Covid the fallout

A thread to document the shit storm that comes after.

Airbus say they could axe 15k jobs.

The break up of the E.U.

:popcorn:

Popcorn this thread, not the hardship many will face due to the pandemic.

The recovery, or what’s close to it will co incide with a deterioration of the environment and resource depletion, which will fuel inequality. Fun times ahead.

May we live in interesting times

Pubs

Just what we needed - yet another covid thread

13 Likes

Some lads on here are obsessed with covid threads

3 Likes

You need to relax

3 years time
The Irish ambassador in Washington been asked to step aside so Mee-hawl can be made
ambassador to make up for no Patrick’s day trip in 2’21.

Hang your head

44 and counting, including these two threads. Will fellas not spare a thought for the poor jiggabytes on @Rocko’s server.

Universal basic income.

Lower home ownership.

More inequality.

Greater government control and potentially rolling lockdowns versus every variant of a respitory virus that we face going forward.

Digital vaccine certificates

Further transfer of wealth from Amazon etc from your family run SME’s.

Huge profit for Pzizer, Moderna, Oxford Astra Zeneca etc

To name just a few I reckon.

Mass emigration. I think a lot of people who came when their countries were admitted to the EU particularly from Eastern European countries will return home or at least work in another European country which will be on same land mass and not rely on air travel to get home. We will probably see plenty of outward migration of young people as well seeking a better quality of life. I’m not sure there is another country in the world who have had as harsh conditions as us. Literally anywhere would be better. North America, Canada and Middle East probably popular landing spots.

The living wage is going to get snuck in here under the radar to make work more attractive and get people off the PUP…

Universal sick pay also being looked at

And auto enrolment on pensions…

All of above are brilliant developments for the employee in this country but have the potential to cripple small business…

3 Likes

But we have some of the mildest weather, that’s going to be a huge factor as people are forced out of areas due to climate change.

UK?

They are all locked in their houses in Toronto as well. Although they always are around this time of year

Yeah I am not sure about UK Im sure they will be back up and running in no time. But Brexit now throws a spanner in the works. New trade deals with some APAC countries with big markets offer a lot of hope for them. If Scotland secede from the union in next few years we could be in right trouble from a FDI standpoint. It is the only thing keeping the lights on in this country. The SME sector has been driven into the ground. Most budgets would have not factored in being closed for half of 2021. People say we can borrow at 0% ignore the fact that structurally the budget deficit could become a long term one. Social welfare supports become permanent, long term unemployment etc.

1 Like

It differs from province to province. I’ve a brother in Vancouver and they have very limited restrictions. Can drink in a bar with people from 2 households. Things like that.