

Variants are obviously a fact of life with viruses but is it true to say that the ‘bad’ variants, eg UK and Indian, emerge from areas with rampant Covid infections?

Therefore it f we restrict rampant infections we lower the likelihood of future ‘bad’ variants?

@Tierneevin1979 @Cheasty @Tim_Riggins @Tassotti

I wouldn’t say that but I can see us living with restrictions on off for a long time and likely more severe restrictions in the winter.

I don’t think many people die or anything but this stuff in Israel is definitely disappointing.

That article is a load of bollox.
The vaccines do work. They are still 93% effective at preventing serious illness/hospitalisation.
It only drops to 64% effective at preventing mild symptoms.

2 Likes

It needs spread to mutate, the more the spread the more opportunities to mutate.

1 Like

The dreaded hay-fever

2 Likes

Ergo the more powerful the spread the more powerful the mutation.

So if the UK continue with their Freedom Day idea then we can expect another more powerful UK variant in future.

1 Like

I’m actually taken aback at how stupid some people are

7 Likes

How do you mean powerful spread and powerful mutation. That’s not my understanding of how it works anyway. My understanding is that every time it spreads it offers an opportunity to mutate, mutations that make it spread easier will
proliferate. The more spread the more opportunities to mutate.

Look, the western world is going to be all vaccinated long before most of the world because we are selfish fuckers. So we’ll all be vaccinated but spread will still be unchecked elsewhere. What’s the point in us trying to limit spread because maybe variants will happen when there’s a huge world out there where they are more likely to happen anyway?

Thus far vaccines work against all variants. If one comes out that overcomes vaccines then they can be tweaked quickly and we top up and go again. Vaccines are the way out, lash them out, get back to normal.

1 Like

Yeah fair enough.

In a post Covid world we’re going to have to get used to masks, social distancing, limits on gatherings especially during winter when health service is stretched.

Any spike in respiratory illness from now on will be a lever to reimpose some restrictions as the equation has been set that restrictions save lives so anything we can do to save lives must be done.

Whether that is a good or bad thing will remain to be seen over next few years but it’s naive to think we won’t have some restrictions used over winters to come as hospitals are strained (as they always are). The level and extent of those restrictions remains to be seen - it might just be masks and distancing or it could be a lot more.

1 Like

You’ve become more and more of a hysterical screaming Mary as this year has worn on.

5 Likes

That is not going to happen. We can’t have restrictions and businesses closing because the health service can’t handle people catching the flu or chest infections. Post Covid there should be a push to sort out the health services rather than impose restrictions on people.

1 Like

Have a lie down for yourself there mate.

1 Like

What did he say?

Hospitalisations are rising so we need more restrictions - we’ve outdoor dining in tents that’s really indoor dining. We should probably get rid of intercounty travel as well.

Serves me right for listening to Classic FM.

2 Likes

:grin:

The scariants have people on the run.

2 Likes

Unfortunately I fear this will be the case. The Archbishop now runs the show.

I thought hospitalisations were falling, last I heard there were very few in ICU. He was hoping the vaccine wouldn’t work. He’s been quiet lately. He must be working on some sort of venetian blind type face mask similar to the net-curtain cure he invented for malaria.

1 Like