Coronavirus Thread - Pause before - The Final Battle (Part 1)

Christmas is the most wonderful time of the year. Iā€™m itching to get the decorations up.

there will be no craic this christmas, just a meaningful christmas

I have two pals in Waterford that I have been friends with since I was a teenager. We go to the hurling matches together.

Then I have a few pals in Dublin that I used to hurl with. Pre pandemic we met 4 or 5 times a year ostensibly to play cards but actually to spin yarns and drink whiskey.

2 Likes

it will be a Christmas like no other for young people, it will actually be horrific, those cunts of a government and the nepht are actually stealing yer lives and ye are just sitting back and taking it

2 Likes

I thoroughly enjoy the build up to Christmas. Doing the shopping on grafton street is always very nice.

The real Christmas for me is the 26th with all the quality racing on. I head to Dublin for a few days then to go racing on the 27th/28th with all my friends who are usually home for a few days. I usually have a quiet enough New year before spending a few days in early January in dingle speculating on the year ahead.

For me there wonā€™t be much of Christmas. Unlikely many friends or family will be home along with the pubs and restaurants being closed.

Iā€™m absolutely dreading the misery of it to be honest.

2 Likes

This talk of a meaningful Christmas is very sinister.

Let me put my ā€œJacques Derrida hatā€ on. I love my Jacques Derrida hat.

The idea that we could have a meaningful Christmas clearly allows for the possibility of opposite - a meaningless Christmas. And the fact that the government will decide on whether Christmas is meaningful clearly implies that the government could also decide to make Christmas meaningless if it so wanted. I would argue that it is not for the government to decide for the public whether Christmas is meaningful or not. The public must decide that for themselves. This is the language of tyranny.

3 Likes

its too late, everyone I talk to at home has just accepted the situation, TFK is an outlier, Holohan and his cronies have won

Itā€™ll be miserable.

No 12 pubs, no racing, no Xmas Eve mass, no Dingle for New Yearā€™s, No Christy Moore at Vicar Street and not even a wedding that you might have a few stories to tell about afterwards.

But, but, but, TG4 will probably show Kildanganā€™s County Final win and maybe even the 2004 Munster hurling final.

4 Likes

On the plus side I wont have to stay with inlaws.

8 Likes

Christmas will be magic this yearā€¦ Spending it with friends and family and no pubs .

2 Likes

Iā€™d say youā€™re really looking forward to it?

I amā€¦ Little one is running around the place now and will have her little cousins aroundā€¦ Weā€™ll all be sipping on whiskey and eating grub while watching festive favourites and some sportā€¦ Youā€™ve the rest of the year to go to pubs and not talk to anyoneā€¦ Christmas is magic.

1 Like

Pubs in December up to Christmas Eve are generally awful places. Too busy, too messy.

They are nice after Christmas Day to catch up with pals you donā€™t see too often.

The three or four weekends in the run up to Christmas are magical, Stephenā€™s day all dayer is the best session of the year. All steady training for the best drinking month of the year, January. We live in hope

3 Likes

He only knows fear and locking people at home as the way to control this, itā€™s a low point for this entire area of medicine.

1 Like

We used to have the married vs singles match in Mount Sion on Stephenā€™s Day. Dickie Roche, God rest him, would bring out a few bottles of rum for the half time drink.

Good times.

6 Likes

Have you any post-war Christmas traditions?

2 Likes

Fuck the 5km rule. Am off to portmarnock.

4 Likes

Iā€™ll see you there. But Iā€™ll have the kids so no funny business.

Gardai notified

1 Like