Crazy Dublin Rents and House Prices

Why do Irish councillors and politicians always look to what the Brits do instead of looking to real progressive countries and our European friends?

Noticed flying out of Spain last week and up through the country, you could see a town in a general circle, countryside, then town, countryside, then town etc. All looked to be a lot more planned, but being around certain parts of Spain north and south, I wouldnā€™t say thatā€™s always the case, and a lot of the old apartment buildings are horrific looking. Malaga is an example of a very very ugly city once you get out of the old centre. But in general, you have apartment living concentrated in one area.

Once we flew into Ireland you could make out the roads from the air by the low density housing lining them.

great news

Because we got away with it for years with a small population. The city was low rise and people expected gardens. The northside and southside essentially developed backwards from the rail/sea, except for historic near core towns like Terenure/Drumcondra etc.

A mess was also made of Ballymun which gave rise to not just a fear of ā€œhigh riseā€, but any sort of apartment blocks.

Hopefully they plan to build these apartments without short cutting on fire safety standards like they did with almost every development built in the last 15 years

Didnā€™t they reduce the minimum square footage of apartments to make them smaller so that they can put more in?

As long as self certification is in place, shortcuts will always be taken. God knows what shortcuts they would find if they were to do building inspections on what was built in the last boom.

Plenty of Spanish towns have been destroyed. The centres are preserved, but the outskirts are horrific, granada for instance. Iā€™d blame the 60ā€™s and 70ā€™s more than anything.
Imho, those Dublin designs are depressing. Awful dreary unimaginative shite.

1 Like

What makes them uninspiring?

They are far better than the squat glass box apartments in GCD. It looks like a proper area.

Which parts of Granada? Iā€™m in the process of moving to Granada. A slow move, but been over there quite a bit. Always struck me that the suburbs arenā€™t too bad. Lots of wide roads but I suppose itā€™s lower density. Granted, where Iā€™ll be living isnā€™t the best design of an apartment, but I wonā€™t complain for now. Itā€™s still way bigger than anything Iā€™d ever get in Dublin.
There are some horrible apartments as you go in to the centre of Granada alright. Bilbao, San Sebastian, Malaga etc are ugly as f*ck on the way in, but nice once you get in to the centre.

Dublin is the opposite. Ok on the way in, and not nice once you get in there!

1 Like

The southside Georgian Core of Dublin and College Green/Trinity is fantastic.

The IFSC is boring, but many developments like that are. GCD has some excellent buildings, itā€™s a shame there are a few too many boring low rise glass boxes but they are inoffensive.

The problem in Dublin City Centre at the moment is the Tara Street area which is well on its way to being redeveloped. Outside of that, the big issue is the north inner city which is ripe for renewal. There arenā€™t too many cities that have problems though to be frank.

1 Like

Well, what about them inspires you Tim?

I think they look excellent. Varied designs, a lovely corner building with ridge detailing and good looking streetscapes.

You can be quite a negative fellow, describing the below as depressing is a bit much.

The materials and finishing will he important. Capital Dock looked quite cool in the renders but Kennedy Wilson are cheap.

1 Like

Whatever floats your boat

Smile, God loves you

Very chic and cosmopolitan.

1 Like

Apparently Cark is gone mental for the renting as well. Canā€™t get a place and if you can itā€™s mad money

lolzers

1 Like

Nobody gives a shit about Cork or other secondary cities in here.

3 Likes

Agreed

In comparison to no mans land across the river maybe. Nothing special whsn you go to see other European capitals.

Still great to see apartments, its the way forward. Hopefully facebook or some Canadian pension fund donā€™t buy all of them.

Prices are jumping all around the country. I donā€™t know why though you are getting no value for it outside of dublin. Paying a fortune to live in any munster city is very unappealing.