Coronavirus Thread (Markey hates Immigrants )

By way of context, my initial complaint, which you replied to first, was that the time limit on indoor dining will be reintroduced even after there is a vaccine passport.

To say “I do not know about pubs and a time limit” doesn’t cut it here because that’s what the entire discussion was about, the necessity or lack thereof of having a time limit after the introduction of a vaccine cert. That’s really the end of our debate because you’re not in a position to engage in a discussion about combining indoor time limits with vaccine certs if you don’t know anything about time limits.

Yes it is. The entire discussion is about how even when everyone is vaccinated and everyone is entering the pub with a vaccine cert there will still be a time limit. Ok I’ve made my point so I’ll try to stop repeating myself and treating you like a child.

Yes
More fundamental misunderstandings in this paragraph which I won’t waste our time engaging with.

You clearly have an easy black and white solution - don’t let any young person inside a pub for over 1 hour 45 minutes, even if they’re vaccinated.

Why is the real issue with nightclubs? Is it because the government is ruled by bitter old men, jealous of the youth and obsessed with a Christian notion of sin? If everyone in a nightclub was vaccinated and had a vaccine passport why would they need a time limit? If people are concerned about the risk they would have the option of not going.

No they can’t, or at least not if it’s a rainy day.

1 Like

1 By way of context, my initial complaint, which you replied to first, was that the time limit on indoor dining will be reintroduced even after there is a vaccine passport.

I meant I do not have any insider knowledge about pubs and time limits. I would infer the situation is evolving. Again, I make no apology for having no black and white solutions.

2 To say “I do not know about pubs and a time limit” doesn’t cut it here because that’s what the entire discussion was about, the necessity or lack thereof of having a time limit after the introduction of a vaccine cert. That’s really the end of our debate because you’re not in a position to engage in a discussion about combining indoor time limits with vaccine certs if you don’t know anything about time limits.

See above. I do not know for certain whether fully vaccinated people will be allowed to stay indoors in a pub for as long as they like. Quite possibly they will. Again, I would say nightclubs are far more of a moot issue, since a lot of nightclubs are not well ventilated.

3 More fundamental misunderstandings in this paragraph which I won’t waste our time engaging with.

Well, you sometimes sound as if you are suffering from Stockholm Syndrome.

4 You clearly have an easy black and white solution - don’t let any young person inside a pub for over 1 hour 45 minutes, even if they’re vaccinated.

No, I do not. The difficulty lies in lack of certainty as yet about whether vaccinated people can pass on the virus if they contract it. Which brings me back to my original point: the greater the percentage of people, across all age groups, who are vaccinated, the safer the dynamic – and the greater the chance of easing any remaining restrictions, time limits included. A vaccinated person carrying the virus cannot give it, in most circumstances, to another vaccinated person. The core problem is a mixing of vaccinated and unvaccinated people in certain contexts. Surely this crux is not difficult to understand? And there is only one rational way out of this crux.

5 Why is the real issue with nightclubs? Is it because the government is ruled by bitter old men, jealous of the youth and obsessed with a Christian notion of sin?

You debase significant topics with this childish nonsense. For what saying so is worth, I gave plenty of time in places such as Gatecrasher and Bed, even though I preferred smaller places such as YesBut in Oxford. I have no objection to nightclubs and clubs. Far from it. Sin… What is that yoke? Supporting Ingerlund?

6 If everyone in a nightclub was vaccinated and had a vaccine passport why would they need a time limit? If people are concerned about the risk they would have the option of not going.

For god’s sake… You are making my argument for me. This scenario is precisely the one I anticipate.

7 No they can’t, or at least not if it’s a rainy day.

Not so in Kilkenny.

Whats that the vaccines work? Yeah science

Dutch PM apologises for relaxing Covid restrictions too soon as cases surge

Dutch prime minister Mark Rutte apologised for relaxing coronavirus restrictions too soon as cases surge in the wake of reopening.

Rutte reimposed measures on bars, restaurants and nightclubs in the Netherlands as cases spread rapidly among young people, just two weeks after lifting curbs, according to Reuters. Restaurants and bars will have their opening hours restricted during midnight to 6am, while clubs will be closed entirely.

“What we thought would be possible, turned out not to be possible in practice,” Rutte told reporters on Monday. “We had poor judgement, which we regret and for which we apologise.”

Infection levels in the Netherlands have risen to their highest levels of this year in recent days. However, as most case are young people, the rise in infections has yet to lead to a significant increase in hospitalisations – but the health minister, Hugo de Jonge, warned this could change if the “unprecedented” increase continues.

Closing bars from midnight to 6AM, how harsh is that.

4 Likes

Holland with a shambolic vaccine rollout

I saw an article on RTE referencing covid restrictions in Holland yesterday and headline was “Netherlands reimposes covid restrictions”. I had to laugh when I saw it was discos and night clubs. Are bars even licenced to open past 12 over there. In any case you probably have a load of people citing the cautionary tale of Netherlands when they are miles ahead of us in terms of society reopening. Disingenuous was the first thing that came into my head. Then I saw another headline that 90 year old woman died in Belgium. Again RTE website. They are utter cunts.

12 Likes

If they introduce the vaccine passport why would there be a mixing of vaccinated and unvaccinated people in restaurants, pubs and nightclubs? The whole point of the vaccine passport is to prevent the mixing of vaccinated and unvaccinated people. If it doesn’t achieve that then it’s done nothing.

Don’t say the staff, that’s just being deliberately obstructionist.

Maybe we don’t have any real disagreement but you should have read what my initial comment was about instead of just jumping in two footed like a reactionary.

Look, it’s you who is being completely over the top. I want to see a situation where the vast majority of people, of all ages, are vaccinated, which will mean most of the problems will recede and society can properly reopen. You are looking for immediate absolute transitions. Not going to happen in this fashion.

Not necessarily. I think the delta variant might he a good reason to delay reopening until some time in August. I just don’t think that time limits can be justified in conjunction with a vaccine passport and I think that they render the entire vaccine passport scheme pointless, from a patron’s point of view.

Also, although I think it might be worthwhile delaying until a vaccine passport scheme is put in place I think there is no excuse whatsoever for NPHET not mentioning the possibility at least a month earlier and I think their timing of the suggestion was deliberately as un-cooperative as possible.

1 Like

She had her whole life in front of her ffs

2 Likes

I can see your point there, if only because it is expressed in plainer terms. The vaccine passport issue will become less serrated a topic as vaccination numbers rise.

I have no admiration for many figures in this crisis. Maybe NPHET are anti alcohol etc. Speculation does not appeal to me, though.

1 Like

More public service inefficiency. @Horsebox could have gotten his office’s tea lady to look after the mail for them :rofl:

I agree with you on timing plus vaccine passport. But the scheme is supposed to operate only til October I think.

Although watch this space, they’ve codded me before.

1 Like

On vaccine passports…wouldn’t it just be better to just have designated safe spaces for people who have had their vaccine?

This is it, I’m just assuming this will go on until 2022 at a minimum.

Quite a sensible idea. Just an extension of ‘bubble’ principle.

I mean it does make some sense for that interim period until we’ve essentially everyone except @The_Most_Infamous vaccinated. By sept I don’t think you can justify it, as you say. But as an interim measure it’s attempting to strike a balance.

You’d have to promise not to let your breath circulate over as far as the other bubble at the far side of the hall.