Crazy Dublin Rents and House Prices

Dublin is a bland shithole. No redeeming features at all.

Its a mixed bag. The south inner city is tolerable but too close to the wasteland of the northside and liberties. The southside coastline is a fine spot, all the way to killiney, a few nice pockets on the northside which have been overly documented on tfk, the rest of the northside and west dublin is bleak really, very dirty, with crammed estates. People wanting gardens you wouldnā€™t swing a rat in.

how twee

Gibberish. The south side of the city is beloved by tourists. There are very few cities in the world which have a University Campus of the uninterrupted historic significance, architecture and scale of Trinity right in the middle of the city centre.

Is Dublin like Paris, absolutely not, but it stands up the most European cities.

1 Like

This is mostly spot on but I think the Liberties has some character and some interesting features although most of the houses are of very poor quality inside. Rathmines has some interesting features also. The price of property in Phibsboro is insane. Thatā€™s a micro-bubble Iā€™d say.

The Metro will be going through there and it is close to the CBD, I wouldnā€™t bet on that.

1 Like

It wouldnt make a top 50 of European cities ffs. ā€¦ But that depends on what youā€™re judging it on i suppose ā€¦ the craic in Dublin do be 90.

Madrid, Barcelona and Seville from Spain alone are all much nicer cities.
Lisbon. Paris, Bordeaux, Vienna, Rome, Florence, Verona, Krakow, Edinbrugh, Antwerp, Bruges, Moscow, Prague, Budapest, Amsterdam, Ghent, St. Petersburg, Zurich, Dubrovnik ā€¦

They all trump it ā€¦ and they are just the ones off the top of my head that iā€™ve been to. - (iā€™ve never been to Russia)

1 Like

You named about 20 there, including Moscow and St Petersburg which youā€™ve admitted to never been to. Good man.

Hard to argue with this. Outside the old Anglo Irish parts on the south side and a certain historical charm of the Liberties, Dublin is ugly as fuck.

The only reason the Customs House is on the North side is so that the prods would have something nice to look at when they looked across the river.

4 Likes

Yes ā€¦ did you see the part where I said ā€˜just off the top of my headā€™ - would you like the full 50?

Dublin has very little going for it as a city aesthetically ā€¦ No ā€˜cityā€™ in Ireland does really as the others are too small to compare to the rest - but they do have some lovely featuresā€¦

You named 20, several of which you admitted to not being to. Iā€™m just interested is all.

Not several - 2 - I havent been to 2 - But I dont think youā€™d even argue against Moscow and St. Petersburg. Iā€™m sure the rest of TFK could make it the list of european cities that are far nicer than Dublin if you likeā€¦ Iā€™d nearly wager that it would almost stretch to 100 cities

So outside of the majority of the CBD then. Riggggghhhht

Lads here bringing up shithole suburbs on the west side, have you ever gone to somewhere and not on a city break?

As an aside, Christchurch and the Liberties will be gems in 20 years. The shame at the moment is that they are a little outside the true core of the city. DART Underground when built will open the city centre up westwards.

Iā€™ll tell you where really disappointed me for architectural prettiness was Belfast. The Unionists go mad for it, say its far better than Dublin. Most northern nationalists even seem to agree with that.

The small city centre is great, probably better than Dublin, City Hall obviously class and also a genuine civic space. Titanic quarter is ok, just a lot of modern paving and the titanic centre. Outside that though it gets bleak as fuck very quickly.

Can anyone give a non-biased view on Belfast? Is the Shankill road as nice as itā€™s supposed to be?

Iā€™m buying an apartment in St James Gate at the moment, becoming an adult.

1 Like

Yeah I wouldnā€™t rate Moscow that high personally.

If we take a city like Budapest for example, it is a genuinely beautiful city. However walk a couple of minutes to your left or right and you will soon see absolute shitheaps. A lot of the core is also defaced with graffiti. These things are far less noticeable as a tourist - but if youā€™re a repeat visitor or live there it becomes very noticeable.

It does not take you long in most cities to walk into a shithole.

Ah like all cities it has its plusses and minuses. It misses a ā€œbig-drawā€ monument like an Eiffel Tower or an Edinburgh Castle alright, but social wise, for ating and dranking itā€™s hard-bet for a city of its size. Like all Irish cities it misses a propa auld square. Phoenix Park is underrated by us natives. Transport infrastructure, it goes without saying, is an utter mess. Having spent a week in Oslo recently, its not that bad overall anyways.

Have you ever been to Buenos Aires? Itā€™s like a huge beautiful European City in South America. Iā€™m sure itā€™s no shortage of slums but the beautiful city centre is absolutely fucking massive.

Belfast was fine, but itā€™s economic strength was as an industrial city.

Dublin was and is the administrative and educational hub of Ireland so has more public buildings of a historic vintage.

The stuff like the Shank, Sandy Row etc are not exactly architectural marvels, theyā€™re a different experience.

1 Like

Iā€™d add Munich, Berlin, Wroclaw, Venice, London to that list

Smaller places like Bath, York, Nantes etc. are also much, much nicer.