Cost of building

absolutely. in reality, architects should have been doing this anyway and their role really shouldnt have changed that much. some are just taking advantage of the fact that its a new legislation and are scaring the shit out of people. I saw someone on another forum claim a big house build was being charged 50k. obviously there is an extra charge on increased site visits and additional paperwork, but there is a level that some are going way past on their charges. I know of others who havent charged extra, but they would be on the higher rate of original fees anyway.

It’s almost as bad as the capitalist pigs thread.

We’re talking domestics here Fagan.

I never said it doesn’t hold responsibility, I said it was self-regulation, which it is. This leaves it open to abuse, no matter what the penalty.

[QUOTE=“caoimhaoin, post: 1079194, member: 273”]I’m talking about workmanship and later accidents. One of the most likely disasters in an Irish home is a major leak or plumbing issue that leads to flooding and maybe ground floor ceilings coming thru or the likes of that.
Is a certified responsible for that?
Or like your example, responsible for a fire caused by poor wiring?[/QUOTE]

It’s more focused on issues of fire safety, structural stability, disabled access etc. Workmanship is still the responsibility of the contractor, that’s why you should put contracts in place

Ok ya, that’s clearer, and where it differs from Oz.

Could it get to a stage where an architect and a structural eng. will be needed? I mean while having an idea, an architect won’t have the structural experience an eng. would have on say a big Reno.

Definitely, but there is just one assigned certifier and the structural engineer will feed into him with any certification

So am I.

Very few fire doors domestically. Far bigger issues in a regular home.

Personally I’d be looking out for energy losses, potential cracks, plaster standards, damp courses, window/door seals etc etc

you need fire doors and protected stairwells in all 3 storey houses here, whats the story in spudland? I suppose 1 battery operated smoke detector in the sitting room is adequate for Irish standards

[SIZE=5]Seven Irish arrested over WA renovation scam
[/SIZE]
http://www.irishecho.com.au/2015/01/23/seven-irish-arrested-over-wa-renovation-scam/33476

kev?

[QUOTE=“Tassotti, post: 1079247, member: 361”][SIZE=5]Seven Irish arrested over WA renovation scam
[/SIZE]
http://www.irishecho.com.au/2015/01/23/seven-irish-arrested-over-wa-renovation-scam/33476

kev?[/QUOTE]
Ironic the women scammed was an O Driscoll.

That’s old news, knackers have been there for a while.

Not sure about fire doors in 3 story, assume another exit means a fire exit on it.

[QUOTE=“caoimhaoin, post: 1079233, member: 273”]Very few fire doors domestically. Far bigger issues in a regular home.

Personally I’d be looking out for energy losses, potential cracks, plaster standards, damp courses, window/door seals etc etc[/QUOTE]
Here kev, I’m not talking about fire exits. I’m talking about fire doors that act as fire breaks. I’m not speaking as a professional here but as an end user and from what I could see the big things under the regs were fire safety, energy efficiency and wheelchair access.

Has anyone actually answered jimmys question yet?

yes. were you not reading our PM exchange last night?

yes, I did, I gave him a link to a website detailing high end timber frame passive houses. On that link there was a price list

eh?

[QUOTE=“The Selfish Giant, post: 1079336, member: 80”]yes, I did, I gave him a link to a website detailing high end timber frame passive houses. On that link there was a price list

eh?[/QUOTE]
I think mac just got bogged down in the amount of utter shit that was talked afterwards.

[QUOTE=“The Selfish Giant, post: 1079336, member: 80”]yes, I did, I gave him a link to a website detailing high end timber frame passive houses. On that link there was a price list

eh?[/QUOTE]

Apologies mate. I just got bogged down in all the utter shite thats been discussed afterwards.

@Joe Player, please lock the thread.

dont worry about not seeing that mate, you probably just got bogged down in all the utter shit thats been disucussed afterwards