Coronavirus Thread - Pause before - The Final Battle (Part 1)

I don’t deny that at all. It’s a shitty virus that can make people really sick and for a very small percentage of society it can be lethal.

The one crumb of comfort is that we have seen hospitalisations go from around 200 to the 744 today in the space of 3 weeks, this is quite similar to the increase in March/April.

I suspect we will still go a good deal higher than March/April though.

:grinning: :grinning: It is you who is using anecdotal evidence to back your entrenched belief that it’s all a cod. You don’t seem to be able to quite grasp that different approaches were adopted by different countries. Irelan’s high median age is because of the restrictions. The UKs average ICU age of 61 is because of their failed approach. Jesus wept.

1 Like

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.07.12.20148387v3

Life expectancy is dropping by up to a year all over the World.

This virus has a worse affect on already old and sick people, but that’s just logical. Already old and sick people are always going to be the worst affected.

Using them as a statistical shield to try and strengthen your position is a weak stance. Of course more old and sick people are dying. That doesn’t make the disease any less dangerous to health services all over the world.

Do you want to wait until health services are clogged up everywhere and young people are getting care before old people and the doctors have to decide who gets a chance or not before you’ll accept a little bit of discomfort?

2 Likes

You need to be very careful Tim, you’re in a vulnerable age-group.

Their simple minds seem to be only capable of registering two possible Covid outcomes

1. Old person dies.
  2. Sweat it out overnight and all good after.

Either outcome to them is acceptable, they’re gasping for a pint.

1 Like

@flattythehurdler

Tell Jeeves to put a sock in it.

Listen I wouldn’t be too bothered about a year of my life attached to a drip, not being able to remember your own name, on 40 tablets a day, infirmed and shitting into a nappy being cut short.

It’s quality of life that is most important.

2 Likes

In fairness too I think that hospitalisations rather than deaths are now the main concern. There’s still very few deaths but theres hardly even a mention of them either.
The continued obsession with cases as all that are mentioned in headlines etc is still very annoying though. It actually doesn’t suit nphets case in the long run they should put more focus on the hospitalisation and icu figure.
A good few people talk about the lack of flu cases and lack of people on trollies too to support OIUTF. That could easily be seen as something that backs NPHETs approach. Imagine all of last years trolley numbers added to this year’s.

I have never once said that this is a cod. The rest of your post is the usual guff you come out with when actual data is presented to you.

1 Like

Can everyone please stop the finger pointing about how we got here and let the CMO point his finger at the hospitality sector in peace?

3 Likes

this is what no lockdown looks like to the people who have to deal with sick people

1 Like

Is the drop in life expectancy solely down to the virus? Or possibly partly attributed to the government’s reaction to the virus? Poor people seem to be more affected according to the articles you posted there and we know that lockdowns have made poor people poorer. I don’t want our health service overrun at all. We could end up in a situation where we have thousands of people lying around on trolleys if the current numbers keep climbing. Can you imagine that terrifying vista?

1 Like

Either the virus or the response to it. They aren’t mutually exclusive. They can’t be. You either accept the possibility of short term devastation or you try to mitigate against it. Either way is bad. There is no winning here

You’re the one that suggests Ireland adopt the Swedish approach when Sweden themselves are saying they’ve got it wrong. You give out stink about lockdown but like many sceptics don’t give a viable alternative that has been shown to work. You trot out the old “only the elderly die” as if there are only two outcomes to covid. The article is an attempt at informing sceptics like yourself that it’s not that simple.

1 Like

But the virus being here isn’t a choice whereas the response to it is. I always find your dismissive attitude to the carnage that the lockdowns have caused as “a bit of discomfort” as comforting and gives me knowledge that people like you are away with the fucking fairies and need to be challenged or who knows where we will end up.

9 Likes

but sure you’re equally as dismissive about the carnage caused by the virus as sure it’s only a few old people dying anyway.

I’m referring to you individually when I say a bit of discomfort.

There are people that will have been adversely affected, savagely. Middle class people who can go on the internet aren’t in that category.

Do you champion for them in all walks of life or only when it suits you?

1 Like

There were estimates of one month excess mortality caused by this back in the summer and it doesn’t look to be a million miles off with 15%. You can give or take a month either side depending on what your 2019 was like, population demographics and your reaction to Covid.

It does need to be put in perspective though, for the excess deaths in the UK, we were talking about a similar number of dead in Ireland. I don’t think there’s much doubt that this caps out in terms of excess deaths at a certain rate, New York is your prime example. 20% with antibodies by June with a huge number of excess deaths to that point. Deaths will continue as this is the dominant respiratory strain and there is a new group of susceptible people, but it’s a fraction of what it was.

2 Likes

That ‘article’ is beyond risible – just froth on the ‘Great Barrington Declaration’. She is another AIER shill.

I will come back to it. More important things to do than comb nonsense for the moment.

This topic was automatically closed after reaching the maximum limit of 10000 replies. Continue discussion at Coronavirus Thread - Pause before - The Final Battle (Part 2).